Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How can anyone deny their child?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I saw on a post awhile back that a mother denies her children when they want a hug or kiss. That is just sad... I have 3 boys and would never deny them love and affection!
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:02 AM
Replies (131-140):
syanmomie
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:02 AM

If they are in trouble at the moment and using it to get out of trouble, I will. But when they have served their time, which is usually time out, I give them a hug, a kiss, and discuss why they got into trouble. I never want to go more than five minutes without hugging or kissing my kids, so making them wait until punishment is over is just as torturous to me, if not more so!

fanci64
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:55 AM
Never enough love in the world. My kids are 28 and 29 and we still kiss each other goodbye when we are leaving after a visit. I love on my grandkids as much as possible too. Lol Their so precious and I get to send them home. Being a grandma the best.
linzermonkey
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:18 AM

if thats true thats really sad..why have kids? im always kissin and hugging my daughter. shes in a stage where she says yuck when i do it but that doesnt stop me..and if she actually wants me to pick her up, on a rare occasion, shes almost 3..i got no problem doin that, shes gonna be too big soon so mine as well enjoy it right?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I am pretty sure it's true. She listed a few things that she does like she was proud of them. I agree with you love on them while you can becuase when they get older they don't want as many kisses and hugs! I have an 8 year old son and he doesn't love on me like he used to but, that's okay. If I ask for a hug or kiss he will give it to me. My 3 year old loves hugs and kisses all the time sometimes he does it too much but, that's okay with me! My 20 month old gives kisses only when he wants to but, sometimes when I ask he will do it to! :) I just love being loved and I love hugs and kisses all the time! 

Quoting linzermonkey:

if thats true thats really sad..why have kids? im always kissin and hugging my daughter. shes in a stage where she says yuck when i do it but that doesnt stop me..and if she actually wants me to pick her up, on a rare occasion, shes almost 3..i got no problem doin that, shes gonna be too big soon so mine as well enjoy it right?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

That's awesome! I am 24 years old and my brother is 29 and we still kiss our mom and hug our mom! I hope my kids do they same when they are older as well! I believe they will because they get plenty of love and affection! My mom smoothers her grandkids lol! No one is promise tomorrow so love as much as you can because you don't know what could happen! 

Quoting fanci64:

Never enough love in the world. My kids are 28 and 29 and we still kiss each other goodbye when we are leaving after a visit. I love on my grandkids as much as possible too. Lol Their so precious and I get to send them home. Being a grandma the best.

justahousewife
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:46 AM

My 10yo is starting to feel her independence which translates into not getting as many hugs from her. It makes me sad. LOL Apparently big girls don't hug their mommies all the time. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I agree. I also do this. I don't give hugs and kisses in time out but, afterwards I will explain why they went in time out and give them a hug and a kiss and tell them mommy still loves you but, you can't do that. :) 

Quoting syanmomie:

If they are in trouble at the moment and using it to get out of trouble, I will. But when they have served their time, which is usually time out, I give them a hug, a kiss, and discuss why they got into trouble. I never want to go more than five minutes without hugging or kissing my kids, so making them wait until punishment is over is just as torturous to me, if not more so!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:49 AM

She did not elaborate. She just said I deny my children hugs and kisses. She also put a few other things that she does with her children. I am not sure if she was trying to get a rise out of people or if it was the truth. It was on a comment to another post.

Quoting buaslbutterfly:

Is she denying a hug and kiss everytime or is it right after a behavior that is real extreme like hitting. I could understand if the child hits and doesn't applogize to another person, but wants a hug because they like a hug. I might as a mother say, "I'll be happy to give you a hug after you have appologized for an action." But just not giving a hug for just because seems unusual punishment.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I have an 8 year old boy and he doesn't hug or kiss me unless I ask him to lol! They grow up so fast! 

Quoting justahousewife:

My 10yo is starting to feel her independence which translates into not getting as many hugs from her. It makes me sad. LOL Apparently big girls don't hug their mommies all the time. 

harehelper
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Oh no, I am not saying it was an excuse. A reason mabye, but never an excuse. I don't think there is ever an excuse for treating your child that way.

I hope you have been able to get past this and see your self as a strong, worthwhile person. Hugs!

Quoting VioletSpirit:

Thank you, I have no idea if she did, however no excuse for making me feel that way.

Quoting harehelper:

Ugh. So sorry... :( I wonder if she had some serious self-esteem issues and took them out on you.

Quoting VioletSpirit:

She was always ridiculing me. Telling me I'm fat, ugly, stupid and that she hates me. She would praise me around strangers, but around family and in private...I was hated. I should mention that usually she was a mean drunk, those times she was all lovey dovey was when there was a funeral.

Quoting harehelper:

It's really sad that your mom had to be drunk to tell you she loves you. They do say that alcohol is like a truth serum though, right? So at least you know that she really does love you, she just had a hard time saying it for some reason.

Quoting VioletSpirit:

I believe it. I only got hugs when mama was drunk. In fact, that was the only times she said she loves me. She thinks my kids are too affectionate, tough. Deal with it. They are going to kiss and hug you whether you want them to or not. Lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)