Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How the heck can you homeschool your kids when you can't write a coherent sentence yourself?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Aaargh! It annoys me to no end. Yes, as parents you should have a say in your child's education, but that does not mean that you should homeschool if you are barely educated yourself. I just wish there was some sort of accountability when it comes to homeschooling.

"We home school 'em. I teach the big ones, and the big ones teach the little ones, but nobody taught me, so the whole thing is an exercise in futility. " Cletus

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:15 AM
Replies (11-20):
Sunnysdmom
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:47 AM
3 moms liked this
Really? I assume you shop. If you buy a $100 item and you get 30% off, how much would you pay? :)
MamaK313
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:49 AM
29 moms liked this
While I do agree with your post I also know some public school teachers with 4-6 years of college that are total idiots. I've had fellow co-workers who could not tell time on an analog clock to save them and several who could not spell first-grade spelling words.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofpreemieboy
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:59 AM
7 moms liked this

Unfortunately we have schools with Graduates that can not spell, read, or do math. I have a stepson not raised by me. Who Graduated and he has trouble with some simple math and let's not get into percentages. He can not write legibly or write cursive much at all I was appalled. My girls can read write and spell most of the time. They also Graduated. I plan on Home schooling my DS who is almost 2. I'm worried about home schooling him only because of not having interaction with children his age. I've had testing done which is mandatory here. I excelled in all areas. Math all the way up to trigonometry, writing, language, social studies, ect. So the only thing stopping me is my worry about his socializing. I just wish the testing was mandatory in every state and province of the United States. That way all children get a good and proper education. I also wish all teachers never gave up on proper teaching. Sorry it was so long! And I do agree with you! Do not teach your children if you yourself can't do the math LOL

Megankae
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:05 AM
3 moms liked this
That's a good idea. I have been a little freaked out by some people who home school.

It's great they want to teach their kids, but not all people should. You know? Here in Germany it is illegal to home school. Their reasoning behind it is that one person can not be an expert in all subjects. Especially if they did not go to school to be a teacher.
Plus German schools are awesome, there isn't really a need to home school.

Quoting Djinn83:

In florida you have to pass a test to get permission to homeschool.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JadedFaerie
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:06 AM
6 moms liked this

What annoys me is the American homeschooling system. Here in *Australia you are given set criteria and a curriculum you have to go by. They also organise get togethers and social events for the homeschool children. They have to take set exams every term just like a normal in-school child.

Megankae
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:13 AM
I believe you can sign up for home schooling groups to help socialize.

I like the idea of home schooling, but I am no where near as educated as I feel I should be to teach my son. I can do much math (mostly my fault not the schools ;) and I am a horrible speller.
I do plan on trying to stay home for as long as possible (like my mom did) to help him after school. And maybe doing extra learning exercises.

Anyway, there should be home schooling "support" groups in your area that have kids your sons age. Look into it! If you feel secure in your education to teach him, go for it! :)

Quoting momofpreemieboy:

Unfortunately we have schools with Graduates that can not spell, read, or do math. I have a stepson not raised by me. Who Graduated and he has trouble with some simple math and let's not get into percentages. He can not write legibly or write cursive much at all I was appalled. My girls can read write and spell most of the time. They also Graduated. I plan on Home schooling my DS who is almost 2. I'm worried about home schooling him only because of not having interaction with children his age. I've had testing done which is mandatory here. I excelled in all areas. Math all the way up to trigonometry, writing, language, social studies, ect. So the only thing stopping me is my worry about his socializing. I just wish the testing was mandatory in every state and province of the United States. That way all children get a good and proper education. I also wish all teachers never gave up on proper teaching. Sorry it was so long! And I do agree with you! Do not teach your children if you yourself can't do the math LOL

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofpreemieboy
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:26 AM

Thank you for your support on home schooling does your city town have testing to see if you are educated enough to home school. also I have a really high IQ ( what a curse because everyone expects you to know everything) Trust me I don't. LOL  Will check into home schooling groups for my son. thank you for information

Quoting Megankae:

I believe you can sign up for home schooling groups to help socialize.

I like the idea of home schooling, but I am no where near as educated as I feel I should be to teach my son. I can do much math (mostly my fault not the schools ;) and I am a horrible speller.
I do plan on trying to stay home for as long as possible (like my mom did) to help him after school. And maybe doing extra learning exercises.

Anyway, there should be home schooling "support" groups in your area that have kids your sons age. Look into it! If you feel secure in your education to teach him, go for it! :)

Quoting momofpreemieboy:

Djinn83
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Megankae:

That's weird. In Florida, I know that anybody with a teaching degree can teach any subject all the way through high school. A science teacher does not have a specialized teaching degree. However, when I went to college, I had an option to get a BS in chemistry, or a BS in chemistry with a teaching certificate.

I don't homeschool because I have a 7 year old, a 2 year old, and a 9 month old. I have a hard enough time getting the house calm enough for ODS to do his homework, and sometimes when I help him, I have one screaming to be picked up while another is screaming on my hip. I feel so bad for ODS.

And I also believe school is imperative for social growth. I don't think after school activities is enough.

On the weekends I teach him things he enjoys. He loves geography and world cultures. Check out enchantedlearning.com. They have all kinds of stuff door 3 years through middle school.

Tired of bitch groups, but still love drama and snark? Join us on Exile Island. A fun place full of colorful people.

MomTiara19
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi,yes I have always wondered about that and how the whole homeschooling thing worked.Overall I have always thought homeshooling was a great alternative in education.I would have loved to have tried it with my kids.

~Tia

Zacksmama82411
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:10 AM
15 moms liked this
hehe not picking on you but consider taking a few refresher course, you spelt "considering" as "consitering" :)
(promise its not picking on you!! i just wanted to help with OPs point :) )

Quoting MommaSchimmel:

I am consitering homeschooling my boys. That's still a few years away for us but I know my Math skills are not highly advanced and that would be something I would need to study or hire a tutor for once they got to a HS level.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN