Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Welfare Fraud

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

DH called to see if we would qualify for food stamps or WIC.  We weren't sure about getting it, but we figured it wouldn't hurt to know it was available if things got any tighter financially.

Well, we didn't qualify b/c with our combined income we make too much!  My income is a retirement check for only $1200 a month.  (We knew going in that we probably made too much, but DH's supervisor kept insisting we find out for sure.)

So, the lady tells DH:
Just come into the office, and only report your income.  Nobody really investigates these things, and you'd qualify that way!

WHAT?!  Did the employee just tell us to commit fraud!?

It goes w/o saying that we WILL NOT be taking this lovely advice.

(Anon b/c I have family on site and I don't want them knowing squat about our finances.)

Taking son to school, then will be back to read replies.  Keep it nice!  This isn't a bash on PA, it's just disbelief.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sunfireprincess
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this
There is a huge problem with this in our country ohio does not check most of the time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:56 AM
When i was prego with my DD they told me i made too much for wic. Not a big deal for me at all. But when the women told me to just quit so i "could be taken care of" i got pissed. Then my dd's medical (yes state bc my jobs ins was non existant) i was trying to get them to send the application into CHIP (a program that you pay for ins based on your income) and the lady said "just have your doctor say that she has asthma or something along those lines and she'll still be covered by the state" WTH is going on...no wonder people in this area are so care free about being on PA
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:58 AM

wow your dh gets $1200 a month on retirement? How old is he? 

Reason for my asking is because my so's dad gets retirement/disability and he's 68 years old and he only gets $800 a month... I think that's rediculous... but I guess it all depends on how much you put in over the years of working!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:04 AM

I get $1200 for retirement, not DH.  I'm 25, but was injured in the military, so it's military retirement.  I also get to keep my insurance and benefits.  I'm HOPING to be able to work productively again and earn much more, and come out of retirement someday.  But who knows how my recovery will go?  It's been 5 years and I'm still 'unemployable."

Quoting Anonymous:

wow your dh gets $1200 a month on retirement? How old is he? 

Reason for my asking is because my so's dad gets retirement/disability and he's 68 years old and he only gets $800 a month... I think that's rediculous... but I guess it all depends on how much you put in over the years of working!

2004MAMA715
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:16 AM
When I became a single mom and started working again I applied for child care and was told I made too much money ($800 a month with 2 kids). The lady I talked to said if I could take a leave from work it would make me eligible for cash assistance which would then make me eligible for child care.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:47 AM

frustrated

I have no problem whatsoever with people who NEED it, but I can't believe how we are being encouraged to lie or take advantage of the system by the people working in the offices right there!

And can you imagine the trouble we'd be in if we DID get caught lying?  I doubt that lady in the office would take the fall for giving us that advice!

Quoting Anonymous:

When i was prego with my DD they told me i made too much for wic. Not a big deal for me at all. But when the women told me to just quit so i "could be taken care of" i got pissed. Then my dd's medical (yes state bc my jobs ins was non existant) i was trying to get them to send the application into CHIP (a program that you pay for ins based on your income) and the lady said "just have your doctor say that she has asthma or something along those lines and she'll still be covered by the state" WTH is going on...no wonder people in this area are so care free about being on PA

celestegood
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Uh, I was told by a worker once to quit my job so my disabled son could keep getting medicaid.  I had to since he can't get normal insurance.  He was born with one lung, and his health is more important than my pride.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:00 AM
What is sad is I know people doing this where I live I have reported it and the office asked why didn't I do it. Umm I don't need it why would I do it. It's sad that people do this.
My brother could use the help he has 3 kids they told him he makes $3 to much so what did he do?!? He went and got a second job to support his family. Go figure insted of lieing he got a second job.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:02 AM

And that is stupid b/c he should have qualified  no matter what given his condition!  I'm sorry they did that to you.

Quoting celestegood:

Uh, I was told by a worker once to quit my job so my disabled son could keep getting medicaid.  I had to since he can't get normal insurance.  He was born with one lung, and his health is more important than my pride.

celestegood
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:42 AM

That's the problem.  I have applied for social security disability for children for him twice, and been denied both times.

I was told that as an adult with his health problems, he would qualify.  But as a child, he does not.

I was told he would have to be on disability to qualify for anything.  Maybe it varies by state?

Quoting Anonymous:

And that is stupid b/c he should have qualified  no matter what given his condition!  I'm sorry they did that to you.

Quoting celestegood:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)