Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I leave them home alone at night tooooo

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I have an 11 yr old and 6 yr old... I leave them home alone, sleeping, at night and go pick up DF from work.... I leave at midnight and don't get home until 12:30 sometimes.

For you ladies who say CPS is going to be called:

In the state of Ohio, there is no legal age limit..... if there is an accident while I'm gone they have my cell phone number, DF's cell phone number, his work #, my mom's #, my dad's # and DF's parents # to call as well as 911....

If a fire started, they know the escape routes, where to meet, who to call.

My bases are covered.

OMG READ RESPONSES! We have 2 cars, one is not working right now and we can't afford to get it fixed.

If we sell the car that needs fixed... guess what, we're still only using one car! Genius points for the woman who suggested that *eye roll*

I also don't always have the car. It's a rare occasion where I have it while he's at work. I try to get all of the kids and my appts done on DF's days off that way I don't need to have the car while he's working.

Also, For all of you who want to scream FIRE, RAPE, KIDNAPPED, ETC. That crap can happen with us asleep, them getting off of the bus, etc. Give it a rest.

CPS may investigate, but they won't find anything, only thing they would find is *gasp* Apt with clothes, food, furniture, educational materials, 1 desktop, 2 laptops, house phones and 3 cell phones that are on and in working order, 2 cats that are fed and taken care of, the boys share a bedroom *gasp again, how dare I make the boys share a bedroom* they have plenty of toys, etc.

For those of you asking why I posted this..... lol because 1) it's a confessions group, 2) I LOVE to get a rise out of females who are helicopter moms and 3) I wanted to see how long this kept going. I'm honestly suprised... most of my posts in the past never went past 100! LOL

To the "women" suggesting that I sell any of my equipment.... it's not going to happen. I work from home, need my desktop, have a business so I need my laptop for that... DF has a laptop for him that he had before we got together almost 2 years go. If we sold any of the computers we would be lucky to get $150 for all three because they are so old. Not nearly enough to fix his car.

Also one lady said if I work so much why don't we have the money.... ummm who said I work so much? I said I work from home and have a business.... didn't say how often I work, how many hours a week or how much I get paid. Stop jumping to conclusions. Oh and don't even suggest that I get an out of the home job... because guess what.... then I would have to leave my kids at home alone during the day as well for more than 30 mins. Hypocrites much?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:38 AM
Replies (671-680):
MOMJILL
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:00 PM

All those explanations are great and I am not going to be judgmental but did you ever think that, hey they are 6 and 11, kids, who if something did happen would be terrified.  I know it is a short period of time but don't you have complete anxiety ever time you step out for that drive?  I would imagine they would call the right people if something like a fire happened, but who would be there to reassure them, or god forbid get them past the terror of something like a fire to escape.  There is a large difference between adult thought process and a child's.  I understand because sometimes I forget how young my children are, but they are called children for a reason.  Just some thoughts.

lillysnow
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:00 PM
its not the fact you leave them alone, some kids are mature. Just dont tell people lady.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 105 on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:02 PM
Seriously... Talk about judgmental... because I'm sure you think your the perfect parent. God forbid you get a reality check one day.

Quoting momaof8:

I hope someone who knows you reports you before something horrific happens to your kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 106 on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:05 PM
Ok I don't understand why we would need to know about what you do in your home. Unless you are trying to get people started if you don't like the responses then don't post this at all just saying.
Concerned101
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:06 PM

I would suggest having the kids go to bed early and then getting them up before you need to leave. They could put coats over their pajamas and cover themselves with blankets, as needed, and go with you in the car. I believe this is much safer than leaving them home alone. The possibility of an intruder or a fire is just too great to take a chance on leaving children alone, especially at night.

Unicorn1110
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:07 PM

That is the one of the hardest decisionsto have to make. You have to balance your families needs against your child safety and sleep. I would not tell any neighbors but the most trusted. Not so they don't report you but because you never know who might hear. Are all the numbers posted and programed into the phones? Just knowing may not be enough in an emergency. Have more than one phone, put one at both ends of the house or floors and make sure one is non cordless. I would put that one right outside your daughters rooms. Cordless won't work in a power outage. They are under 10 at Walmart and discount stores. We have emergency night lights that only go on during a power outage also. They are a little more expensive but worth it. I also use nightlights around just in case any how.

Bek1023
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:09 PM
If you're only gone 30 minutes, that's about 15 minutes each way, so it's not that far. Why not have DF walk, or buy a cheap bike? I mean, really... When someone breaks into your house at night because you have a routine of always leaving, then you'll see. You shouldn't play around when it comes to the safety of your children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom23heathens
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:09 PM

When i was  8 my mom had to start leaving me home alone all day. She worked 11 hours a day, 6 days a week. My dad was a horrible non-functioning alcoholic that caused more trouble for us than he was worth. She threw him out and then had no one to watch me. I woke up to an alarm clock, got dressed, made my own lunch and breakfast  and walked to school. Came home and locked the door. I'm fine.

I have left my kids alone. I worked nights. My mom babysat overnite and when i got home i would drive her to the train station so she wouldn't be late for work. It was 5:30 a.m. I was home in 30 mins. They were 8 & 9 when i had to start doing this. A couple years later i remarried and had dd. I separated and had to leave baby dd at home with the older 2 to babysit. They were 10 & 11. As a parent you have to do what you have to do sometimes and pray. Something could just as easily happen when you're home and still end badly. Most of the accidents that landed my dc in the er happened while i was home.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 107 on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Quoting Concerned101:

I would suggest having the kids go to bed early and then getting them up before you need to leave. They could put coats over their pajamas and cover themselves with blankets, as needed, and go with you in the car. I believe this is much safer than leaving them home alone. The possibility of an intruder or a fire is just too great to take a chance on leaving children alone, especially at night.

They wouldnt get a good nights sleep and they need to go to school.

lillyzu
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:11 PM
OMG what if they don't wake up if there's a fire and if u really don't care for what we say then why post. We know they are yours but we get worry after all they are kids. And they are not NOT covered. Get somebody else to pick him up or give some money for gas ones a week to one of the coworkers to give him a ride .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)