Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How the heck can you homeschool your kids when you can't write a coherent sentence yourself?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Aaargh! It annoys me to no end. Yes, as parents you should have a say in your child's education, but that does not mean that you should homeschool if you are barely educated yourself. I just wish there was some sort of accountability when it comes to homeschooling.

"We home school 'em. I teach the big ones, and the big ones teach the little ones, but nobody taught me, so the whole thing is an exercise in futility. " Cletus

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:15 AM
Replies (531-540):
OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:41 PM
There is accountability here in PA. And I am slightly convinced that with the amount of functionally illiterate people who come in to my job the public school system isn't doing them justice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brunett34
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I homeschool 4 out 5 of my kids and they are doing just fine! I've been homeschooling since my oldest was in 3rd grade and he is now in 6th grade. My other kids have been homeschooled since Kindergarden. They all have excellant grades. They all attend live lessons daily some more than once a day. The teacher is there to help them with any questions they might have. Not to mention me to help them. I'm far from a genius, but I'm not an idiot. Is all it takes is hard work and dedication. I'm proud to homeschool my children. Plus, I don't have to worry about bullies or them hanging with the wrong crowd. Please don't take this as an insult to anyone I'm just simply stating what I do for my children.

Kris0608
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:43 PM
3 moms liked this
Wow...this is not an intelligent discussion, but a bunch of bullying.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 53 on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I was a teacher and I think it's funny that so many uneducated or barely educated parents think they know as much as you do. Passing 2nd grade is not the same thing as teaching 2nd grade, just as a doctor stitching up a wound is not the same as having a wound. We are supposed to be living in a free country, so this freedom should not be taken away. There are some parents who can handle it, and some who shouldn't be home schooling. There are also some teachers who shouldn't be teaching.
zeesmuse
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:44 PM
2 moms liked this

There are ways and means that many people who home school use to aid in the education of their children. this includes, co-teaching with other parents (who are probably well-versed in subject they aren' well-versed in) computer/web-sites and private schools that cater to the home school child.

As a teacher, there are subjects I know I am deficient in teaching. That wouldn't stop me from home-schooling if I could a) afford it and b) felt that schooling my child at home was the better alternative.

ajadog
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:44 PM

I have a college degree & math by far is my weakest subject.  My husband has a college degree & the liberal arts are his area of weakness.  We are able to play off of eachother, our kid doesn't lack knowledge in any subject simply because we aren't both experts in everything.  

Once a child hits middle school and above separate teachers teach different subjects, one teacher is not expected to be an expert in all subjects.  

If I wanted to I could sit around all day and find fault with Public School teachers & their weaknesses but that would be a broad stroke of silliness.  

Just curious - what is your weakest subject? 

CheyennesMom03
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Djinn83:

In florida you have to pass a test to get permission to homeschool.

No, actually, you do not.

MrsMedina90

DS will be going to a charter school when he's older that is K-12, I want him to have the best and I know that wouldn't be homeschooling in our case.

AChicoMommy
1 mom liked this
You should also know how to spell 'considering'.

Also, I have a friend who can't spell or use propper grammar and is certified to teach. We still have to take responsibility of our children and what they are learning.

Quoting MommaSchimmel:

I am consitering homeschooling my boys. That's still a few years away for us but I know my Math skills are not highly advanced and that would be something I would need to study or hire a tutor for once they got to a HS level.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:46 PM

As a teacher, what tools were you given to teach your class?

Quoting Anonymous:

I was a teacher and I think it's funny that so many uneducated or barely educated parents think they know as much as you do. Passing 2nd grade is not the same thing as teaching 2nd grade, just as a doctor stitching up a wound is not the same as having a wound. We are supposed to be living in a free country, so this freedom should not be taken away. There are some parents who can handle it, and some who shouldn't be home schooling. There are also some teachers who shouldn't be teaching.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN