Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How the heck can you homeschool your kids when you can't write a coherent sentence yourself?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Aaargh! It annoys me to no end. Yes, as parents you should have a say in your child's education, but that does not mean that you should homeschool if you are barely educated yourself. I just wish there was some sort of accountability when it comes to homeschooling.

"We home school 'em. I teach the big ones, and the big ones teach the little ones, but nobody taught me, so the whole thing is an exercise in futility. " Cletus

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:15 AM
Replies (41-50):
ekralevich
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:06 AM
3 moms liked this

What funnier is your anonymous.  For the rest of what you said.  I think your a moron to and I don't home school.  I wish I could but, I'm not patent enough.  I would do it because my child is very smart and is learning nothing in public school.  I have tried and tried to talk to the school and they keep saying they will help, but it's not enough.  I don't want my child moved grades because it will expose him to stuff that is not his age.  I still want him to be a child.  Private school is to expensive and not worth it.  So I just hope we move soon and to a much better school system.  I'm just wondering if that sound like a controlling parent?

Quoting Anonymous:

Hmm I seem to have hit close to home with you. Maybe you should consider why you just got so defensive about the opinion of someone on the internet. I bet you're teaching your children some very valuable lessons with that defensive, I'm better than everyone else, small town attitude of yours. Lol @ your correcting my internet grammar. Sad sad life you have.

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it's a form of control. They don't WANT their children educated properly. They don't want them exposed to thoughts other than their own. Outside education opens the child up to making choices and having insight that is possibly different than the parents and they don't want that. It is threatening. Long ago men didn't want women to be able to read and write and be educated because then they would lose control over them. It's the same thing. And it shouldn't be allowed. One shouldn't be able to stifle a child's education and opportunity in order to control them. I'm well aware that there is less then ideal education available in some schools. But that is not an excuse. Find a school that IS a good one! I fully support making an ACTIVE choice about your child's education. But that doesn't require home schooling when you're not equipped for it. There are other options.

You figured it out. I homeschool my children because I'm a control freak and I don't want them educated properly. (eye roll) There is so much ignorance in this paragraph that I don't have time to even address all of it. Just keep on thinking you know the situation of every single homeschooling family in the entire country. Your delusional thoughts really are quite amusing.

I'm sure since you are a product of our wonderful public school system, you are quite aware that your paragraph is full of sentence fragments. Let's hear it for proper education!!!!

CreziaMommyTo2
7 moms liked this

please don't consider it!!!

Quoting MommaSchimmel:

I am consitering homeschooling my boys. That's still a few years away for us but I know my Math skills are not highly advanced and that would be something I would need to study or hire a tutor for once they got to a HS level.

MrsErdos2011
3 moms liked this

Yep that's it. If he went to school he'd deal with close-minded people like you that can't open their eyes to other options. God forbid I let that happen. I'm glad you know me personally to know I'm an idiot. Just because I don't have a piece of paper doesn't mean I'm not educated.

Quoting Anonymous:

Exactly. You want him to be an idiot just like you. God forbid, if he went to school he might actually graduate and make something of his life! *gasp* Instead you'd rather be selfish and limit his options so he can live in your basement with snaggle teeth and greasy hair forever.

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

Yep. It's a form of control because I want my son to be able to work at his pace. In my area, just to start kindergarten, he has to be able to count to 100, write a four sentence paragraph, write his abc's, write his name, know his colors, know how to add and subtract and a few other things that I can't remember off the top of my head. That is ridiculous for a five year old. I didn't learn half that stuff until first and second grade.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it's a form of control. They don't WANT their children educated properly. They don't want them exposed to thoughts other than their own. Outside education opens the child up to making choices and having insight that is possibly different than the parents and they don't want that. It is threatening. Long ago men didn't want women to be able to read and write and be educated because then they would lose control over them. It's the same thing. And it shouldn't be allowed. One shouldn't be able to stifle a child's education and opportunity in order to control them. I'm well aware that there is less then ideal education available in some schools. But that is not an excuse. Find a school that IS a good one! I fully support making an ACTIVE choice about your child's education. But that doesn't require home schooling when you're not equipped for it. There are other options.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

PitaPata Dog tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

ekralevich
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:07 AM
3 moms liked this

I call bull shit on what a kindergartner needs to know.  Where do you live?  

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

Yep. It's a form of control because I want my son to be able to work at his pace. In my area, just to start kindergarten, he has to be able to count to 100, write a four sentence paragraph, write his abc's, write his name, know his colors, know how to add and subtract and a few other things that I can't remember off the top of my head. That is ridiculous for a five year old. I didn't learn half that stuff until first and second grade.

Quoting Anonymous:

MrsErdos2011
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:09 AM

You can call bull shit all you want. I live in Michiana. 

Quoting ekralevich:

I call bull shit on what a kindergartner needs to know.  Where do you live?  

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

Quoting Anonymous:

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

PitaPata Dog tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:09 AM
3 moms liked this
Oh the irony.

Quoting MommaSchimmel:

I am consitering homeschooling my boys. That's still a few years away for us but I know my Math skills are not highly advanced and that would be something I would need to study or hire a tutor for once they got to a HS level.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:11 AM
5 moms liked this
Yes because public school does such a great job.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:14 AM
3 moms liked this
Stop hating just because your jealous.
wolvesfire
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Quoting Megankae:

That's a good idea. I have been a little freaked out by some people who home school.

It's great they want to teach their kids, but not all people should. You know? Here in Germany it is illegal to home school. Their reasoning behind it is that one person can not be an expert in all subjects. Especially if they did not go to school to be a teacher.
Plus German schools are awesome, there isn't really a need to home school.

Quoting Djinn83:

In florida you have to pass a test to get permission to homeschool.

Actually most European countries don't allow home schooling which is stupid in my opinion.  I'm appalled at how many countries in Europe and Asia don't allow parents the right to educate their children. Just becuase you have a teaching degree doesn't mean you can teach and I am planning on majoring in Early Childhood Education for my AAS and B.Ed.

SimplyErathy
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:18 AM
2 moms liked this
Sooooo every single parent should spell and use correct grammar? Every parent is a teacher even if you don't home school. Unless your not involved in your child's education... which that is a issue itself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)