Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Still a little traumatized, but so thankful (Warning-post op pics)

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:25 PM
  • 55 Replies
4 moms liked this

At this time 12 years ago, I was going through some of the hardest times in my life.  In January 1999, my third son was born.  He was born with a congenital heart defect. He had his first heart surgery at only 10 days old after going into a full blown cardiac arrest. 

I spent the next several months living my life with ups and downs like I had never experienced before.  My son was always sick. Always in the ER.  Always fighting something.  I never knew from day to day if I would find him alive. 

On April 26, 2000, I realized there was something very wrong with my son.  Something they told me that the first heart surgery would prevent.  Something that wasn't supposed to be possible.  I took him to the ER and he went in to urgent heart surgery the very next morning.  He was 15 months old.

This is what he looked like after the surgery:

He was born just a wee little guy despite being full term due to umbilical cord defects.  He looked like a little fuzzy mouse.

We took him home for the first time at 3 weeks old.  He had been through one surgery.  He had drastically lost weight since birth.  He was a scrawny little guy.  We nicknamed him "frogbutt".  We meant it in the most endearing way of course.

Despite all of his issues, he grew into a beautiful, happy baby.

In this pic, you can see the scar from the first surgery under his right armpit and the scar down the center of his chest from his open heart at 15 months.

To this day, I cannot speak about everything we went through without crying.  It was so hard and traumatic.  Everything that could have possibly went wrong, did.  We felt like we were fighting a losing battle at times.  But, he stayed strong.

Now, I feel like my son has been shaped by his experiences.  He has a wonderful personality.  He is funny, kind and so easy going.  He is my easiest kid by far.  He is such a sweetheart. 

He is the one on the left in this video.  He is 13 now.  I feel so thankful to have him in my life.  He has taught me more than I could ever teach him.  Love you, PJ.  :)

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
charlene2010
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:27 PM
Aww hugs!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrouserMouse
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:27 PM
2 moms liked this

This is him today eating a burrito...lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommySwiggles
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Is he healthy now?

ginene
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Your son is sooo cute! Thank God he is ok now. You're doing a great job. Don't cry, you got me teary eyed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
masonmomma
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:28 PM
So sweet! Glad he is doing well now. Is everything better or do they anticipate future problems?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alyssaravensmom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:30 PM
:(. I am so sorry for all that he and you all have been through. I know a girl who lost her 3 month old 8 months ago from CHD.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrouserMouse
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Mostly.  He is severly underweight, but it doesn't seem to cause him too many issues.  The doctors are concerned that his lack of body fat may cause his body to stay in "conserve" mode and he may not take full advantage of his growth spurts.

One of his heart valves was so defective that they had to completely remove it.  He is monitored yearly to see how his heart is coping with missing a heart valve.  At some point, he will need to get a valve put in.  Due to this, he has very low stamina.  He can't run and keep up with other kids.  It took him like 22 minutes to do a mile when other kids his age are running it in 10 or less.

Quoting MommySwiggles:

Is he healthy now?

BV88
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:31 PM
Aw
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaNdYbEaR2010
by *Manda* on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:32 PM
What the heck were they eating?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jess0915
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:34 PM
Yes!
I actually kind of cheered because I was so afraid this post was going to take a sad turn.
I am so glad he has done so well! It's stories like these that renew my belief in miracles.
Thank you for sharing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN