Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do I tell my family and make them understand... *update*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 244 Replies
Let me start off with I know I am spoiled and ungrateful and the 100 other names ill probably be called. Believe me i've heard it enough from my mother, nothing you call me will shock me.

My grandma died and left me her house. Nice, right? Yeah, except I don't want to live her. I used to love coming here as a kid, and the house holds a special place in my heart, but I have no desire to live in this ridiculousness.... There are 12 bedrooms, 19 bathrooms, its huge and I dont want to deal with it. Its just my husband, my son and I. What are we supposed to do with 12 bedrooms. Even if we have more kids, we wont be having 11 more... I refuse to clean 19 bathrooms, eff that.

I want a nice 4 bedroom home, in a middle class neighborhood, where my son can grow up with down to earth kids. I want my son to be normal, not entitled. Example, I want my son to learn how to mow the lawn, not just expect the gardener to do it.... Kwim?

I am apparently expected to live here. I mentioned selling it and everyone freaked. I mentioned renting it and everyone freaked.

How do I make it clear this is not what I want, and not how I am going to raise my son? I feel like this is more of a curse then a blessing, and no one in my stupid family understands that.

Update: I am not a troll ( I assure you if I was trolling I could do better then this) I will happily post pics as soon as I get home. I am sorry I dont keep random pics on my phone of the house. I am having dinner with my dad ( my only non-crazy family member) and then I will head straight home lol.
There are too many response to reply individually so ill try to answer some here. Yes, it is paid off. Yes, taxes are ridiculous on it. Yes, its in my name. I am perfectly aware I can technically do what I want, I just dont want to hear about it, and dont want everyone mad at me. Also, I like the B&B idea, but have no desire to run it, and dont really want random strangers staying in it. If I missed your question sorry, I will try to read all responses and answer what I missed, later after I post pics....
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 26, 2012 at 3:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cheribomb
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 3:54 PM
13 moms liked this

sell it.  if they want to keep it in the family, let one of them buy it.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 26, 2012 at 3:55 PM
9 moms liked this

Rent it out to one of the family members that is whining, and if they don't want to rent it, sell it, its your house, do what you want with it!

glynch
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 3:55 PM
Don't tell them anything if it was left to you than do what you want to do with it. Live where it's best for your family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Twix.Leigh
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 3:57 PM
5 moms liked this
No judgment or name calling from me. I'd want the same thing. She left it to you? It is in your name? So sell/rent and be done with it. Your family will either come around or have to live with their anger. But that is THEIR problem. Not yours. Do what is right for YOU and YOUR SON. Hard to do when family doesn't support you I know. But needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2ndtimemom605
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 3:58 PM
6 moms liked this
Its yours,do whatever you want with it.I'm sure your grandmother would understand.

P.S:Can I see a pic?12 bedroom house?damn!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MZ82
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this
A free home? Yeah, I would keep it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
samirahk
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 4:01 PM
Pics?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jess0915
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 4:05 PM
I agree with the other mamas, do what you want with it! They'll get over it eventually. And seriously, pics??!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KME3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 4:08 PM
Do what you want.. It's your house..gl...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovelyJay512
by Momma Jay on Apr. 26, 2012 at 4:09 PM
4 moms liked this

Whoo, if I had that house I'd move my whole family in there...the ones I like. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN