Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

hughesnet SUCKS

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies

Seriously, they are awful. Terrible internet speeds and some seriously shady billing practices. Don't use them. I would rather be without internet that deal with those people. I spent over an hour on the phone with them tonight just to cancel my acct (which I have had less than 2 weeks). The woman was real nice until the end of the call when she told me they would be charging my debit card $300 tonight for the equipment that they are making us send back (DH has to climb on the roof to get it down so that we can pay god only knows how much to send it back and they STILL want to charge me for it). She didn't much care for it when I told her good luck with that since I had already cancelled the card I had used after reading some reviews online. I understand now why they make you enter a card to sign up. Shady shady shady!

Oh, and seriously, they should get some freakin customer service in the US.

I am done ranting now.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mybabysmama35
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I called them once to ask about prices and such and they were outrageous!!! I think you are smart for cancelling it!!!

meliefrog
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:42 AM
I cancelled mine 2 days ago. We first got it in 2008 and it was great. But the last 6 months have been awful. Couldn't seem to keep signal longer then a couple minutes at a time. Finally got pissed enough and called.

Customer service kept trying to get me to let them send a tech out to fix the problem and got pissed when I told them no.

We bought our dish and equipment outright so I now have HughesNet crap if anyone wants it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cheez1e
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:47 AM

We had it for a while also. Dh had had it for a year or two before we moved out here and he didn't have too many issues with it but wasn't online a whole lot either. It SUCKS if you want to watch any videos or load pictures or anything like that. We were soooo happy once they finally got high speed out here. Especially for about a third of the price. It's been over a year now and dh still says he's more than happy to pay what we do for our internet now.

meliefrog, we bought ours too so we have a couple modems hanging out in a box in our bedroom

Tatiana7
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:50 AM
It's my understanding that you pay for every web page you open. That's how they get the bill racked up to insane amounts. My daughter's former boyfriend had it, apparently.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xxbyamomentx
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I looked into it when I still lived with my parents, because they live out in the country and hughesnet is the only option available. I heard online gaming is pretty much impossible and streaming is laggy since it's sattelite internet, which were the main reasons I wanted it. When I saw the price, I went ahead and got a smartphone. I have a small screen, but it's sooo much cheaper. Now that I've moved and DF and I have internet, I actually prefer my smartphone. It's amazing what you can get used to and saves me from having to buy myself a laptop.

EmmaVic
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Well I'm rural and I have Hughes and if you know the limits of satellite technology and use their tools they're Great! They give you a free download zone and restore tokens and ones their Gen 4 plans are out it's going to be even better. They really are the best option you just have to do your homework and be smart about how you use your daily allowance. It's good to have all the facts before you start a thread like this. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Oh Trust me, I knew every last one of those facts. I did HOURS of research before I got hughesnet. I read the reviews (mostly TERRIBLE) but figured I would give them a shot. I regret every second of my time with Hughesnet. I am glad it works well for you but you are one of the few. I used their "tools". I never went over my download allowance because the stupid internet never worked long enough for me to do ANYTHING. I stand by what I say. Hughesnet is CRAP!

Quoting EmmaVic:

Well I'm rural and I have Hughes and if you know the limits of satellite technology and use their tools they're Great! They give you a free download zone and restore tokens and ones their Gen 4 plans are out it's going to be even better. They really are the best option you just have to do your homework and be smart about how you use your daily allowance. It's good to have all the facts before you start a thread like this. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)