Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SUING DEBT COLLECTORS.

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:35 PM
  • 7 Replies

I just came across this.

i thought it was interesting. 

http://abcnews.go.com/US/va-woman-fights-collect-10-million-debt-collectors/story?id=16205697&page=2#.T5h6yKtAaSo

idk if it will be clicky. 

but the lady sued, because its harrassment. 

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
kikibix
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Interesting.  Strange that the judge awarded such a huge amount in damages knowing that it would never be collected, I wonder what his thoughts on that were?  There really isn't a deterent here because few attorneys will take on a case knowing they wont' be paid. It would have been more powerful to award a realistic amount, such as say having her debts paid off and out of collections plus attorneys fees.

sophiasmommy27
by Sarah Sweetheart on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:14 PM
I just like her gull. ya know??

Quoting kikibix:

Interesting.  Strange that the judge awarded such a huge amount in damages knowing that it would never be collected, I wonder what his thoughts on that were?  There really isn't a deterent here because few attorneys will take on a case knowing they wont' be paid. It would have been more powerful to award a realistic amount, such as say having her debts paid off and out of collections plus attorneys fees.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mamaknowsbest26
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:21 PM
She seems sue happy, and out to make a buck without working.
sophiasmommy27
by Sarah Sweetheart on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:37 PM

she hasnt gotten any money from her suing. 

if i was harrased by them i would sue too.

just because you owe them money they cant harrass you or degrade you. its unethical. if it was me id sue too.

Quoting Mamaknowsbest26:

annas_momma
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:46 PM
But it says in the article that it wasn't even their debt. They were calling the wrong ppl.

I think ppl are a little too sue happy these days, but after the vulgar call I can't say that I blame her too much. I'm surprised that more action wasn't taken against them since they were pretending to be the sheriffs office.

Quoting kikibix:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mamaknowsbest26
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I understand that the company was in the wrong and basically threatened her, but why not just let it stop at a police report, and have the company investigated? Why must she sue, to collect money, even if she hasn't received any monies? I think everyone in America sues people for no reason. I have been a victim of medical malpractice 3 times, and I never did anything about it.

1st time - I was given steroids instead of DepoProvera BC shot- it was corrected the next day and no harm was done to me. The nurse grabbed the wrong vial, and never double checked it, before injecting me with it. It was just a simple corticosteroid, but it certainly would not have prevented pregnancy.

2nd time I was told I had an STD in front of my mother, husband and aunt. The doctor never once asked them to leave the room and then blurted out I had chlamydia! HIPPA violation. I personally didn't mind that my husand or mother knew, because I would have to have told my husband anyways so he could get the antibiotics too, but my aunt certainly didn't need to hear that.

3rd time I was tested for HIV without written consent or notification - its a HIPPA violation to due that. It was just randomly done during my yearly physical for some reason.

I easily could have sued for 'emotional damage' or 'pain and suffering'. But the situation was rectified at the time the offense was committed. The individuals who did wrongs were immediately reprimanded. I felt that was enough punishment.

I cannot stand all these people who sue others for stupid things. There was a post not too long ago about a kid on a bicycle knocking someones child down and she got a boo boo and ended up with a $100 ER bill that she is suing the parents of the kid on the bicycle for. Thats ridiculous in my opinion. I can understand suing a doctor for cutting off your arm or something negligent.

Thats just my opinion on the matter.

Quoting sophiasmommy27:

she hasnt gotten any money from her suing. 

if i was harrased by them i would sue too.

just because you owe them money they cant harrass you or degrade you. its unethical. if it was me id sue too.

Quoting Mamaknowsbest26:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Was just watching it.  Nice.  She had to sue based on the practices of that company, a simple police report would not have gotten any where.  Well, apparently sueing and winning didn't do her any good in regards to collecting on it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)