Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How the heck can you homeschool your kids when you can't write a coherent sentence yourself?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Aaargh! It annoys me to no end. Yes, as parents you should have a say in your child's education, but that does not mean that you should homeschool if you are barely educated yourself. I just wish there was some sort of accountability when it comes to homeschooling.

"We home school 'em. I teach the big ones, and the big ones teach the little ones, but nobody taught me, so the whole thing is an exercise in futility. " Cletus

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:15 AM
Replies (991-1000):
anniyahs_mom
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:40 AM
2 moms liked this

No it's just called common sense. I homeschool my daughter.  i graduated high school and attend college.  I do not have a degree though.  I KNOW I am  teaching my daughter more then the schools here in Georgia.  Also I suggest that we be more concerned about OUR children and less invested in the business of others.  So what if they can't teach, just means YOUR kid gets the advantage.  Just saying, let's stop hating on parents who homeschool.  It's not fair.  IT's like hating people who live in Florida or who like to eat cow tongue.  smile

sha_lyn68
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:47 AM

If by America you mean the United States of America, that is not true. There are no federal laws on homeschooling. Homeschooling falls under the state educational laws. In no states does a parent need to pass a test to homeschool their own children. In most states there is no set curriculum, and in many states there is no standardized testing.

Quoting momofpreemieboy:

I think you need to check again we do have to pass test to home school and we do have a set curriculum and our home schooled children to have to pass all the test our out of home children pass for the grade. So in America we do have rigorous testing time for home schoolers as well as public and private schools.

Quoting JadedFaerie:

What annoys me is the American homeschooling system. Here in *Australia you are given set criteria and a curriculum you have to go by. They also organise get togethers and social events for the homeschool children. They have to take set exams every term just like a normal in-school child.

momofpreemieboy
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:02 AM

Well I don't know where you got your info but I know in several states we have to pass tests in order to home school our children and in at least 30 states we have set curriculum's for said children. Also we have to have our children tested at the same time as the children in schools. I personally have not home schooled yet but did volunteer in my childrens' schools.BTW did you know that most states do not let you volunteer in your child's school. So sha-lynn we do have standards that we have to abide by.

sha_lyn68
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:04 AM

http://www.homeschool-by-design.com/homeschooling-statistics.html

The above article cites information from both the US department of Education's National Center for Educational Statistics and the National Home Education Research Institute (which while they could be considered a biased source, their data was collected from standardized testing services).

Quoting Natasha.Anna:

Show me those studies. My husband has 5 degrees from MIT and can keep children enraptured for hours over math and physics. Good luck finding someone without a high school diploma who can do that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Studies show that the level of education the homeschooling parent as ZERO bearing on how well they can educate their children.

sha_lyn68
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:07 AM

Name one state that requres homeschool parents to pass a test and include a link to the law that states such. I have been extremely active in the homeschool community for 11 years. I know for a fact that what you are claiming is not true.

Quoting momofpreemieboy:

Well I don't know where you got your info but I know in several states we have to pass tests in order to home school our children and in at least 30 states we have set curriculum's for said children. Also we have to have our children tested at the same time as the children in schools. I personally have not home schooled yet but did volunteer in my childrens' schools.BTW did you know that most states do not let you volunteer in your child's school. So sha-lynn we do have standards that we have to abide by.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 95 on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:07 AM
Not picking on you but if you use "a few" a plural should follow, as in "courses."

Quoting Zacksmama82411:

hehe not picking on you but consider taking a few refresher course, you spelt "considering" as "consitering" :)

(promise its not picking on you!! i just wanted to help with OPs point :) )

Quoting MommaSchimmel:

I am consitering homeschooling my boys. That's still a few years away for us but I know my Math skills are not highly advanced and that would be something I would need to study or hire a tutor for once they got to a HS level.

momofpreemieboy
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:10 AM

Yes we do in most states we have to take test and pass them so we can home school and I never saw a state that didn't make home schooled children and parents follow a curriculum. so please look it up Oregon has such rules as does Arizona. Massachuttes does also. A few others also do but can not remember which at the moment. So please look it up again! I know that America has a bad rap when it comes to education and rightfully too. Just remember some of us are trying to clean up the school system here.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

If by America you mean the United States of America, that is not true. There are no federal laws on homeschooling. Homeschooling falls under the state educational laws. In no states does a parent need to pass a test to homeschool their own children. In most states there is no set curriculum, and in many states there is no standardized testing.

Quoting momofpreemieboy:

I think you need to check again we do have to pass test to home school and we do have a set curriculum and our home schooled children to have to pass all the test our out of home children pass for the grade. So in America we do have rigorous testing time for home schoolers as well as public and private schools.

Quoting JadedFaerie:

What annoys me is the American homeschooling system. Here in *Australia you are given set criteria and a curriculum you have to go by. They also organise get togethers and social events for the homeschool children. They have to take set exams every term just like a normal in-school child.

sha_lyn68
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:13 AM
2 moms liked this

Actually, most homeschool families utilize co-ops, tutors, supplemental classes and/or many other resources that provide teaching.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Unless you belong to a virtual public school (which is not "homeschooling"), yes, it is up to just the parent to teach.

Quoting crossedblue08:

Homeschool comes with a teacher. Its not just up to the parent to teach. Wow facepalm

sterling21
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:19 AM
2 moms liked this
Just because you have a teacher's degree does not make you smart enough to teach. The most important tool for teaching, is to be a good teacher. A teacher is someone who can inspire research, a teacher is someone who can spark the imagination, a teacher is someone who is enthusiastic about teaching and who can aspire thier students to grasp for nothing but excellence. Some parents are amazing teachers, some school instructers are amazing teachers...but some parents are terrible teachers and some instructers are terrible teachers. To define the intelligence of a person by how many degrees they have or thier grasp of calculus is short sighted and ignorant. A math teacher might have terrible grammar, or struggle to get through Shakespeare, does that mean he is dumb? Or does he simple excel at the subject of math and finds English and History boring. If a parent wants to teach thier children at home instead of at school, the only requirements should be that they put forth an amazing effort to be sure thier children are prepared for college, careers or whatever the children want to do. I have seen homeschooled moms unconcerned about the status of thier children's education, but I also see public school moms unconcerned about thier children's education, if a parent is not vested in thier kids education neither homeschooling or public school will help them to learn.
sha_lyn68
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:22 AM

Once again, what you are claiming is untrue.

Oregon homeschool laws: http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Oregon.pdf

Arizona homeschool laws: http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Arizona.pdf AZ is one of the easiest states to homeschool in.

Massachuttes homeschool laws: http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Massachusetts.pdf MA is one of the states with the most restrictive laws and as you can see, even MA's laws come no where near the level of requirements that you have described.

Quoting momofpreemieboy:

Yes we do in most states we have to take test and pass them so we can home school and I never saw a state that didn't make home schooled children and parents follow a curriculum. so please look it up Oregon has such rules as does Arizona. Massachuttes does also. A few others also do but can not remember which at the moment. So please look it up again! I know that America has a bad rap when it comes to education and rightfully too. Just remember some of us are trying to clean up the school system here.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting momofpreemieboy:

Quoting JadedFaerie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN