Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

christians...a question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 135 Replies
I know a lot of Christians have a lot of different views and beliefs on this but...

For those of you who very strictly believe and follow the bible word for word, do you honestly believe that humans were here first?
What are you going to do when your children learn about the Cretaceous period?
Or sharks and other creatures that have been around for 400,000,000 years?

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm genuinely curious.

Edit:
Sorry guys.. my religious education is fuzzy lol.

Do you believe that a God created animals only days before humans?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:47 PM
Bump
Kodysmommy928
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Bumpity!

AdellesMom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:49 PM
13 moms liked this
The Bible doesn't say that humans were here first. It says that God created the animals, then he created mankind and gave mankind dominion over the animals.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I am a Catholic but I don't follow the Bible word for word so I guess I can't help, lol. 

mamaistheword87
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:50 PM

no.  I am a Catholic and my religion doesnt say to interpret it this way

itseebitsee
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting AdellesMom:

The Bible doesn't say that humans were here first. It says that God created the animals, then he created mankind and gave mankind dominion over the animals.

I was going to say this as well.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:51 PM
Oh lol...my bad. Well, the whole 7 day thing. Do you believe that?

Quoting AdellesMom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this

No, I don't.  I am not a LITERALIST.  The Old Testament was not meant to be taken literally.  Any Greek scholars and historians would know this.  Catholic priests know this because they are properly educated in seminaries, and do not go to a 1 year college to become a "minister" in some start-up religion/church which cherry picks its rules.

So, simply put:  Catholics do not read the Old Testament literally and it has always been the case (see the Magisterium)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Well when you stop to think about it. A thousand years is but one day to God. This is how my old church explained it to me. If 1000 YEARS here is but only 1day to God, then that would prove that mankind was not the first creation. The bible has changed so much over the years, how can anyone honestly live by it word for word. My daddy has a copy of the bible where in genisis it said "Let man be created in OUR image and in OUR likeness" not "his" cause as a literalist would look at it like this, if man was created in "His image" then we would all be men wouldnt we? So that would be presumable that there are females ibln Heaven as well as males. Angels and saints? Or as i prefer to call them guiding spirits. I grew up a freew will baptist, and i no longer am.
Jessica_Esqueda
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:00 PM

I think that the animals were here first, like Genesis says. However, I don't think there was a difference of mere "days". I think that time for God is different than time for us. What may have been a day for him could be a million years for us, and so on. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)