Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How the heck can you homeschool your kids when you can't write a coherent sentence yourself?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Aaargh! It annoys me to no end. Yes, as parents you should have a say in your child's education, but that does not mean that you should homeschool if you are barely educated yourself. I just wish there was some sort of accountability when it comes to homeschooling.

"We home school 'em. I teach the big ones, and the big ones teach the little ones, but nobody taught me, so the whole thing is an exercise in futility. " Cletus

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:15 AM
Replies (831-840):
kristofsmommy
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Benefits of public/private schools: emotional management, distraction management, time management, following directions from someone other than mommy or daddy, separating work life from home life in order to balance obligations and personal needs (definitely a skill that adults need),  learning that work/school/play are separate entities (unless you WANT them to burn out), adapting to environments that are not set up for their sole comfort or satisfaction, learning to deal with conflicts involving other children and adults to name a few. Homeschooling can create a sense of superiority and ego that will not contribute to functioning in society. Drones? Sure, if your kid happens to be the one sitting in a cubicle, processing IT reports and programming computers because he is super smart but not socially inept. You can be as smart as a whip but you won't get far if you can't work in a group of strangers. The issue here is about regulating homeschooling to ensure that the parents who choose that path are capable of fulfilling their child's academic needs. There are pros and cons to both methods. But, academics can be learned whereas social interaction must be experienced. Why should parents who homeschool have any objection to state registration and testing if they feel their program is adequate and often superior? Let the results speak for themselves. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

What real world of socialization does a public school classroom emulate?

I desire my children to be MORE than another drone sitting in an office filled with 30 other cubicles doing the exact same thing as their peers. There is nothing WRONG with learning in a classroom environment; but it mystifies me when people actually infer it is anything like the adult work world.

Quoting kristofsmommy:

Agreed. Homeschooled children should be accounted for in the state registry and tested at the same time as their peers. I consider myself an educated person and even I decided that a private/public school could offer my child an experience that I couldn't. I have met some very bright homeschooled children. Academically bright. But, their social skills are severely lacking. The goal here is to provide our children with an education fit to ensure their place in our future. It would be great if parents could recognize their limitations and put their egos aside.

Quoting Sunnysdmom:

Agreed! I have a college degree and I get math questions from homeschooling parents on how to do percentages. Basic math! Infuriating! I worry for my senior citizen future.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelkat40
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:52 PM
3 moms liked this
I have been reading all of the posts here and cannot believe how angry and the comments that are made about about others by people.

I am considering homeschooling my youngest, who is five years old. I have two undergraduate degrees, one in Biology and one in Psychology. I am working on my Masters in both areas. I have done alot of research including attending a seminar on homeschooling in my state. Our state has requirements like sending notice to the school district, you can teach your child, you can have a person with a certificate and degree in education teach them or join a school that has a co-op type program. I have two older children who have gone thru the public school system, the first at 20 still has not graduated and she was not attending classes and the school didn't call us.
The other one can't tell me about the history of our nation or about why we vote for a President.
The two oldest are my step kids and I love them both but have been told that I no business regarding their education by their mother. I want to be able to make sure that my little has a chance.

I want to let you know that I used to work at a university in the
Department of Education and know a large number of teachers. There are wonderful teachers out there and there are teachers who are not as wonderful. I talked to a number of them about homeschooling and a number of them told me to go for it because the politics of the education system. Teachers want to do what they are taught but they are being told by people who are not educators how they should do their jobs.

I and others are doing what we can to educate our children and have them be well rounded vs just being taught to pass a test.
NDADanceMom
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Sometimes I look at it a little like teaching your kids to cook.  Some moms dont know how to cook IMO.  Hamburger helper and frozen dinners are not cooking to me.  To some moms food is food, and if you make it "edible" in your kitchen you cooked it.  They say, "If you can read directions, and your kids arent starving you are doing just fine."  I personally feel its sub standard to teach your kids this is cooking but honestly for some moms they really dont know any better. 

Some homes school moms feel they can read directions and the kids learn something they are doing just fine.  Its not always an education I would want for my kids but the moms really have no idea they arent meeting standard. 

carolkey74
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:53 PM
5 moms liked this

Isn't free speech an amazing thing? 

I homeschool my children, and we love it!  I was the world's biggest public  school supporter, and I still believe that it's a viable option, but we decided as a family to come home.  Now, instead of a standardized curriculum, we can focus on the kids' interests.  We still do the basic subjects, but we have time to add in "fun" stuff.  For instance, my 13 year old daughter is in 10th grade, and she is teaching herself Latin.  Not only is it great that she wants to learn the language, but by teaching herself, she is further developing her critical thinking skills.   Yesterday, she ran into the house, yelling for me to get a clean microscope slide.  She had scratched her finger, and she wanted to see her blood under the microscope.  She is also a budding artist, and she takes private art lessons.  She is considering a career as an occupational therapist, since she could use her love of art to aid in therapy.  Since she will graduate at 16, she will be too young to go away to college, so she will finish her associate's degree in OT at a nearby community college. By then, she feels that she will be ready to move off to finish her bachelor's.  We have a wonderful rehab center in our community, and she is planning to shadow some of the OT's who work there, to get a feel for the profession.  She is also very active in our church youth group, that numbers about 75.

My 11 year old son is in the 7th grade, and loves to build with Lego's and K'Nex (what 11 year old boy doesn't, right?) Because of this, he participates in a Lego robotics club that's sponsored by our local 4H. He has Asperger's and ADHD, so the constant movement and noise of the public school classroom proved to be too intensive for him.  Now he is in control of his environment, and he chooses when he is ready to socialize.  He has made tremendous progress in the two years we've been home. He has made a great group of friends, and most of them don't even know about his diagnosis. His favorite subject is math, and he uses Saxon curriculum which includes lessons on CD ROM.  Because he has difficulty sitting still for extended periods of time, we do school all over.  Sometimes we go outside and recite spelling words on the tire swing, or do science experiments in the driveway.  Both kids usually finish school work in 3-4 hours. They finished last year's grade levels in 7 months.

My husband and I are both college educated, and he is very active and supportive of our homeschool, as well.  We often joke that he's the principal!

I wanted to respond to this post to give a peek into our daily lives as homeschoolers, and to to voice my support for all of the mamas out there. No matter how we choose to educate our children, we want what's best for them.  We've found our niche, just as I hope you all have.  The best thing we can do is give each other a virtual pat on the back, and try to avoid the stereotypes that are rampant on both sides of this issue.

Mom of Laura-my 13 going on 30 angel, and 11 year old Nathan, the happiest kid in the world who happens to have Asperger's.

dreamalong
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Different states have different guidelines for families who homeschool.  Some states require the children to be tested regularly.  Some states require the parents to be certified or use a certified program.

cats911
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Divide everything by 100 and then multiply by how many percentages you need, and there you are!!  The only way I can do percentages, LOL.

momofpreemieboy
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:59 PM

That is what I did for my Graduates. They went to Public Schools. Their teachers were for the most part really Intelligent people, but they had some horrible ones and I had to supplement them a lot in those classes. But for the most part I kept them learning new things over the summer as well.

Quoting TxCowGirl07:

Yes, the social skills and interaction with others their age is the main reason I didnt homeschool. I can supplement the academics at home.

Quoting momofpreemieboy:

Unfortunately we have schools with Graduates that can not spell, read, or do math. I have a stepson not raised by me. Who Graduated and he has trouble with some simple math and let's not get into percentages. He can not write legibly or write cursive much at all I was appalled. My girls can read write and spell most of the time. They also Graduated. I plan on Home schooling my DS who is almost 2. I'm worried about home schooling him only because of not having interaction with children his age. I've had testing done which is mandatory here. I excelled in all areas. Math all the way up to trigonometry, writing, language, social studies, ect. So the only thing stopping me is my worry about his socializing. I just wish the testing was mandatory in every state and province of the United States. That way all children get a good and proper education. I also wish all teachers never gave up on proper teaching. Sorry it was so long! And I do agree with you! Do not teach your children if you yourself can't do the math LOL

KristeenieB
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:59 PM
It is "spelled"

Spelt is a species of wheat.

Quoting Zacksmama82411:

lol im not the one whose going to be home schooling... plus im pretty sure its spelt, but im on my phone so it didn't auto correct it, so maybe we're both right?

Quoting Anonymous:

Not picking on you but it's "spelled" not "spelt".

Quoting Zacksmama82411:

hehe not picking on you but consider taking a few refresher course, you spelt "considering" as "consitering" :)

(promise its not picking on you!! i just wanted to help with OPs point :) )

Quoting MommaSchimmel:

I am consitering homeschooling my boys. That's still a few years away for us but I know my Math skills are not highly advanced and that would be something I would need to study or hire a tutor for once they got to a HS level.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 67 on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:02 PM
2 moms liked this

LOL. The point isn't to keep them "enraptured" over anything.

Here's a pdf file which concisely explains the results of the studies done by NHERI, a third party home school researcher.

The part about the parent's education level is right on the first page. As it turns out, the parent's education level significantly effects public school students, while having virtually no effect on home school students.

See, we have the opportunity to purchase curriculum that is right for our family's situation and learning styles. And there are literally thousands to choose from. My children's science curriculum was written by a Chemistry professor at the University of New Mexico. So while your husband's students are "in awe" my kids are learning things those kids clearly only dream about.

Quoting Natasha.Anna:

Show me those studies. My husband has 5 degrees from MIT and can keep children enraptured for hours over math and physics. Good luck finding someone without a high school diploma who can do that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Studies show that the level of education the homeschooling parent as ZERO bearing on how well they can educate their children.

bookmommy
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes it IS control. I don't want my child to grow up in the "hive mentality" that is being taught at the public schools. Our kids are being taught that no one "wins" and no one "loses" we're all just the same. Our spirit of competition is being driven out as well as wanting to suceed. Read any of John Gatto's books about education in America and what a golden apple award winner thinks of the school system and where it's heading. Sad.

Plus when you add in the bullying and drug use that is becoming common, public schools are lacking in the values I teach my family.

Don't like it? Fine. You don't have to homeschool YOUR children, but I want the government out of teaching mine.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it's a form of control. They don't WANT their children educated properly. They don't want them exposed to thoughts other than their own. Outside education opens the child up to making choices and having insight that is possibly different than the parents and they don't want that. It is threatening. Long ago men didn't want women to be able to read and write and be educated because then they would lose control over them. It's the same thing. And it shouldn't be allowed. One shouldn't be able to stifle a child's education and opportunity in order to control them. I'm well aware that there is less then ideal education available in some schools. But that is not an excuse. Find a school that IS a good one! I fully support making an ACTIVE choice about your child's education. But that doesn't require home schooling when you're not equipped for it. There are other options.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN