Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Bf got laid off...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
I'm 20 weeks pregnant, it was a planned pregnancy. He had a great job for about 2 years now... Well all of a sudden they are doing cut backs. Since he hasn't been with the business 5+ years, he was one of the first to go. He doesn't qualify for unemployment benefits, so needless to say I've been searching for a job, everywhere, doing anything. At this point I'm not being picky. He is also looking for a job.... Like I had said he doesn't qualify for help, but me being *single* I can now get Medicaid, and food stamps. Our cars are paid off, but our home payment is 850$ a month. Anyone have any suggestions as what I can do to try and get some help so were not homeless and don't get out water/air cut off??? I've never been in this position for so I'm asking everyone. We live in NC.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kellieknits
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:26 PM
Call your utility companies immediately and explain the situation. They may be able to work with you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chuckydoodle
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Why doesn't he qualify for unemployment? he certainly has met the time requirements.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:33 PM
Quoting Chuckydoodle:

Why doesn't he qualify for unemployment? he certainly has met the time requirements.

They told him that since the unemployment rate has gotten below a certain level only "certain" people are getting 3 week intervals. The people at the health department even had to call and verify.
Chuckydoodle
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:35 PM

I have never heard of that, I thought the guidelines were the same all over the place that after at least 6 months of continous work you are granted up to at least 13 weeks of unemployment but 26 normally. The extended unemployment is gone now yeah. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Chuckydoodle:

They told him that since the unemployment rate has gotten below a certain level only "certain" people are getting 3 week intervals. The people at the health department even had to call and verify.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:42 PM
Quoting Chuckydoodle:

I have no idea. This is just what he was told.
Chuckydoodle
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:47 PM

http://www.ncesc1.com/individual/webInitialClaims/applyBegin.asp

According to this he should have enough time in on a job. Don't call the health department and don't listen to his job. They don't want to have to pay him unemployment if they can avoid it. So check it yourself and fill out the paperwork. If they deny him then nothing is lost. But if he lost his job thru no fault of his own there is no reason to deny him.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Chuckydoodle:

I have no idea. This is just what he was told.

skittlebeans88
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:48 PM
you can apply for cash aid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:52 PM
He will qualify for unemployment benefits if he's been there longer than the probation period (90 days) as long as his reason for termination is LAID OFF.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:03 PM
Quoting skittlebeans88:

you can apply for cash aid.

What is that?
skittlebeans88
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:08 PM
its the same place you apply for foodstamps. they just,give you a set amount each month to help with bills and whatnot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)