Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I bring bad luck with me everywhere I go.. Very long post! Sorry

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 1 Replies
We have had issues with almost every school we've had our kids enrolled in so far. My son had undiagnosed ADHD in 2nd grade. He was at a Lutheran School and his teacher hated him. When I say "hated", I mean hated. I walked in unexpectedly and caught her belittling him. I'll admit, he was a handful, but he didn't deserve the treatment he got from her. So, for 3rd grade, I chose a good public school, out in the country. He was also diagnosed and subsequently treated for ADHD that year. The next 3 years were amazing! My dd started K that 3rd year. Her class went through 4 teachers in one year. Not so great for her, but we were on the right track with my son.
The next year was middle school for my ds. He was being bullied by other kids and starting to get depressed. The doctor decided to adjust his meds. He had a horrible reaction to the new meds. During the week that he was trying to adjust, his English teacher started singling him out. She KNEW his story, because I told her. Instead of trying to be more understanding, she used that information to humiliate him in front of the rest of the class. The year went downhill from there.
This year, I moved my kids to a charter school. It was a nice change. The school was supposed to go up through 8th grade, so we figured that we had at least 2 years for our son to work a little more on his social skills. His grades have never been an issue. He's been on the honor roll every year since K. Mid-year, the superintendent of the charter school, announces that she will be retiring effective immediately. They find a new guy to take her place. As I've found with most new superintendents, he felt as though he had something to prove. First order of business, do away with the 8th grade class. So, one year into what should have been a positive experience, and now we're having the rug pulled out from under us again. Having no choice in the matter, we begin the daunting task of, once again, searching for a good school. This means my dd will have to switch schools again, as well. All the school systems are on different schedules and I wouldn't have time to drag one kid to one end of town, and the other back across town, in the middle of rush hour each day. So, we find a nice private school with a great reputation!
We jump through the hoops necessary to get them accepted to this private school. They are very strict and expect a lot out of their students. My kids, are polite, very well behaved (now that my son's medicated), and very pleasant to be around. I think they'll fit in well at this new school.
Fast forward to this morning... It shows up on the news that two students from this very "prominent" school, have been arrested. The charges are *child molesting, criminal confinement, and a couple of other charges*. The suspects are 13 & 14 years old. The victim is 13. First of all, I'm trying to figure out how they came up with a charge of child molesting, when the kids were the same age. Anyone have a clue on that one? I'm also shocked , that out of all the schools I could have chosen, this is the one where this crime took place. I know bad things can happen anywhere, but this school touts such a big list of expectations of their students. The kids can get in trouble for shedding the school in a bad light, by their behavior, even when they're away from the school. For example, if they cause a ruckus at the mall, and it comes out that they're students from this school, then they can be reprimanded at school for that behavior. The students are held accountable for their behavior, even when they're not a school. I seriously feel like bad luck just follows us, wherever we go. My dh is against the idea of homeschooling, but I'm getting really freaked out about that fact that you literally cannot trust anyone anymore.
Sorry this was so long. I'm just wondering, what would you do in my situation? I'm assuming that these kids will be expelled from the school, but evidently, personal accountability isn't so common anymore. Would you go ahead and send your kids to this school, or would you start looking elsewhere?
I probably should add that this is a Christian School. I know that doesn't mean anything to a lot of you, but I was hoping it would be a safer environment for my kids.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:36 AM
I'd look elsewhere.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)