Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How the heck can you homeschool your kids when you can't write a coherent sentence yourself?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 1737 Replies
85 moms liked this

Aaargh! It annoys me to no end. Yes, as parents you should have a say in your child's education, but that does not mean that you should homeschool if you are barely educated yourself. I just wish there was some sort of accountability when it comes to homeschooling.

"We home school 'em. I teach the big ones, and the big ones teach the little ones, but nobody taught me, so the whole thing is an exercise in futility. " Cletus

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sunnysdmom
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:21 AM
16 moms liked this
Agreed! I have a college degree and I get math questions from homeschooling parents on how to do percentages. Basic math! Infuriating! I worry for my senior citizen future.
SarahLizyB
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:22 AM
2 moms liked this
I completely agree. It's frustrating
kmorales7690
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:23 AM
13 moms liked this

lol i'm still undecided about homeschooling, but if i do i'm definitely taking some college courses on the basics and possible even some education courses, i've still got plenty of time, and luckily my mother is a elementary school teacher so i can call with any help, i have no doubt i need a few grammar refreshers, even though on here i really dont care about proper english

MommaSchimmel
by Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:27 AM
5 moms liked this
I am consitering homeschooling my boys. That's still a few years away for us but I know my Math skills are not highly advanced and that would be something I would need to study or hire a tutor for once they got to a HS level.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Djinn83
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:27 AM
80 moms liked this

In florida you have to pass a test to get permission to homeschool.

ETA: I don't k ow why some of you are so bent out of shape over this statement, I would think it would be a good thing. But let me clarify, in ESCAMBIA county, FL, to get permission from the school board to homeschool, they make you take an adult basic education test. (ABET). Whether this is an extra requirement for the county or not, I do not know. But if you are so confident in your abilities to homeschool, then this test shouldn't be such a big deal. Good grief.

Tired of bitch groups, but still love drama and snark? Join us on Exile Island. A fun place full of colorful people.

thehickinhickor
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:30 AM
5 moms liked this
I will not home school for that very reason i know my learning disability. Make me confused sometimes i don't want her to pick up my bad habits
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RedRozeMom
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:34 AM
20 moms liked this
I have always believed that there should be some sort of testing, seminars, schooling...something for those who choose to homeschool..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sunnysdmom
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Consider it practice .*hear
dmarie2101
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:38 AM
35 moms liked this

lol

i cringe when i see some people on here say they homeschool.

writingafwife
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:40 AM
16 moms liked this
Quoting Sunnysdmom:

Agreed! I have a college degree and I get math questions from homeschooling parents on how to do percentages. Basic math! Infuriating! I worry for my senior citizen future.

I aced college calculus and I still have a hard time with percentages because I was never taught them in school. Dh thinks its funny it's the only math thing he can do better than me and "it's so simple how can you not get it" some things just don't click for some people
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN