Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please stop assuming that because I am getting married you will be invited!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies

I am having a smallish wedding next year. We ordered 50 invitations for our closest friends and immediate family. Since announcing our engagement, we have had 5 other friends tell us they want an invite, or "ill be there!" without even being invited. Why do people assume that just because your friend (whom you dont talk to all the time) is getting married, that you are automatically invited? My fiance's cousin (whom we have met twice) said she will be there....bitch i didnt inivte you!!

How can i tell them not to come, and not to expect an invite without sounding rude and losing their friendship?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NDADanceMom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I would explain that you are having a small wedding.  We only had 200 at our wedding and some people were hurt but I didnt want the 500 guests that my sister had.  I just dont like things that big.  

RaeAnne.USAF
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Just dont talk about it in front of them. When they don't get an invitation in the mail they'll figure it out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:00 AM

I would say you are having a very small gathering of very close family/friends.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:01 AM

i told one of my friends that, she complained that she should be a bridesmaid since ive known her for 6 years, but i tried to tell her we have never been like, BEST friends, just friends and im not having bridesmaids. just two maids of honor. she wont talk to me now. she said "well I was going to invite you to mine"...

sorry?? ugh

Quoting NDADanceMom:

I would explain that you are having a small wedding.  We only had 200 at our wedding and some people were hurt but I didnt want the 500 guests that my sister had.  I just dont like things that big.  

Katenemsmom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:01 AM
They may just be saying it to be polite. I wouldn't worry about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:01 AM

we arent, our mothers are doing all the bragging.

Quoting RaeAnne.USAF:

Just dont talk about it in front of them. When they don't get an invitation in the mail they'll figure it out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I hate weddings, and hate being invited. You and I would get along just fine because I'd be grateful not to be invited lol. Congrats on your wedding.

bowribbonmama
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I know the feeling. We had this happen with my DHs dads side of the family. His father went on to invite all these people that I'd never met and that my husband hadn't seen since he was a young child. To top it off my mom and step-dad had to pay for their invites!

I also had one family member from my family invite himself.

I'd just say "sorry, we're only having close family there"

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Perhaps she's just happy and excited for you. 

Bridezilla much? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:05 AM
People love weddings. Be happy that people are happy for you.

As far a what you say to people: just tell them you are having a small, family only wedding. Tell them you wish that you could share your day with everyone you know, but that isn't possible.

Easy peasy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)