Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How the heck can you homeschool your kids when you can't write a coherent sentence yourself?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Aaargh! It annoys me to no end. Yes, as parents you should have a say in your child's education, but that does not mean that you should homeschool if you are barely educated yourself. I just wish there was some sort of accountability when it comes to homeschooling.

"We home school 'em. I teach the big ones, and the big ones teach the little ones, but nobody taught me, so the whole thing is an exercise in futility. " Cletus

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:15 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:22 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

I think it's a form of control. They don't WANT their children educated properly. They don't want them exposed to thoughts other than their own. Outside education opens the child up to making choices and having insight that is possibly different than the parents and they don't want that. It is threatening. Long ago men didn't want women to be able to read and write and be educated because then they would lose control over them. It's the same thing. And it shouldn't be allowed. One shouldn't be able to stifle a child's education and opportunity in order to control them. I'm well aware that there is less then ideal education available in some schools. But that is not an excuse. Find a school that IS a good one! I fully support making an ACTIVE choice about your child's education. But that doesn't require home schooling when you're not equipped for it. There are other options.

Not true in all cases but I definitely know families where that is the case. I know a guy who is in a dead end job and horribly socially inept because his mother wouldn't let him talk to anyone outside of their tiny church growing up and she was a lousy teacher. I know a woman who is home schooling now and I wish there was someone I could report her to because she is so incredibly dense. She has said that she doesn't believe in car seats because she doesn't believe in the laws of physics; she doesn't give her kids bike helmets for the same reason yet she let's them ride around on ATVs because she doesn't believe that they'd get head injuries falling off. Science is definitely her worst subject, she can't comprehend even the most basic things, but she was very poorly educated herself by her mother. If I'd been raised like that I would have risen above it but she embraced it. She is really quite dim and probably would have done poorly in school even with a good education but that's even more reason for her not to try and school her own kids. I think she had five kids at last count (she wants to be the next Duggar family) and I'll bet at least half of them will perpetuate the cycle of ignorance.
Bethsunshine
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:35 AM
9 moms liked this

Quoting Coca.Cola:

There is accountability in homeschooling. Each state has their own laws and testing practices. Most people do not understand this though. Plus my grammar on Facebook and Cafemom is not something I analyze.  I go on these sites to relax.

I agree with this 100%! The state I live in has some of the strictest homeschooling laws in the entire country.  When my oldest son was in private Christian school, his 2nd grade teacher had atrocious spelling!! Whenever she would send notes home with him, I had to fight the urge to correct her spelling with a big red pen. I got a letter last year from my school district regarding some of the ridiculous paperwork we have to turn in for homeschooling, and the name of the school district was misspelled in the letterhead!! The irony just cracked me up. I still have the letter somewhere as ammunition in case they decide to get uppity about something small that I missed.

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

Bethsunshine
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:37 AM
33 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it's a form of control. They don't WANT their children educated properly. They don't want them exposed to thoughts other than their own. Outside education opens the child up to making choices and having insight that is possibly different than the parents and they don't want that. It is threatening. Long ago men didn't want women to be able to read and write and be educated because then they would lose control over them. It's the same thing. And it shouldn't be allowed. One shouldn't be able to stifle a child's education and opportunity in order to control them. I'm well aware that there is less then ideal education available in some schools. But that is not an excuse. Find a school that IS a good one! I fully support making an ACTIVE choice about your child's education. But that doesn't require home schooling when you're not equipped for it. There are other options.

You figured it out. I homeschool my children because I'm a control freak and I don't want them educated properly. (eye roll) There is so much ignorance in this paragraph that I don't have time to even address all of it. Just keep on thinking you know the situation of every single homeschooling family in the entire country. Your delusional thoughts really are quite amusing.

I'm sure since you are a product of our wonderful public school system, you are quite aware that your paragraph is full of sentence fragments. Let's hear it for proper education!!!!

MrsErdos2011
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:49 AM
5 moms liked this

I'm going to homeschool my son. The shocker, I don't have my high school diploma or GED. 

MrsErdos2011
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:54 AM
7 moms liked this

Yep. It's a form of control because I want my son to be able to work at his pace. In my area, just to start kindergarten, he has to be able to count to 100, write a four sentence paragraph, write his abc's, write his name, know his colors, know how to add and subtract and a few other things that I can't remember off the top of my head. That is ridiculous for a five year old. I didn't learn half that stuff until first and second grade.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

PitaPata Dog tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 29, 2012 at 7:55 AM
2 moms liked this
Hmm I seem to have hit close to home with you. Maybe you should consider why you just got so defensive about the opinion of someone on the internet. I bet you're teaching your children some very valuable lessons with that defensive, I'm better than everyone else, small town attitude of yours. Lol @ your correcting my internet grammar. Sad sad life you have.

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Quoting Anonymous:

You figured it out. I homeschool my children because I'm a control freak and I don't want them educated properly. (eye roll) There is so much ignorance in this paragraph that I don't have time to even address all of it. Just keep on thinking you know the situation of every single homeschooling family in the entire country. Your delusional thoughts really are quite amusing.

I'm sure since you are a product of our wonderful public school system, you are quite aware that your paragraph is full of sentence fragments. Let's hear it for proper education!!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:00 AM

I have a 5th grade math level but still plan on home schooling until 6th grade.   Math just does not compute or click with me at all.  I only get math if Dh explains it to me.

ekralevich
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:00 AM
3 moms liked this

Most homeschooling programs have it all in a book.  You don't need to be edumicated, just know how to read.  Or you can do all online classes.  There are options for a parent who doesn't want to send their child to school, but doesn't have a degree to teach.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:00 AM
2 moms liked this
Exactly. You want him to be an idiot just like you. God forbid, if he went to school he might actually graduate and make something of his life! *gasp* Instead you'd rather be selfish and limit his options so he can live in your basement with snaggle teeth and greasy hair forever.

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

Yep. It's a form of control because I want my son to be able to work at his pace. In my area, just to start kindergarten, he has to be able to count to 100, write a four sentence paragraph, write his abc's, write his name, know his colors, know how to add and subtract and a few other things that I can't remember off the top of my head. That is ridiculous for a five year old. I didn't learn half that stuff until first and second grade.

Quoting Anonymous:

Bethsunshine
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:05 AM
6 moms liked this
Quoting Anonymous:

If you're so confident in your opinion, why hide behind the anonymous button? Yes, you did hit a nerve. People like you who make sweeping, uninformed generalizations about homeschooling always fire me up. If you want to know more about homeschooling, I will be more than happy to explain when I get home later today. If you want to continue living with your uninformed opinion, that's up to you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN