Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So Im going to do a poll first...then Ill add why Im asking.. Moms of girls 7 years and older EDIT HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: How old was your daughter when she dressing herself to look presentable, brushing her own hair and wanting to look good when going to school, friends other places?

Options:

age 7 or below

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 45

View Results

My dd is 8. Ill post the story and my concerns after I get some answers on the poll.

My DD is that awkward girl. Her shoes always untied. Her pants always falling down. Even with sweats. When she wears jeans, and cries about her belt bc she says she cant unbuckle it on time at school. She has had 2 accidents this year.

I have to stand over her constantly to make sure her teeth are brushed,her hair is brushed, her shoes are tied. Ect. Her hair is always ragedy by the time she gets out of school, and if I pull it up its falling out of her pony tail, and she wont pull it back up. Like, she DOES NOT CARE!!!

Today I picked her up from school, and the road was backed up bc I was waiting on DD to get into the car. Shes just poking around, kicking rocks, papers falling out of her bag, ect.

I dont know what else to do. She does not care. I was also the awkward girl but I had no guidance. I was always made fun of. I got spit on. People chanted I was a dyke on the bus. They would throw tampons at me withred markers. They poured contactsolution in my hair. Smack me upside the head. It was torture. I can not let this happen to DD.

Obviously there are other reasons I want her to get straghtened out.

She walks around WHINING about everything. "Thats not fair" "mom, why do I have to do this" "Mom., Im so tired"

I just do not know anymore. I have came here several times asking for help, and have been torn up.

Im seriously desperate for help.

Ive taken her to the Doctor. We did a occupational therapy evaluation, and that just told us that her coordination is off. But because she is wheresheneeds to be shedoesnt qualify for  OT. Shes graduated from Speech Therapy this year, as well as chapter one reading. She is very smart. She has gotten 100%s on pretty much every spelling test, and the few she didnt they havent been below 90 ever.

I dont know how normal or not normal this is.

I see all these little girls coming out of school with their hair doneneatly, dressed neatly, ect. But here comes my DD. She reminds me of the girl on "Shes all that" When shes walking outof the school dropping all  her stuff...

Poor DD. :( I just need help helping her!

EDIT HELP!!!!::

Help me find a cute hair style for her. Right now her hair is just in the middle of her back. No bangs. She has a round face. How should we cut it?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:59 PM
Replies (21-30):
Char-Bear
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:50 PM
My DD was in middle school before she started to really pay attention to her clothes and hair without me reminding her. She's now 16 and still doesn't do much beyond the basics.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AngryBob
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:50 PM
Wow, you just described me as a kid, and you sound like my mom. I have four older brothers, and loved having fun and getting dirty more than what my hair looked like. My mom was forever making me feel inferior. I was plenty feminine, but because I wasn't perfect, she made me feel horrible about myself. I don't have any older sisters, so I didn't have anyone else to look up to.
You need to lighten up. Insulting her (and trust me, your constant nagging and calling her names is insulting) will only make her self conscious and rebellious. Let her just be a kid. Make "girl" stuff fun, not a chore. Respect who she is inside.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:50 PM

I thought about cutting it. I dont know how to cut it though. suggestions?

saltyalley1227
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:51 PM
I answered for myself, I was about 14-15 before I cared at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah they will run a brush through their hair, but one will throw her hair in a lose ponytail and the other one throws on a hat. They brush their teeth but they are also older now but I had to stay on them when they were younger.

As far as clothes go. One plays softball and she is always dressed like she is practicing. The other one does BMX and Motorcross. She only wears jeans and T-shirts. They both think dresses are evil.

My 7 year old has no butt and no matter what we do her pants fall down. She can't wear belts either she can't do them herself.

I know you are just trying to prevent her being bullied too but remember she is just a kid. You will be the one that makes her self-conscious about her looks.

I'm not trying to bash you because as a mom I understand. But I also know you want her to feel good about herself. As long as she is happy then you should be as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

My youngest is a girly girl so she always wants to look cute. My 2 oldest 20 and 16 are tomboys they only do the minimum.

But they still care how they look right?Dress presentable. Not all sloppy with their pants falling down, shoes untied ect?

I just posted the story.. so maybe thatll help. :)

jonellg
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:54 PM

5, she's a diva

mommyto2gr8ones
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:58 PM

My dd is 5, doesn't attend public school but still loves to look presentable most of the time.  She is really prissy so I figured that just goes w/the territory.  Have you thought of homeschooling her for a while??

Mommyof2n0308
by Marissa on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:11 PM

BUMP!

amandae21
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:12 PM

I think it's normal for their hair to look messy when they get out of school (unless the kid has some really awesome smooth hair). My DD is 8. She started brushing her hair herself this school year. She has always cared about her clothes. I still have to ask if she brushed her teeth because she is sooo not a morning person and sometimes forgets (it's one of the first things she's supposed to do - pee, wash face/eye crusties, brush teeth, get dressed etc..). There are little girls in her class who...how do I say it...don't look as put together as she does.

RiotousDigits
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:18 PM

I can't find a picture of it on a young girl, but this is similar to what my DD has.  She can still use headbands/barrettes if she wants or just put a ball cap on.

pic on the right, obviously

Quoting Anonymous:

I thought about cutting it. I dont know how to cut it though. suggestions?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured