Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How the heck can you homeschool your kids when you can't write a coherent sentence yourself?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Aaargh! It annoys me to no end. Yes, as parents you should have a say in your child's education, but that does not mean that you should homeschool if you are barely educated yourself. I just wish there was some sort of accountability when it comes to homeschooling.

"We home school 'em. I teach the big ones, and the big ones teach the little ones, but nobody taught me, so the whole thing is an exercise in futility. " Cletus

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:15 AM
Replies (121-130):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:10 AM
7 moms liked this

Well, isn't that what some are doing with homeschoolers?

Quoting tecsabates:

And to everyone that keeps bashing teachers - way to be ignorant asses and make general assumptions about a whole group based on a few you've experienced.  I have several friends who are teachers, and they are great at their jobs. They love teaching, and they love the kids they teach.My yds teacher is incredible - a wonderful woman.  Not all public schools are that bad either.  My sons school district is amazing. Both of my boys have ADHD nd big behavior probs/ The school has been so amazingly supportive, even helping us find outside resources to help.  The school I went to as a kid, tho, sucked ass and still does.   So yeah some suck, but don't judge them all....

Sweet_Britt
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I totally agree in religious circumstances. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it's a form of control. They don't WANT their children educated properly. They don't want them exposed to thoughts other than their own. Outside education opens the child up to making choices and having insight that is possibly different than the parents and they don't want that. It is threatening. Long ago men didn't want women to be able to read and write and be educated because then they would lose control over them. It's the same thing. And it shouldn't be allowed. One shouldn't be able to stifle a child's education and opportunity in order to control them. I'm well aware that there is less then ideal education available in some schools. But that is not an excuse. Find a school that IS a good one! I fully support making an ACTIVE choice about your child's education. But that doesn't require home schooling when you're not equipped for it. There are other options.

MommaSchimmel
by Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks, I just might do that. Nice of so many of you to nitpick. I know I am far from perfect and do need to take some classes if I was to homeschool my boys but at least I know I have faults unlike some of you who seem to think you are perfect. I do not have a issue with public school and the only reason I would even think about homeschool is so my boys would have a constant set of curriculum while we move every 3-4 years with my husbands Naval career.

Quoting So_Devious20:

*consider an English course too...

Quoting MommaSchimmel:

I am consitering homeschooling my boys. That's still a few years away for us but I know my Math skills are not highly advanced and that would be something I would need to study or hire a tutor for once they got to a HS level.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:11 AM
2 moms liked this

It's a good thing then, what you think doesn't matter.

Quoting Aamy:

If parents want to home school I think they need a degree and training like teachers do.

lowencope
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:11 AM
There are online school alternatives for parents who want their kids at home but help out with teaching and curriculum. I would never have the patience for homeschooling but I do have a degree and I've passed my elementary Ed teacher test to teach up to 6 th grade. Beyond that I would say I'm not qualified. Even with my credentials I could only teach on a probationary certificate. So I would say I need some additional training and lots of help. Anyway.... No patience and I like my job so it's a no go. I agree with this post though. Moms should really think long and hard before doing this.
chalisa0
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I could not agree more.  My sister decided to homeschool her daughter (not the boys for some reason) and yet she dropped out of high school in the 9th grade!  One of the dumbest people I know.  The one who suffered is my poor niece.

tecsabates
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, but if you'll notice I wasn't one of them...I don't really care how someone else decides to educate their kids. If you are smart, patient and brave enough to homeschool, - hey good for you.  Also if you look back, somebody already said the same thing (don't judge the whole group) about homeschoolers - I didn' think it needed repeating.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting tecsabates:

And to everyone that keeps bashing teachers - way to be ignorant asses and make general assumptions about a whole group based on a few you've experienced.  I have several friends who are teachers, and they are great at their jobs. They love teaching, and they love the kids they teach.My yds teacher is incredible - a wonderful woman.  Not all public schools are that bad either.  My sons school district is amazing. Both of my boys have ADHD nd big behavior probs/ The school has been so amazingly supportive, even helping us find outside resources to help.  The school I went to as a kid, tho, sucked ass and still does.   So yeah some suck, but don't judge them all....

Chris030406
by anonsneednotreply on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I am a product of a public education. My children attend a public school.

I hold my degrees in Psychology and Fine Arts. DH, who graduated from a private school, holds his in Criminal Justice. Guess who completed a graduate degree and who didn't? If you guess me, you're correct! Guess who cringes when asked to help either of our 2nd graders with their homework? If you guessed my husband, you're correct!

Education is only as good as the work you put into it. If you simply send your child to school and not help them, it doesn't matter where you send them. Private education does not guarantee success.

Quoting Anonymous:

I cringe when I see public school parents type on here. I wonder how they hell they can help their children with homework.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:16 AM
Yup! But they don't see it that way...

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting tecsabates:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:16 AM
I don't think all homeschooling is bad either. However it seems every Jane out there thinks they can/should do it when they really can't/shouldn't.

We move a lot....my oldest is in 5th grade and this is her 5th school in 4 states. Because we don't get a choice in where we are sent, I feel its our duty to research the schools and base where we live in an area on giving our children the best education possible...which for our family is public/private school. I don't have it on me to be a SAHM or to homeschool.

Quoting Anonymous:

true. but now what would happen if all parents looked for the best school....obviously it would either get over crowded or  kids would still end up in crappy schools. but there are more reasons then education to consider with homeschooling. for me its also safety. iv seen things on the news and in the paper about even a 5yo bringing a gun to school and it went off in his bag and shot a little girl. i cant tell you unless someone decides to come rob us in broad daylight with all our security cams in plain veiw my kids have a much much much less chance of being bullied, stabbed, shot, or any of the other countless things that go on in schools. EVERY school has a bully. these are life lessons i dont feel my children should have to endure. there are safer ways to teach kids to deal with bulling (which can happen even in the work place so i know it is needed that they learn the skills). my kids take mixed martial arts, and a tumble class. we act out situations that may come up even among their friends. they are very independent and out going. we went to the zoo this past week and their was a school visiting and my kids had no issue going to the other kids and talking with them. plus i don't need the stress of trying to get my kid into the best school, paying for uniforms, paying for all the stuff on the list, field trips, what is my child actually learning, ect. 

i agree there are home school parents out there that really should not be. BUT that doesn't mean its bad. that's like saying because one African America guy robed a bank ALL aa are horrible thugs.....yea not so much right? just like in a school parents can either be involved and their children succeed or they can just leave it to the child..like my bil who just droped out a few months before graduation because he refuses to do any work and his dad refuses to enforce anything...instead he gives him a car-_- i would have put my foot down and had a meeting with his teachers. NO child should fail. there is NO good reason that should ever happen. if they are home schooled it is the parent/tutors responsibility to help that child achieve all their goals, same for regular schooling.

Quoting Anonymous:

It does if you actually get involved in your child's education. Research school districts. We are moving because this school district sucks. They are in private school this year because of it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes because public school does such a great job.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)