Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I live in a motel. :'( Ask me (just about) anything.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
No, I am not proud of it, hence anonymous. Let the questioning commence.

ETA: Since these seem to common questions, here are my answers.

Why can't you save?

I pay $290 per week which is $1160 8 months per year and $1450 the other 4 months. I spent $12 per week washing and drying clothes.(I just started washing by hand so I'm saving $4 now, which will save me 208 per year.) That is $48 8 months and $60 the other 4, which is now $32 I months and $40 the other 4. I receive $300 in foodstamps every month and I spend a total of $400 per month, so that is $100 out of pocket. Keep in mind that I did not receive foodstamps the whole two years. I went a year without it as our income became too high. My dh has chronic headaches due to a medical issue he has. We are always buying aspirin, naproxen or ibprophen for those. He is on an anti-seizure medicine that is really expensive, to get refills, he has to pay full price every month and go see his neurosurgeon to get an mri and cat scan to check his brain and Vp shunt. Our boss is nit picky when it comes to stains or tears on our uniform and every two months we buy a new shirt, hat and apron and every 4 months we buy a new pair of slip resistant shoes. The price of those items are taken out of our checks in installment plans. We also have life insurance taken out of our checks which is about $5 total in case something happens to one of us. Therefore, we can't save. If we had a cheaper place, it would be no problem saving money, but we are stuck in a rut with seemingly no way out. We stopped paying for our prepaid phone so long ago, I sometimes forget that thing sitting on my table is a phone. My kids don't know what candy or Mcdonald's are. We don't drink soda or alcohol. We don't eat chip, candy, cookies or any other junk food. I will admit that dh and I were smokers, but we both cut down on our cigarettes slowly over time until we were able to quit for good. We get what we need not what we want. I miss not worrying about money, I miss being able to splurge on something I want. I miss being able to buy my kids an outfit or a toy. Their clothes are stained and some are getting holes. Soon, I will have no choice but buy them some. My kids hardly have any toys, my mom buys one every blue moon, but most are at her house which is near impossible to get to. I didn't really want to go in detail about all this, but I guess people need to see exactly where we stand financially.

Why?

Dh temporarily lost his job and I was not able to float rent by myself. We were evicted. We both work now, but we don't make enough to save money.

Have you applied for public housing/section 8?

Not taking applications at this time for waiting lists.

Call churches.

I do every month. Always the same answer, sorry no funds. I will be calling back to see if they could give me a job doing something for them.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:18 PM
Replies (11-20):
Derari
by :::Achtung::: on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:22 PM
Why...did you leave a bad situation? Do you have your belongings with you? Kids? Are you safe?? Hugs:)
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:22 PM
How were you able to get out? At this point, we will only be able to get out if someplace offers weekly rent.

Quoting Anonymous:

I did for a while too
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:22 PM
if df ever finds a job we will be in one too...just so we can get out of this hell hole. hugs
MrsRinehart2010
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:22 PM

no judgement Im just curious if it drives you insane being in small space all the time? i go crazy in my house I dont think I could do it but I would if I had to. Hopefully things get better for you soon!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:24 PM
Dh temporarily lost his job and I was not able to float rent by myself. We were evicted. We both work now, but we don't make enough to save money.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:25 PM
No, LA

Quoting Anonymous:

In Ga ?
littlelimom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:25 PM

No questions. Hope things take a turn for the better for you and your family.

Snapdragon88
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:26 PM
No questions. I lived in a motel with my mother when I was a child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:26 PM
April 2010. Two years now.

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

We lived in a motel for a while after my son was born,it's not ideal but you make do. How long have you been there?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you worry about bedbugs?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)