Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I lock my child in her room..Edited: post in purple

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 101 Replies

Shes 3 years old and recently has learned how to turn door knobs and open doors..Its just a lock on the door knob on the outside of her door..I'm not doing it to be mean or abusive..I do it to keep her safe..We live near a lake with lots of woods and wild life..I worry she will wonder off and something will happen to her..I check on her before I go to bed then lock her door..I unlock it the next morning when I get her up..She doesn't even know I lock it..I can get to her easily if there ever a emergency like a fire or anything..Does this make me a bad mom? I prefer to be safe than sorry

EDIT: For those that ask what if she has to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night she is not fully potty trained yet..For now she wears a diaper at night

Edit: I have 3 smoke detectors one on every floor of my house..My room is right across from my daughter..I have a baby monitor in her room I can always hear her..I just started locking her door here recently and I only lock it at night after I check on her before I go to bed..I have deadbolts on the Main doors of my house leading outside..My husband got paid today I will go buy the alarm for her door TODAY..I am not a horrible mother I am doing what is right and safe for my daughter..My biggest fear is some how she may get outside and get lost or we find her drown in the lake..I am not cheap or lazy my children's safely means more to me then any amount of money in the world

Some are saying what if there is a fire and she can't get out and I should put locks higher on my doors and child-proof her door knob and a gate to her room.( We have a gate and its useless it don't fit her door right)These are things that would keep her in..How would she get out then if there is ever a fire? your just telling me another way to lock her in..It makes NO Sense..It is the same as locking the door..Some have even commented that what if the fire starts in her room..(Not likely) Because I know whats in my child's room there is nothing to catch on fire.The lock on her door is just a flip lock(NO KEY NEEDED) on the door knob..We had to turn the knob around because she was locking herself in from the inside of her room..It is better for my daughter for me to know where she is and shes not in some other place in the house hiding because shes scared of the fire..And like I said above my biggest fear is if she got lost or drown.. I have every reason to have this fear..We live next to woods and lake

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:03 PM
7 moms liked this

Why don't you put a hook latch on your front door, she can't reach that to un-hook it...I would never lock my kids in their room.  What if they wake up in the middle of the night for whatever reason, to use the bathroom and try to  open the door and cant. That would be very scary for a small child, or anybody for that matter.

Pink.Frosting
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:03 PM

I know many families who have done that.

PurpleGlitter84
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I would try window and door alarms first!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Just get an alarm for her door. Something that will beep in your room if her door opens.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this

No, it doesn't make you a bad mom. We had to do this with our 2 before. I did feel bad, but it was for their own safety. 

Binkxo
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:04 PM
3 moms liked this

As a victim of a vicious house fire, I would call you a horrible mother. Get an alarm, sleep with YOUR door open. You are risking your childs life if there is ever a fire in your home. there are other options besides locks. 

colljd02
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:05 PM
I think the only concern would be if there was a fire (what if you couldn't get out yourself), it would prevent her from trying to get out or an emergency like that (where something happened to you).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:05 PM

how does one get an alarm for a room???? 

Barabell
by ~~CC~~ on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Personally, I would look for another method besides locking her in her room. If there is a house fire, what you're doing right now could be dangerous for her. Also, what will do you when you start toilet training her at night?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)