Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How the heck can you homeschool your kids when you can't write a coherent sentence yourself?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Aaargh! It annoys me to no end. Yes, as parents you should have a say in your child's education, but that does not mean that you should homeschool if you are barely educated yourself. I just wish there was some sort of accountability when it comes to homeschooling.

"We home school 'em. I teach the big ones, and the big ones teach the little ones, but nobody taught me, so the whole thing is an exercise in futility. " Cletus

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:15 AM
Replies (51-60):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:18 AM
7 moms liked this
Not picking on you but it's "spelled" not "spelt".

Quoting Zacksmama82411:

hehe not picking on you but consider taking a few refresher course, you spelt "considering" as "consitering" :)

(promise its not picking on you!! i just wanted to help with OPs point :) )

Quoting MommaSchimmel:

I am consitering homeschooling my boys. That's still a few years away for us but I know my Math skills are not highly advanced and that would be something I would need to study or hire a tutor for once they got to a HS level.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Good on Florida for having that requirement.

Quoting Djinn83:

In florida you have to pass a test to get permission to homeschool.

chipper87
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:21 AM
7 moms liked this
Look up unschooling.

To me, what you said about homeschooling seems more fitting for public schools, but Im a very child-led educating mama. I know a few that do fit this description, but we personally are about diversity and learning through daily life, there is some scheduled work but its thematic based on holidays, events, etc. I will start teaching my 4 year old in the fall and so far our curriculum is mostly a few types of daily journals(weather/science/math, literacy/spelling/handwriting/grammar/prompted creative writing, lesson reflections), as well as our thematic units and any lessons she wants to learn/places she wants to go. I would rather use the world as my classroom than sit her in a room all day and teach AT her. The more hands on, and child led that I let it be, the more information she will retain for a longer period of time.

I hope one day you can see some diversity in homeschooling and can appreciate all the many things it can offer a growing mind when its done effectively :)

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it's a form of control. They don't WANT their children educated properly. They don't want them exposed to thoughts other than their own. Outside education opens the child up to making choices and having insight that is possibly different than the parents and they don't want that. It is threatening. Long ago men didn't want women to be able to read and write and be educated because then they would lose control over them. It's the same thing. And it shouldn't be allowed. One shouldn't be able to stifle a child's education and opportunity in order to control them. I'm well aware that there is less then ideal education available in some schools. But that is not an excuse. Find a school that IS a good one! I fully support making an ACTIVE choice about your child's education. But that doesn't require home schooling when you're not equipped for it. There are other options.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EmilyMarshall
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:21 AM
It's frustrating

Autumn19
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:24 AM
I wish i had the ability to homeschool.
But i know i cannot provide the education for my children :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darkwhisper
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:27 AM
If the school system doesn't settle down about my oldest's attendance and him getting picked up early two times a week for allergy shots; I'm going to pull him out and teach him at home. Besides, their curriculum is far too advanced for their age anyway. Multiplecation concepts, Of than, less than and equal to, and adding and subtracting double digits. Its unreal! They want them to learn this stuff, but they cant retain any of it because they simply aren't reasy for it mentally. I completely suck at math, bu DH and several friends are awesome at it. I'm better at english, literature, spelling, science, and history.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:27 AM
2 moms liked this
Lol! You're kidding, right? That was a joke, right? I'm mobile so your corrections are in ()...

"What (IS) funnier is you('RE) anonymous.  For the rest of what you said(,)  I think you('re) a moron to(o) and I don't home school.  I wish I could but, I'm not pat(I)ent enough."  

Quoting ekralevich:

What funnier is your anonymous.  For the rest of what you said.  I think your a moron to and I don't home school.  I wish I could but, I'm not patent enough.  I would do it because my child is very smart and is learning nothing in public school.  I have tried and tried to talk to the school and they keep saying they will help, but it's not enough.  I don't want my child moved grades because it will expose him to stuff that is not his age.  I still want him to be a child.  Private school is to expensive and not worth it.  So I just hope we move soon and to a much better school system.  I'm just wondering if that sound like a controlling parent?

Quoting Anonymous:

Hmm I seem to have hit close to home with you. Maybe you should consider why you just got so defensive about the opinion of someone on the internet. I bet you're teaching your children some very valuable lessons with that defensive, I'm better than everyone else, small town attitude of yours. Lol @ your correcting my internet grammar. Sad sad life you have.

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it's a form of control. They don't WANT their children educated properly. They don't want them exposed to thoughts other than their own. Outside education opens the child up to making choices and having insight that is possibly different than the parents and they don't want that. It is threatening. Long ago men didn't want women to be able to read and write and be educated because then they would lose control over them. It's the same thing. And it shouldn't be allowed. One shouldn't be able to stifle a child's education and opportunity in order to control them. I'm well aware that there is less then ideal education available in some schools. But that is not an excuse. Find a school that IS a good one! I fully support making an ACTIVE choice about your child's education. But that doesn't require home schooling when you're not equipped for it. There are other options.

You figured it out. I homeschool my children because I'm a control freak and I don't want them educated properly. (eye roll) There is so much ignorance in this paragraph that I don't have time to even address all of it. Just keep on thinking you know the situation of every single homeschooling family in the entire country. Your delusional thoughts really are quite amusing.

I'm sure since you are a product of our wonderful public school system, you are quite aware that your paragraph is full of sentence fragments. Let's hear it for proper education!!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Seriously. I went to 14 different schools; some were public, charter, private,and academies. There was not one teacher who was actually good at their subject. Its sad when your teacher gets an answer wrong and then relies on the answer guide. Without that none of them would know what to do.

Quoting wolvesfire:

Quoting Megankae:

That's a good idea. I have been a little freaked out by some people who home school.

It's great they want to teach their kids, but not all people should. You know? Here in Germany it is illegal to home school. Their reasoning behind it is that one person can not be an expert in all subjects. Especially if they did not go to school to be a teacher.
Plus German schools are awesome, there isn't really a need to home school.

Quoting Djinn83:

In florida you have to pass a test to get permission to homeschool.

Actually most European countries don't allow home schooling which is stupid in my opinion.  I'm appalled at how many countries in Europe and Asia don't allow parents the right to educate their children. Just becuase you have a teaching degree doesn't mean you can teach and I am planning on majoring in Early Childhood Education for my AAS and B.Ed.

darkwhisper
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:29 AM
2 moms liked this
Stupid phone. I meant greater than, less than and equal to. Who ever said smart phones were smart, needs to be smacked. -.-
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsSamMerlotte
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this
I am considering homeschooling my six year old next year because the public schools in our area are seriously lacking. The kids and teachers in this area are terrible too. I can't afford private school, so it's public or hs.
Yes, I make mistakes because I am still human. Yes, there are a few things I could brush up on, and I am doing that. I don't plan on hsing through high school, just until we move.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)