Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How the heck can you homeschool your kids when you can't write a coherent sentence yourself?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Aaargh! It annoys me to no end. Yes, as parents you should have a say in your child's education, but that does not mean that you should homeschool if you are barely educated yourself. I just wish there was some sort of accountability when it comes to homeschooling.

"We home school 'em. I teach the big ones, and the big ones teach the little ones, but nobody taught me, so the whole thing is an exercise in futility. " Cletus

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:15 AM
Replies (101-110):
MamaK313
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't understand how they think just going to school makes you an expert? If you're bad with grammar or math before college I don't think a couple courses on it will qualify you to be an expert. As I said in my post, I have fellow co-workers, both of which have their Master's degrees, who can't tell time or spell first grade spelling words (contractions literally confused her) yet teachers like that can be called experts?

Quoting Megankae:

That's a good idea. I have been a little freaked out by some people who home school.

It's great they want to teach their kids, but not all people should. You know? Here in Germany it is illegal to home school. Their reasoning behind it is that one person can not be an expert in all subjects. Especially if they did not go to school to be a teacher.

Plus German schools are awesome, there isn't really a need to home school.

Quoting Djinn83:

In florida you have to pass a test to get permission to homeschool.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
So_Devious20
by Misha Lovegood<3 on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:59 AM
*consider an English course too...

Quoting MommaSchimmel:

I am consitering homeschooling my boys. That's still a few years away for us but I know my Math skills are not highly advanced and that would be something I would need to study or hire a tutor for once they got to a HS level.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:01 AM
4 moms liked this
A piece of paper doesn't "prove" how smart you are. My grandfather was an orphan in the great depression, and never went past 4th grade in school. One of the smartest men I ever met. He worked as an accountant AND tutor in his life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ekralevich
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

If you look at her next reply, she says that this is what her sisters says her kids have to be able to do.  I'm sick of people stretching the truth and there is nothing wrong with research.  I'd love to find a school that required more out of my son.  People call people out all the time on here.  But, yes I'm different and I'm fine with that. LOL

Quoting MrsSamMerlotte:

Ok thats a little psychotic.... Maybe you should take a break from cafemom...

Quoting ekralevich:

I found the closest school and I will be calling on Monday.  New Buffalo Elementary.  If I am wrong, I'll be more than willing to let everyone else know I was wrong.  

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

You can call bull shit all you want. I live in Michiana. 

Quoting ekralevich:

I call bull shit on what a kindergartner needs to know.  Where do you live?  

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

Yep. It's a form of control because I want my son to be able to work at his pace. In my area, just to start kindergarten, he has to be able to count to 100, write a four sentence paragraph, write his abc's, write his name, know his colors, know how to add and subtract and a few other things that I can't remember off the top of my head. That is ridiculous for a five year old. I didn't learn half that stuff until first and second grade.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it's a form of control. They don't WANT their children educated properly. They don't want them exposed to thoughts other than their own. Outside education opens the child up to making choices and having insight that is possibly different than the parents and they don't want that. It is threatening. Long ago men didn't want women to be able to read and write and be educated because then they would lose control over them. It's the same thing. And it shouldn't be allowed. One shouldn't be able to stifle a child's education and opportunity in order to control them. I'm well aware that there is less then ideal education available in some schools. But that is not an excuse. Find a school that IS a good one! I fully support making an ACTIVE choice about your child's education. But that doesn't require home schooling when you're not equipped for it. There are other options.

Coca.Cola
Funny

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Quoting Coca.Cola:

There is accountability in homeschooling. Each state has their own laws and testing practices. Most people do not understand this though. Plus my grammar on Facebook and Cafemom is not something I analyze.  I go on these sites to relax.

I agree with this 100%! The state I live in has some of the strictest homeschooling laws in the entire country.  When my oldest son was in private Christian school, his 2nd grade teacher had atrocious spelling!! Whenever she would send notes home with him, I had to fight the urge to correct her spelling with a big red pen. I got a letter last year from my school district regarding some of the ridiculous paperwork we have to turn in for homeschooling, and the name of the school district was misspelled in the letterhead!! The irony just cracked me up. I still have the letter somewhere as ammunition in case they decide to get uppity about something small that I missed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

true. but now what would happen if all parents looked for the best school....obviously it would either get over crowded or  kids would still end up in crappy schools. but there are more reasons then education to consider with homeschooling. for me its also safety. iv seen things on the news and in the paper about even a 5yo bringing a gun to school and it went off in his bag and shot a little girl. i cant tell you unless someone decides to come rob us in broad daylight with all our security cams in plain veiw my kids have a much much much less chance of being bullied, stabbed, shot, or any of the other countless things that go on in schools. EVERY school has a bully. these are life lessons i dont feel my children should have to endure. there are safer ways to teach kids to deal with bulling (which can happen even in the work place so i know it is needed that they learn the skills). my kids take mixed martial arts, and a tumble class. we act out situations that may come up even among their friends. they are very independent and out going. we went to the zoo this past week and their was a school visiting and my kids had no issue going to the other kids and talking with them. plus i don't need the stress of trying to get my kid into the best school, paying for uniforms, paying for all the stuff on the list, field trips, what is my child actually learning, ect. 

i agree there are home school parents out there that really should not be. BUT that doesn't mean its bad. that's like saying because one African America guy robed a bank ALL aa are horrible thugs.....yea not so much right? just like in a school parents can either be involved and their children succeed or they can just leave it to the child..like my bil who just droped out a few months before graduation because he refuses to do any work and his dad refuses to enforce anything...instead he gives him a car-_- i would have put my foot down and had a meeting with his teachers. NO child should fail. there is NO good reason that should ever happen. if they are home schooled it is the parent/tutors responsibility to help that child achieve all their goals, same for regular schooling.

Quoting Anonymous:

It does if you actually get involved in your child's education. Research school districts. We are moving because this school district sucks. They are in private school this year because of it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes because public school does such a great job.

kiaras_mommy
1 mom liked this
Misspelling one word hardly means she needs to take an English course. Even the smartest people can misspell words or use them incorrectly. She just needs to be careful, use spell check if available, and if she's not certain of a word look it up.

Quoting So_Devious20:

*consider an English course too...

Quoting MommaSchimmel:

I am consitering homeschooling my boys. That's still a few years away for us but I know my Math skills are not highly advanced and that would be something I would need to study or hire a tutor for once they got to a HS level.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:03 AM

I have a college degree...but anyhow, there are programs (switched on school house, etc) that teach your child most of what they need to know and all you have to do is make sure they are getting their hours in.

At any rate, I somewhat agree, unless they join a homeschool co op-that can be helpful if a parent isn't good at one subject but is another. 

tecsabates
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:03 AM

And to everyone that keeps bashing teachers - way to be ignorant asses and make general assumptions about a whole group based on a few you've experienced.  I have several friends who are teachers, and they are great at their jobs. They love teaching, and they love the kids they teach.My yds teacher is incredible - a wonderful woman.  Not all public schools are that bad either.  My sons school district is amazing. Both of my boys have ADHD nd big behavior probs/ The school has been so amazingly supportive, even helping us find outside resources to help.  The school I went to as a kid, tho, sucked ass and still does.   So yeah some suck, but don't judge them all....

Coca.Cola
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this
The true laws for every state are at www.hslda.org.

Quoting Anonymous:

Really? Where can I get more information on this?

I was thinking of homeschooling my children and I live in Florida, but I have never heard of a test.

Do you know where I can find out more?

Quoting Djinn83:

In florida you have to pass a test to get permission to homeschool.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)