Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How the heck can you homeschool your kids when you can't write a coherent sentence yourself?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Aaargh! It annoys me to no end. Yes, as parents you should have a say in your child's education, but that does not mean that you should homeschool if you are barely educated yourself. I just wish there was some sort of accountability when it comes to homeschooling.

"We home school 'em. I teach the big ones, and the big ones teach the little ones, but nobody taught me, so the whole thing is an exercise in futility. " Cletus

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:15 AM
Replies (131-140):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Exactly my point.

Quoting Chris030406:

I am a product of a public education. My children attend a public school.

I hold my degrees in Psychology and Fine Arts. DH, who graduated from a private school, holds his in Criminal Justice. Guess who completed a graduate degree and who didn't? If you guess me, you're correct! Guess who cringes when asked to help either of our 2nd graders with their homework? If you guessed my husband, you're correct!

Education is only as good as the work you put into it. If you simply send your child to school and not help them, it doesn't matter where you send them. Private education does not guarantee success.

Quoting Anonymous:

I cringe when I see public school parents type on here. I wonder how they hell they can help their children with homework.

MrsErdos2011
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Southern part of Michigan, Northern part of Indiana

Quoting mjande4:

That would be where?

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

You can call bull shit all you want. I live in Michiana

Quoting ekralevich:

I call bull shit on what a kindergartner needs to know.  Where do you live?  

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

Yep. It's a form of control because I want my son to be able to work at his pace. In my area, just to start kindergarten, he has to be able to count to 100, write a four sentence paragraph, write his abc's, write his name, know his colors, know how to add and subtract and a few other things that I can't remember off the top of my head. That is ridiculous for a five year old. I didn't learn half that stuff until first and second grade.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it's a form of control. They don't WANT their children educated properly. They don't want them exposed to thoughts other than their own. Outside education opens the child up to making choices and having insight that is possibly different than the parents and they don't want that. It is threatening. Long ago men didn't want women to be able to read and write and be educated because then they would lose control over them. It's the same thing. And it shouldn't be allowed. One shouldn't be able to stifle a child's education and opportunity in order to control them. I'm well aware that there is less then ideal education available in some schools. But that is not an excuse. Find a school that IS a good one! I fully support making an ACTIVE choice about your child's education. But that doesn't require home schooling when you're not equipped for it. There are other options.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

PitaPata Dog tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:19 AM
So that one experience makes all homeschooling bad?

Quoting chalisa0:

I could not agree more.  My sister decided to homeschool her daughter (not the boys for some reason) and yet she dropped out of high school in the 9th grade!  One of the dumbest people I know.  The one who suffered is my poor niece.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsErdos2011
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Yea. My sil has one going into kindergarten and she has to know all that. The paragraph may be for passing but the other are for starting.

Quoting tripelmom:

Are you sure that's for passing not starting? I have my 4th child in k and this is what they needed to know in order to pass. They also have many sight words they need to know and are able to read in set amount of time. There really isn't a test to start k so how are they going to know if the kids know all of this. If they don't know all this what do they do not let them start? I think you may have heard wrong. Don't get me wrong they do need to know a lot more then we did, but that is like i said to pass not start.

Not trying to be mean just don't want the moms with little ones to freak out if their lo can not do all of this. Trust me you will be amazed with what they learn and how fast. My 5 year old with autism is even doing well with most of this.

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

Ok. Michiana is the area, not a specific town. My sil was telling me this is what her kindergarteners (she has 2) need to be able to do.

Quoting ekralevich:

I found the closest school and I will be calling on Monday.  New Buffalo Elementary.  If I am wrong, I'll be more than willing to let everyone else know I was wrong.  

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

You can call bull shit all you want. I live in Michiana. 

Quoting ekralevich:

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

Yep. It's a form of control because I want my son to be able to work at his pace. In my area, just to start kindergarten, he has to be able to count to 100, write a four sentence paragraph, write his abc's, write his name, know his colors, know how to add and subtract and a few other things that I can't remember off the top of my head. That is ridiculous for a five year old. I didn't learn half that stuff until first and second grade.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it's a form of control. They don't WANT their children educated properly. They don't want them exposed to thoughts other than their own. Outside education opens the child up to making choices and having insight that is possibly different than the parents and they don't want that. It is threatening. Long ago men didn't want women to be able to read and write and be educated because then they would lose control over them. It's the same thing. And it shouldn't be allowed. One shouldn't be able to stifle a child's education and opportunity in order to control them. I'm well aware that there is less then ideal education available in some schools. But that is not an excuse. Find a school that IS a good one! I fully support making an ACTIVE choice about your child's education. But that doesn't require home schooling when you're not equipped for it. There are other options.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

PitaPata Dog tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

celestegood
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:20 AM
4 moms liked this

As do I.  But I homeschool because my son is transgendered.  He was bullied horribly.  I teach him from Darwin's book(that is anti christian-omg, evolution!!!!), and non christian school books.  They are hard to find!  But it can be done.  I homeschool him, and he learns very well more than the kids in high school learn.  The schools here-all of them-are sub par.  My son is advanced and is doing great.

I don't think homeschooling is holding him back-in fact, quite the opposite.  He is flourishing now, as opposed as to how he was doing before in public school.  And we don't have to visit the school and pray that my son isn't beat up or hurt because the teachers just can't stop the bullying that was happening.

Nothing is more horrible than having to worry your son will be hurt in school simply because he is who he is.  I'll take homeschool any day over that.

This isn't to you, Sweet_Britt, but to the anonymous below you.

Quoting Sweet_Britt:

I totally agree in religious circumstances. 

Quoting Anonymous:

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Have you guys ever seen Lewis Black's character in Accepted?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:21 AM

She thought you made a mistake in spelling. Funny.

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

Southern part of Michigan, Northern part of Indiana

Quoting mjande4:

That would be where?

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

You can call bull shit all you want. I live in Michiana

Quoting ekralevich:

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

Quoting Anonymous:

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:23 AM
I hope your son continues to flourish! Sounds like you are giving him a great foundation :)

Quoting celestegood:

As do I.  But I homeschool because my son is transgendered.  He was bullied horribly.  I teach him from Darwin's book(that is anti christian-omg, evolution!!!!), and non christian school books.  They are hard to find!  But it can be done.  I homeschool him, and he learns very well more than the kids in high school learn.  The schools here-all of them-are sub par.  My son is advanced and is doing great.

I don't think homeschooling is holding him back-in fact, quite the opposite.  He is flourishing now, as opposed as to how he was doing before in public school.  And we don't have to visit the school and pray that my son isn't beat up or hurt because the teachers just can't stop the bullying that was happening.

Nothing is more horrible than having to worry your son will be hurt in school simply because he is who he is.  I'll take homeschool any day over that.

This isn't to you, Sweet_Britt, but to the anonymous below you.

Quoting Sweet_Britt:

I totally agree in religious circumstances. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 21 on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:25 AM

*spelled, not spelt.

Quoting Zacksmama82411:

hehe not picking on you but consider taking a few refresher course, you spelt "considering" as "consitering" :)
(promise its not picking on you!! i just wanted to help with OPs point :) )

Quoting MommaSchimmel:

I am consitering homeschooling my boys. That's still a few years away for us but I know my Math skills are not highly advanced and that would be something I would need to study or hire a tutor for once they got to a HS level.

Christine0813
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:27 AM

sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting Anonymous:

*spelled, not spelt.

Quoting Zacksmama82411:

hehe not picking on you but consider taking a few refresher course, you spelt "considering" as "consitering" :)
(promise its not picking on you!! i just wanted to help with OPs point :) )

Quoting MommaSchimmel:

I am consitering homeschooling my boys. That's still a few years away for us but I know my Math skills are not highly advanced and that would be something I would need to study or hire a tutor for once they got to a HS level.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN