Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I leave them home alone at night tooooo

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I have an 11 yr old and 6 yr old... I leave them home alone, sleeping, at night and go pick up DF from work.... I leave at midnight and don't get home until 12:30 sometimes.

For you ladies who say CPS is going to be called:

In the state of Ohio, there is no legal age limit..... if there is an accident while I'm gone they have my cell phone number, DF's cell phone number, his work #, my mom's #, my dad's # and DF's parents # to call as well as 911....

If a fire started, they know the escape routes, where to meet, who to call.

My bases are covered.

OMG READ RESPONSES! We have 2 cars, one is not working right now and we can't afford to get it fixed.

If we sell the car that needs fixed... guess what, we're still only using one car! Genius points for the woman who suggested that *eye roll*

I also don't always have the car. It's a rare occasion where I have it while he's at work. I try to get all of the kids and my appts done on DF's days off that way I don't need to have the car while he's working.

Also, For all of you who want to scream FIRE, RAPE, KIDNAPPED, ETC. That crap can happen with us asleep, them getting off of the bus, etc. Give it a rest.

CPS may investigate, but they won't find anything, only thing they would find is *gasp* Apt with clothes, food, furniture, educational materials, 1 desktop, 2 laptops, house phones and 3 cell phones that are on and in working order, 2 cats that are fed and taken care of, the boys share a bedroom *gasp again, how dare I make the boys share a bedroom* they have plenty of toys, etc.

For those of you asking why I posted this..... lol because 1) it's a confessions group, 2) I LOVE to get a rise out of females who are helicopter moms and 3) I wanted to see how long this kept going. I'm honestly suprised... most of my posts in the past never went past 100! LOL

To the "women" suggesting that I sell any of my equipment.... it's not going to happen. I work from home, need my desktop, have a business so I need my laptop for that... DF has a laptop for him that he had before we got together almost 2 years go. If we sold any of the computers we would be lucky to get $150 for all three because they are so old. Not nearly enough to fix his car.

Also one lady said if I work so much why don't we have the money.... ummm who said I work so much? I said I work from home and have a business.... didn't say how often I work, how many hours a week or how much I get paid. Stop jumping to conclusions. Oh and don't even suggest that I get an out of the home job... because guess what.... then I would have to leave my kids at home alone during the day as well for more than 30 mins. Hypocrites much?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:38 AM
Replies (701-710):
jdjamm
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Ok, so you brought this up because you wanted to hear what people think. Obviously. And you say you have all your bases covered. Excellent. But you didn't mention what the plan of action is, God forbid, if someone breaks into the house. Have you thought about letting DF drive the car to work and you play the role of protector, but still keep all your safety plans in place. One day last week on the news (some city USA) a mother thought the same as you, and left the children at home sleeping, which was truly a shame, the house caught fire and because they were asleep, they perished in the flames. You do what you have to do. Best wishes. 

LadyNCVE
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:41 PM
I wouldnt even want to put my kids in that situation. To have to escape from a fire all alone and expect them to react ideally in an emergency situation.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:42 PM
Age is just a number. Some children can handle that responsibity. Some can't.. You seem to have all your basics covered. Be sure to communicate with your kids of any concerns they might have..
ahappymommy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this

You're bases aren't covered....what if a man breaks into the house and tries to take them, yes they can call 911...but the police have to actually get to your house to help. An 11 year old and 6 year old can't fight off a full grown adult.

Rocker-Momma
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:45 PM
Well I agree on maturity level. I babysat my newborn nephew when I was 12. Granted I have not met a 12year old as mature as me, but if it is only while you run to get df I'm not sure I see it a that bad. I prob wouldn't do it, but I'm sure my dh would say I should. Only you know your children and if your comfortable with it then it is prob ok. I am a what if person so my anxiety would not allow me too.

My only issue is that you said your gone sometimes for 30min but he's only 10min away, just make sure your honest with yourself and not rationalizing it. I understand the money issue. And if it is just not possible for him to take the car of get a ride I get that. I would take the children. But you have to weigh the option with your own children and situation.
anjegirl
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Lots of people especially children SLEEP through a housefire----ask a fireman for advice on this issue----the deadly fumes get to them long before the fire gets to them and they suffocate----twenty years ago I was in a Sheraton hotel with my two nieces and a fire broke out----they were 8 and 12 years old---the hotel alarms were going off--an alarm in our room were going off and eventually the sprinklers went off in our room and is spite of all the noise and people running down the hall----I could NOT wake up my nieces and all of this happened in seconds----they were being sprayed in the face with sprinklers and did not wake up----in spite of the fact that I was a fitness trainer at the time, I could not carry both of them down the stairs and I had to go into the hall way and flag down a couple of men to help me---one of my nieces never woke up and neither of them remembered any of it the next day---as everyone is telling you, IF something happens you will lose them because you were not home----the law doesn't matter if they are dead and you are not home in the middle of the nite---you should rethink this

maidjillian
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I can totally understand why you need to do this.  My biggest worry would be what if your car breaks down while you are out and they are alone longer that you anticipated.  But, I guess you could call your parents in that case.  There are so many things that could go wrong....

That's also a lot of responsibility to put on your kids.  I also doubt in Ohio it's legal to leave kids alone at any age.  How about a 2 year old?

MomsJrHaxs
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:01 PM

You know what? Don't even sweat it, I was baby sitting infants when I was 11. I now have an 11 yr.old daughter and 10 yr. old son. I leave them alone for up to two hours at a time. They know the RULES and I check in. 

marinewife55
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:09 PM
I was babysitting at 11, so I guess it would depend on the maturity level...however my daughter is only two so I'm not sure what I would do in ur shoes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:11 PM
This is true...however, my 21 year old sister sleeps thru anything...she slept thru a hurricane...should I never leave my sister alone?

Quoting anjegirl:

Lots of people especially children SLEEP through a housefire----ask a fireman for advice on this issue----the deadly fumes get to them long before the fire gets to them and they suffocate----twenty years ago I was in a Sheraton hotel with my two nieces and a fire broke out----they were 8 and 12 years old---the hotel alarms were going off--an alarm in our room were going off and eventually the sprinklers went off in our room and is spite of all the noise and people running down the hall----I could NOT wake up my nieces and all of this happened in seconds----they were being sprayed in the face with sprinklers and did not wake up----in spite of the fact that I was a fitness trainer at the time, I could not carry both of them down the stairs and I had to go into the hall way and flag down a couple of men to help me---one of my nieces never woke up and neither of them remembered any of it the next day---as everyone is telling you, IF something happens you will lose them because you were not home----the law doesn't matter if they are dead and you are not home in the middle of the nite---you should rethink this

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)