Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How the heck can you homeschool your kids when you can't write a coherent sentence yourself?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Aaargh! It annoys me to no end. Yes, as parents you should have a say in your child's education, but that does not mean that you should homeschool if you are barely educated yourself. I just wish there was some sort of accountability when it comes to homeschooling.

"We home school 'em. I teach the big ones, and the big ones teach the little ones, but nobody taught me, so the whole thing is an exercise in futility. " Cletus

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:15 AM
Replies (501-510):
KHeatherK
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I dont wanna bash anyone on here but when we were a military family living on base,there was a lot of women home schooling their kids, & they were NOT qualified what-so-ever!!! I felt they were lazy & didnt want to get up early & take their kids to school.... I could never home school my kids, I feel they need that school interraction it helps later on in life
acj03
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Yes,leave the teaching to the professionals.

justme00
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:28 PM
2 moms liked this

YES, it seems alot of moms around here need to do some researching on this topic. Got to love it when people who dont know what they are talking about open their mouth and look stupid. LOL

Quoting Anonymous:

These are the words spoken from someone who truly doesn't know a thing about homeschool. Try researching.

Quoting aprilrain4:

I think that those who homeschool their children take away social skills, activity skills, making friends, and more.

Tya21
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I'd never homeschool my daughter, partially because I can be honest and say that even though I have a high school education I'm simply not cut out for it. Aside from that I think a big part of the school experience is learning to interact with others and how to handle social situations, which I find is essential for adult life, and frankly not something your kid can learn in your kitchen. I have no issue with homeschooling though, kudos to the folks who can do it.

Altak9
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Quoting Coca.Cola:

There is accountability in homeschooling. Each state has their own laws and testing practices. Most people do not understand this though. Plus my grammar on Facebook and Cafemom is not something I analyze.  I go on these sites to relax.

I agree with you!

I think it would be nice if people would educate themselves before they try to tell others how to do something.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 49 on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Do you not know that the sentence your referring to is a quote not an actual sentence someone wrote . Its a quote from the Simpsons. 

Altak9
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting justme00:

YES, it seems alot of moms around here need to do some researching on this topic. Got to love it when people who dont know what they are talking about open their mouth and look stupid. LOL

Quoting Anonymous:

These are the words spoken from someone who truly doesn't know a thing about homeschool. Try researching.

Quoting aprilrain4:

I think that those who homeschool their children take away social skills, activity skills, making friends, and more.

Very well said.

itsrtimedownher
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this

it's infuriating to you that people want to learn so they can help their children? wow.

Quoting Sunnysdmom:

Agreed! I have a college degree and I get math questions from homeschooling parents on how to do percentages. Basic math! Infuriating! I worry for my senior citizen future.

i homeschool and i don't know everything. if they have a question and i don't know the answer, we find out together. i don't understand why that is a bad thing.

lucsch
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:31 PM
4 moms liked this

Homeschoolers actually do quite well in testing. Get your facts straight. Most homeschoolers do it because they want a BETTER education for their kids. It is rather narrowminded to lump all homeschoolers together and generalize. Today's homeschoolers are not who you think they are.

To the original poster, I think yours and most of the posts here are just trying to justify why moms don't homeschool. Are you feeling guilty that you don't want to do it? Perhaps, you don't want to spend that much time with your own children. However, some of us do, so don't knock it.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it's a form of control. They don't WANT their children educated properly. They don't want them exposed to thoughts other than their own. Outside education opens the child up to making choices and having insight that is possibly different than the parents and they don't want that. It is threatening. Long ago men didn't want women to be able to read and write and be educated because then they would lose control over them. It's the same thing. And it shouldn't be allowed. One shouldn't be able to stifle a child's education and opportunity in order to control them. I'm well aware that there is less then ideal education available in some schools. But that is not an excuse. Find a school that IS a good one! I fully support making an ACTIVE choice about your child's education. But that doesn't require home schooling when you're not equipped for it. There are other options.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 49 on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly!!!!!!

Quoting Altak9:

Quoting Coca.Cola:

There is accountability in homeschooling. Each state has their own laws and testing practices. Most people do not understand this though. Plus my grammar on Facebook and Cafemom is not something I analyze.  I go on these sites to relax.

I agree with you!

I think it would be nice if people would educate themselves before they try to tell others how to do something.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)