Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I live in a motel. :'( Ask me (just about) anything.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
No, I am not proud of it, hence anonymous. Let the questioning commence.

ETA: Since these seem to common questions, here are my answers.

Why can't you save?

I pay $290 per week which is $1160 8 months per year and $1450 the other 4 months. I spent $12 per week washing and drying clothes.(I just started washing by hand so I'm saving $4 now, which will save me 208 per year.) That is $48 8 months and $60 the other 4, which is now $32 I months and $40 the other 4. I receive $300 in foodstamps every month and I spend a total of $400 per month, so that is $100 out of pocket. Keep in mind that I did not receive foodstamps the whole two years. I went a year without it as our income became too high. My dh has chronic headaches due to a medical issue he has. We are always buying aspirin, naproxen or ibprophen for those. He is on an anti-seizure medicine that is really expensive, to get refills, he has to pay full price every month and go see his neurosurgeon to get an mri and cat scan to check his brain and Vp shunt. Our boss is nit picky when it comes to stains or tears on our uniform and every two months we buy a new shirt, hat and apron and every 4 months we buy a new pair of slip resistant shoes. The price of those items are taken out of our checks in installment plans. We also have life insurance taken out of our checks which is about $5 total in case something happens to one of us. Therefore, we can't save. If we had a cheaper place, it would be no problem saving money, but we are stuck in a rut with seemingly no way out. We stopped paying for our prepaid phone so long ago, I sometimes forget that thing sitting on my table is a phone. My kids don't know what candy or Mcdonald's are. We don't drink soda or alcohol. We don't eat chip, candy, cookies or any other junk food. I will admit that dh and I were smokers, but we both cut down on our cigarettes slowly over time until we were able to quit for good. We get what we need not what we want. I miss not worrying about money, I miss being able to splurge on something I want. I miss being able to buy my kids an outfit or a toy. Their clothes are stained and some are getting holes. Soon, I will have no choice but buy them some. My kids hardly have any toys, my mom buys one every blue moon, but most are at her house which is near impossible to get to. I didn't really want to go in detail about all this, but I guess people need to see exactly where we stand financially.

Why?

Dh temporarily lost his job and I was not able to float rent by myself. We were evicted. We both work now, but we don't make enough to save money.

Have you applied for public housing/section 8?

Not taking applications at this time for waiting lists.

Call churches.

I do every month. Always the same answer, sorry no funds. I will be calling back to see if they could give me a job doing something for them.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:18 PM
Replies (261-263):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 2, 2012 at 5:05 PM
I pay $290 per week which is $1160 8 months per year and $1450 the other 4 months.
I spent $12 per week washing and drying clothes.(I just started washing by hand so I'm saving $4 now, which will save me 208 per year.) That is $48 8 months and $60 the other 4, which is now $32 I months and $40 the other 4.
I receive $300 in foodstamps every month and I spend a total of $400 per month, so that is $100 out of pocket. Keep in mind that I did not receive foodstamps the whole two years. I went a year without it as our income became too high.
My dh has chronic headaches due to a medical issue he has. We are always buying aspirin, naproxen or ibprophen for those. He is on an anti-seizure medicine that is really expensive, to get refills, he has to pay full price every month and go see his neurosurgeon to get an mri and cat scan to check his brain and Vp shunt.
Our boss is nit picky when it comes to stains or tears on our uniform and every two months we buy a new shirt, hat and apron and every 4 months we buy a new pair of slip resistant shoes. The price of those items are taken out of our checks in installment plans. We also have life insurance taken out of our checks which is about $5 total in case something happens to one of us.
Therefore, we can't save. If we had a cheaper place, it would be no problem saving money, but we are stuck in a rut with seemingly no way out.
We stopped paying for our prepaid phone so long ago, I sometimes forget that thing sitting on my table is a phone. My kids don't know what candy or Mcdonald's are. We don't drink soda or alcohol. We don't eat chip, candy, cookies or any other junk food. I will admit that dh and I were smokers, but we both cut down on our cigarettes slowly over time until we were able to quit for good. We get what we need not what we want. I miss not worrying about money, I miss being able to splurge on something I want. I miss being able to buy my kids an outfit or a toy. Their clothes are stained and some are getting holes. Soon, I will have no choice but buy them some. My kids hardly have any toys, my mom buys one every blue moon, but most are at her house which is near impossible to get to.

I didn't really want to go in detail about all this, but I guess people need to see exactly where we stand financially.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's a lot of money for a hotel. I was thinking, if they both worked and its been 2 years, how come you haven't saved any money? You don't have utilities to pay, just rent/food/phone insurance, right?

Quoting Anonymous:

You're paying 1160 a month. I would figure that's why you have no money to save. Surely in the last 2 years you have found something besides that...

Quoting Anonymous:

$290 per week. No safety concerns. It's like a little community here. Friendly neighbors, quiet neighborhood. There are quite a few long term residents here.

Quoting moosesmom:

How much is it? Do you have safety concerns? Or do you generally feel safe?

sweetpeama
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 12:07 AM
Op just checking for an update on your situation
Erina84
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:18 AM
Have you considered selling your blood plasma? I had a lot of friends who did this as a way of paying for books in college. It sounds like you guys would have trouble taking a second job, but what about offering your services house cleaning or lawn care? Our church has a board where we can post adds about these kinds of services. If you don't have a vehicle maybe you could look into the bus system in your city. You said you have the Internet, right? There are websites where you can post your story and the amount of money you would need as a security deposit and others can donate to you, such as My-friend-in-need.com.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)