Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How were you raised?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:20 AM
  • 89 Replies

I deleted the last one, because I hit enter too soon, so sorry for that! LOL!

Anyway, 

How were you raised, did you have strict parents that didn't let you out of the house? 

Or 

Did you have the cool parents that didn't give you curfews (and what not)?

How did you act as a teen? Were you wild? Were you "good"? Did you get in any trouble? Do you think your behavior was because of the way you were raised? 

I'm only asking out of curiosity! And I sort of want some ideas on what not to do or what to do when my kids hit the terrifying teenage years! LOL!

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
noneya79
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:22 AM

BUMP!

ReadWriteLuv
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:23 AM

I may as well as have been raised by wolves. Seriously. My parents were totally hands off and not interested in anything I did until my senior year of high school, then they decided to try and crack down. Uhhhh, wasn't having it.  Fights ensued. I was a wild child to say the least. I ended up running away and moving out after I turned 18. I came back, but it was not a good time.

GirlWSlingshot
My parents didn't pay that much attention. I was a pretty good kid though. No smoking, drinking, having sex, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluespagan

My parents we divorced so I was raised in two different ways.

Mom was a parent who parented by emotion and intuition. She was the type of parent that would hold you when you were sick and she barely ever spanked us.  She was very carefree.  The best way to sum her up, when she gave me the Talk she ended it with, "try it, you'll like it".  She also took me to the clinic to get me on birth control.

Dad was super strict.  Church every Sunday and Wednesday, no makeup, no short skirts or sleeveless shirts and no dating.  I went to school, work, home and church.  I didn't live with him long lol.

noneya79
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Sounds like your parents were complete opposites. No wonder they divorced, lol! Do you think the way you were raised (between the two) made a difference in the decisions you made? Did you grow up fast? Or did you do a lot of "experimenting" (drugs, alcohol, etc)? I had the strict mom and laid back dad, and I did a lot of whatever I wanted to, while living with my mom, she was just so clueless! LOL

Quoting bluespagan:

My parents we divorced so I was raised in two different ways.

Mom was a parent who parented by emotion and intuition. She was the type of parent that would hold you when you were sick and she barely ever spanked us.  She was very carefree.  The best way to sum her up, when she gave me the Talk she ended it with, "try it, you'll like it".  She also took me to the clinic to get me on birth control.

Dad was super strict.  Church every Sunday and Wednesday, no makeup, no short skirts or sleeveless shirts and no dating.  I went to school, work, home and church.  I didn't live with him long lol.

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:28 AM
I had push over parents who if (very rarely) questioned me, I could tell any stupid lie and get away with it. That is why I had sex starting at 15, was drinking at 16, did drugs, stayed the night at people's houses they didn't know, and got pregnant at 17.

I am not that way with my kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommajenn4684
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:28 AM
My mom was super strict with me but each of my siblings there after she got more and more lenient. IM thankful that she was strict on me but some of my siblings are a hot mess! I was a normal teen I did some things that were probably not the best for me but you live and you learn.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
noneya79
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Yea it's never good to try and parent a teen after years of not parenting them! LOL! That's bound to end badly! haha! So is everything good between you and your parents now?

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I may as well as have been raised by wolves. Seriously. My parents were totally hands off and not interested in anything I did until my senior year of high school, then they decided to try and crack down. Uhhhh, wasn't having it.  Fights ensued. I was a wild child to say the least. I ended up running away and moving out after I turned 18. I came back, but it was not a good time.

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:29 AM

My parents were strict and loving. I only sneaked out of the house once and got caught lol! I love my parents to this day as do my siblings.

noneya79
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:31 AM

I think I can relate to you. My mom was super strict, but she was also super gullible! I was having sex at 15, drinking at 14-17. Doing drugs (pills and pot) between the age of 15-16... and i got pregnant by the time was 17, with a guy way older, that my mom never even knew i was talking to! She thought I was at my friend's house every single weekend! SMH! lol! 

Quoting kcangel63:

I had push over parents who if (very rarely) questioned me, I could tell any stupid lie and get away with it. That is why I had sex starting at 15, was drinking at 16, did drugs, stayed the night at people's houses they didn't know, and got pregnant at 17.

I am not that way with my kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)