Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to explain to a five year old about

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:40 PM
  • 2 Replies
Stranger danger..... We have told him before but never actually went into detail. How can we tell him in a not horrid way... he did you have the talk? Thanks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
i.love.my.life
by Arika on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:44 PM
We told our 4 year old that if someone she doesn't know tries to talk to her, offer her candy, pet an animal, etc, that she needs to say no thank you and walk away. If that said person won't leave her alone she is supposed to scream and punch them in the "no-no" spot. We talk about it about once a month or so. She just started school and we wanted to make sure she has it in her head so a mistake doesn't happen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kiralyn
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Well, my daughter is 5...but she has known for much longer, probably since 3. I'm pretty straight up with her. I tell her there are people in the world who would steal her from us, and who would hurt her. She needs to always stay close to her family (whoever she is with) and never talk to people she doesn't know without mommy (or daddy, papa, grandma etc.) with her. If we happen to see or hear about a child who's been kidnapped or something, I'll usually say "That's why it's important to stay away from strangers." She's not terrified of the world, but she knows that there ARE people out there who are bad...so I think my approach has worked. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)