Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chest Pains?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:27 AM
  • 14 Replies

So yesterday Dh and I took the kids to the grocery store and normally I push the cart and hubby walks with our 3 year old, but yesterday I let him push the cart because he walks faster so I thought we'd be out of the store sooner. As we were headed to the checkout I had a terrible pain in my chest I almost fell into the aisle, I could barely breathe and I couldn't yell ahead so hubby could hear me. After maybe 30 seconds the pain was gone, but has come back every half hour since I woke  up this morning. If I go to the hospital I know they're going to say that I need to quit smoking, or it's just stress. Every time I see a doctor for any reason all they say is quit smoking, lose some weight, and don't get upset so easily. Should I be more concerned for my health? I'm only 20 years old so I don't think there is anything wrong with me. My mom passed away in 1995 from congestive heart failure, is this hereditary should I be checked? Or just relax and quit freaking out? Sorry... I have anxiety and worry way too much about everything!

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JennyH66
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:31 AM
Get it checked.
Santina25
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:33 AM
Yes you should get it checked out! And the doctors are right, quitting smoking and losing weght is really helpful for your health! I quit last august and feel a lot better
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:33 AM

IMO I would seek your reg doctor just to talk about it.  Better safe than sorry.  Chest pains are no joke.  I've been battling chest pains (feels like a 20lb weight on my chest), shortness of breath & rapid heart beat for a few months now.  I previously went a few months back to my doctor and she said it's probably stress (i'm 29 btw).  Since i'm also having 2 periods a month and under a great deal due to my health issues.  But it's getting worse.  Soo I went again to her and I see the cardiologist on Friday.  I'm so nervous.  I hope and pray it IS just stress.  But dammit I wanna figure out how not to stress so much.  I do it not even realizing i'm doing it.  A lot of it boils down to my health issues which I cannot get over...  I live in pain and am facing multiple surgeries on my back.  Soo idk how to overcome it.  But the chest pains and stuff really scares me.  So my first thought is...  to make an appt with your primary dr :)  GL to you!

GreekMama89
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:35 AM

maybe you have a heart murmmer, i have a mild one & stupid things set it off. like if over do it physically or if i have high levels of stress or anxiety, they tend to go away once i calm myself down. just to be safe maybe you should get it checked out.

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Does that give you chest pains?

My doctor dropped the ball on me the other week.  Mentioned I have a murmur.  First EVER i've heard that.  I was like wtf.   I only associated them with kids.  Can you get them as an adult?  Because if not idk how they missed that all the times I was in the hosp and at the dr as a kid.

Quoting GreekMama89:

maybe you have a heart murmmer, i have a mild one & stupid things set it off. like if over do it physically or if i have high levels of stress or anxiety, they tend to go away once i calm myself down. just to be safe maybe you should get it checked out.

GreekMama89
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:51 AM

yes it can give you some pretty severe chest pains, atleast for me it does when it gets set off. you might of had it your whole life and didnt know it. they found mine when i was bout 8 or 9. and i have had acute asthma since i was born so im always in the ER or DR. office, its my second home but anyways all those doctors missed it to. some doctors just suck and dont see the ovbious unless you say something.

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

My doctor dropped the ball on me the other week.  Mentioned I have a murmur.  First EVER i've heard that.  I was like wtf.   I only associated them with kids.  Can you get them as an adult?  Because if not idk how they missed that all the times I was in the hosp and at the dr as a kid.

Quoting GreekMama89:

mommy74146
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:54 AM
Well I agree with the doctors you do need to quit smoking. Do you drink energy drinks, like monster, red bull, amp etc..?
darcibeisheim
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Chest pains can be anything from heart releated to reflux to muscle spasam. The only way to rule out the heart is to take a look at the heart, by means of an ekg or echocardiogram, and cardiac emyzyems (bloodwork).

Heart disease is heriditary, and is a risk factor for a heart attack, as well is obeisty, smoking, stress, poor eating habits, ect.

Just because you are young doesn't mean that you can not have heart problems. My BBF's brother had not one but 2 heart attacks at age 18. Many people find out during testing that they have had a heart attack in the past. Heart attacks cause the cardiac muscle to die and it is one of the tissues in the body that will not regenerate itself.

With that being said, you need to have it checked and diagnosed. Its probably nothing to worry about, but you never know.

darcibeisheim
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Murmers are usually a sound you hear while listening to the heart sounds, that happens when one of the valuves don't close all the way. They are usually harmless, but can cause problems too. They can be hard to hear, and might not be heard everytime.

Quoting GreekMama89:

yes it can give you some pretty severe chest pains, atleast for me it does when it gets set off. you might of had it your whole life and didnt know it. they found mine when i was bout 8 or 9. and i have had acute asthma since i was born so im always in the ER or DR. office, its my second home but anyways all those doctors missed it to. some doctors just suck and dont see the ovbious unless you say something.

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

Quoting GreekMama89:

Periwinkle Awareness RibbonEsophageal Atresia Awareness

RoseRenae10
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:17 AM

No I don't, I used to but they make me sick to my stomach but I do drink a LOT of coffee and pepsi. Sometimes when I get these pains I relax as much as I can (having two kids makes it almost impossible to relax) and drink water the rest of the day and usually it helps avoiding the caffeine.

Quoting mommy74146:

Well I agree with the doctors you do need to quit smoking. Do you drink energy drinks, like monster, red bull, amp etc..?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)