Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

DH Is Upset I Didn't Ask His Permission First...

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:11 AM
  • 178 Replies

I am a long-time member of a bowling league. The long-time secretary/treasurer is leaving after this season to take a well-deserved break (she's been doing it for 15 years straight). The owner of the bowling alley asked me yesterday if I would be willing to take over as secretary/treasurer next season. I said yes.

I came home and was excited to tell hubby about it and he expressed disappointment that I had accepted it without first discussing it with him. It's an elected position but with the owner nominating me, I'm pretty much a shoo-in. It really only involves collecting money from league members each week and turning it in before I've left for the evening and running a short introductory meeting at the beginning of the season and a closing/payout meeting at the end of the season. It won't take any time away from my family obligations at all.

Would you have told the owner you needed to discuss it with your spouse before accepting? Honestly it didn't even cross my mind to do so!

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Christy644
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:12 AM
13 moms liked this

I would not have even thought to "ask permission" I wouldn't expect him to ask either.

lazyd
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:15 AM
6 moms liked this

No I wouldn't of asked my family or hubby first!  Maybe if it was a MAJOR JOB, like getting paid, workin full time, etc.  But NOT for this.  What is your hubby's issue of why he needed to be asked first?  At least you communicated with him afterward and told him, it's not like you kept it a secret!

auntietotty
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

No..thats not something Id feel I had to discuss first.

Just like I didnt discuss beforehand when I was a Daisy Scout leader....or a Sunday school teacher...or any of the other things Ive volunteerd for in my lifetime.

bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:18 AM
3 moms liked this
No I wouldn't have discussed that first nor would he have expected me to do so.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy0505
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this

DH & I discuss everything, especially if affects the other.  But if it's a small commitment that won't take away from other responsibilities, then eh. No biggie. You still told him!

Maybe he's worried you won't be able to bowl? Is there some particular reason he expressed about being upset that you didn't run it by him first?  Maybe he was planning on running!! lol. 

mitchiesgirl
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Maybe he wants to be the secretary/treasurer?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:21 AM
34 moms liked this
That's crazy. To be a smart ass I'd start asking permission for everything for awhile. Even it meant calling him 40 times a day.

Honey, can I go pee?
Honey, can I get some water?
Jenniy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:23 AM
6 moms liked this
He sounds like he's controlling
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blondepegasus
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Quoting Mommy0505:

DH & I discuss everything, especially if affects the other.  But if it's a small commitment that won't take away from other responsibilities, then eh. No biggie. You still told him!

Maybe he's worried you won't be able to bowl? Is there some particular reason he expressed about being upset that you didn't run it by him first?  Maybe he was planning on running!! lol. 

HaHa...hard for him to run since it's an all female league!

No, he didn't say why he expected me to run it by him first. He does have a slightly controlling personality...he used to want me to go to bed at the same time as him...if he was ready, I had to be ready...little stuff like that. But that's okay because I have a controlling personality too and I give as well as I get!...LOL 

I think he thought it would entail more than it does and possibly take time away from the family.  Anyway, he's fine with it, just was disappointed I didn't talk to him first and I wondered what others would have done.

blondepegasus
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:41 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

That's crazy. To be a smart ass I'd start asking permission for everything for awhile. Even it meant calling him 40 times a day.

Honey, can I go pee?
Honey, can I get some water?

I love that idea and it sounds just like something I would do. Why didn't I think of it?!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)