Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you think about this punishment? Is it proper considering?? *Poll Included*

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:13 PM
  • 3 Replies

Poll

Question: Was taking their money too harsh for punishment?

Options:

No

Yes

Other (Please Explain)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 7

View Results

My boys will soon be 4 and 7 and they are the world's worst about destroying things. It doesn't matter what I do, they don't seem to have any respect for anyone's things, including their own. A couple of years ago, I spent a couple hundred dollars on books for both of them and they have destroyed most of them. Toys, books---they are rough on things...bad. Well, the beginning of this year, we spent A LOT on a good set of bunk beds for the boys; bunk beds that will turn into individual twin beds for them so they can grow with them. Well, the top bunk of these beds have a rail so my oldest won't fall off the top, but the bottom one doesn't. After one night of falling in the floor, I spent almost $40 on a safety rail to put on the bottom so he wouldn't fall in the floor again. I just discovered that they have put holes in the safety rail that is barely over a month old. They both earn money different ways so I went through their banks and told them that their money was going towards the holes they put in the rail. Do you think this punishment is too harsh or do you think (like I do) that if they have to start paying for things that they destroy, they will respect it more. I want to clarify that they know what money is and what it is for; they just don't seem to care about their own things or anyone else's. Please vote and give opinions. Thanks.

by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Elle.tea.22
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Take everything away cause you don't trust them not to destroy it. Give them 1 toy back per day. If they break anything in the house, take them all away again.
young_lv_mom
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:17 PM
I dont think they will get it, if they dont understand things cost money, then money means nothing. I would (and have) taken all things not needed away, take everything but bed sheets clothes and pillows. Tell then they can earn the rest back. But thats just me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gr8d8n3mom
by Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Shoot, U might want to give them mattress's on the floor, and as they "earn" it back then the beds. I think your right, kids need to know things cost money and we work for it, it just doesn't get "picked" off the tree out back! LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)