• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you taken online college courses?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:51 AM
  • 233 Replies

I so badly want to get a degree but with a new baby I'm thinking online is the way to go. If you have done this I have some questions....

1. What degree did you get?

2. How long did it take?

3. What was the cost? (If you don't mind)

Anything else you can think of telling me I would appreciate. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eckielady
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Bump

sweetcherry_59
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm currently working towards my degree and about half of my classes so far have been online. I highly recommend that you do your research. Those schools like University of Phoenix aren't always the best route. I'm going to my local college and I love it.

MamaK313
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:26 AM
I agree with previous post. I looked into University of Phoenix and it was ridiculous expensive compared to other universities in my state.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eckielady
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:28 AM

I have researched a bit and was surprised at prices. It seemed like it was MORE expensive to do online which is ridiculous to me. Part of my issue is that I hate being in crowds so going to a college kind of freaks me out. 

family0530
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I'm starting in May for online classes. I'm the same way with crowds, i hate them an them having to stand up an speak oh no!!! I have def. done my research an I've found a college that has the same prices as a local college if i would take on campus classes. It also depends on what your going for. I have two young children that will be in the house with me so i think the online classes are great for doing work on your own time. They give u your assignments a week at a time so that's great for me. Good Luck!!

iluv2meow
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:35 AM

nope I will not do it because I want real credentials and references. So I attend as a full time student IN COLLEGE.

bluespagan
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Yep 1. I am working on a Psych degree and will be picking up the online classes again this fall. Had to take a short hiatus due to DH's illness 2. It takes the same amount of time it would in the classroom. And it depends on how many classes you take and what type of degree you want to get (associates, bachelors...) 3. For me free, I did online through active duty and will be using my GI bill for the rest. It is time intensive in some cases. The learning portion is completely on you. most classes are set up forum style so you can talk with classmates and participate but your professor won't lecture like he/she would in a classroom.
bluespagan
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:37 AM

I will have REAL credentials and references.  I will be going through the Johnson State Extended Degree Program. 

Quoting iluv2meow:

nope I will not do it because I want real credentials and references. So I attend as a full time student IN COLLEGE.

Xat
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I am going to a community college. All of my classes are online and I am currently working on my Social Science degree. I am taking 2-3 classes a term and it cost between $900-$1350 a term. I have a pell grant that covers the full amount so I don't have to pay anything out of pocket.

iluv2meow
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:39 AM
2 moms liked this

If I were a professor, sorry but I can't really write you a letter of recommendation because I would have never met you if your an online student verses someone that shows employees that they are willing get out of bed and actually show up to school or a job.

Quoting bluespagan:

I will have REAL credentials and references.  I will be going through the Johnson State Extended Degree Program. 

Quoting iluv2meow:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)