Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The dog next door is scaring my son. (It's a long vent, but I need advice)

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:34 PM
  • 23 Replies

It is a beautiful day outside today.  The sun is shining, the temperature is mild, and every kid that lives around here is playing outside.  Except for my 4yo. Let me explain.

My neighbors got a lab/pitbull puppy in fall.  It has now grown into a giant dog.  I do not have a problem with them having the dog, but I do have a problem with the way it is constantly running into my yard.  It still has the puppy mindset, so he can get a little crazy. 

Well, my 4yo is scared to death of the thing.  It barrels at him and has even knocked him down on more than one occasion. If he is playing outside and he even sees the thing, he screams like a banshee.  I have NEVER heard him scream in fear the way he does when that dog comes in my yard. The neighbors act like it's not that big of a deal since my chihuhua runs over there sometimes. (I have started tying him up in hopes they would do the same)  They send their 9yo daughter out with it on a leash, and inevitably it gets away and scares the crap out of my kid.  

I finally broke down and asked them to please tie the dog up or send an adult out with it, bc my child is afraid to walk outside anymore.  He is constantly talking about going out and then saying "oh, but R might be outside."  They said they would take care of it.

Well, obviously they haven't changed a damn thing or I wouldn't be on here complaining about it.  I don't know what to do anymore.  I told my son that we can go outside and I will protect him and make sure the dog doesn't even come near him.  He refuses.  Dh has tried the same thing but he still refuses to go outside.  

I need advice on what to do to help my son and also on what to do about the people refusing to do anything about their dog. Please help!

*EDIT* I will be calling animal control, but my real concern is helping my son. 

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JADIEBUG
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Do you have a fence? How is the dog getting to your son?

UpsideDown
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:37 PM

No, I don't have a fence and neither do my neighbors.

JADIEBUG
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:39 PM

If you own the house then build a nice strong fence. I would never have a backyard without a fence.

Quoting UpsideDown:

UpsideDown
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Bump.

UpsideDown
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:40 PM

I really want one but that is just not an option right now.

Quoting JADIEBUG:

If you own the house then build a nice strong fence. I would never have a backyard without a fence.

Quoting UpsideDown:

iluv2meow
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:41 PM

fence people fence...

pipers_mom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Do you have a leash law? I'd spray the dog with the hose every time it came into my yard.

BekkieBoodle
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:42 PM
They need to have a fence to keep the dog in. What kind of laws do they have where you live? If you have asked them to fix the.problem you are having and they have not done anything I would call animal control
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandella79
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:43 PM

This may be really bitchy, but call Animal Control.  You have a right to feel safe in your own damn back yard.

JADIEBUG
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:43 PM

I am not a huge fan of these but to protect your kid:

http://www.nextag.com/electric-dog-fences/compare-html

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)