• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would a dr really say this?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies

My friend posts everyday on fb that she can't get her 7 month old to take a bottle that he is addicted to boob. Just out of curiousity I asked her why she was weaning him and she said her dr told her that it's not healthy to breastfeed after 6 months. I bf both of my kids til two, not saying it's for everyone, but would a dr really say that breastfeeding is unhealthy past a certain age especially being an infant still. I have to add that they are both healthy, the dr just wants him on formula because he is 'nursing to often' and formula has better calories. I think her dr is a dumbass, and she is too for believing the doc.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Snapdragon88
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:50 PM

What? No, I don't think a 'GOOD' doctor would say that. 

Chuckydoodle
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe he meant it isn't healhty for her, if she is having any issues it could be possible that a doctor would recommend it. 

yayay15
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:52 PM
I wouldn't put it past them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Angela_Barlow
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:52 PM
I left our first pediatricians b/c of breastfeeding.
I was having trouble getting her to latch and he shoved a can of formula at me.
So, yeah, it wouldn't shock me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RayneofTerror
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:53 PM

none of the doctors i've ever been to would say something like that. they all have advocated breast feeding. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:53 PM

No, like I said they are both healthy. I think she is just using the dr as an excuse to wean. If she doesn't want to do it she should just not do it. I hate how women act like they have to impress others.

Quoting Chuckydoodle:

Maybe he meant it isn't healhty for her, if she is having any issues it could be possible that a doctor would recommend it. 

Alison_C
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:54 PM
I'm sure there are doctors that would say that. Doesn't make them right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Are you sure he meant it in that context?  Maybe it's not good for her, as in pump or formula feed until at least a year.

mandella79
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:55 PM

There is no such thing as "nursing too often", only "nursing more than Mommy wants to".  I think your friend is lying, the doctor would not say this.  He might have suggested she supplement with formula if she didn't want to nurse as often, but there is no way that bf past 6 mos is  unhealthy. 

Chuckydoodle
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Ok, it was just a thought. I have heard of doctors recommending formula when a mother is a vegan, or when the mother is mal nourished in some way or another and the breast feeding is taking a toll. 

Quoting Anonymous:

No, like I said they are both healthy. I think she is just using the dr as an excuse to wean. If she doesn't want to do it she should just not do it. I hate how women act like they have to impress others.

Quoting Chuckydoodle:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)