Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How the heck can you homeschool your kids when you can't write a coherent sentence yourself?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Aaargh! It annoys me to no end. Yes, as parents you should have a say in your child's education, but that does not mean that you should homeschool if you are barely educated yourself. I just wish there was some sort of accountability when it comes to homeschooling.

"We home school 'em. I teach the big ones, and the big ones teach the little ones, but nobody taught me, so the whole thing is an exercise in futility. " Cletus

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:15 AM
Replies (141-150):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 22 on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:29 AM
Because where I live you pay to send your child to homeschooling ( a school for home schoolers) are you can use abekka stream it on the internet,use the DVDs or we do k12 at home with the public school system, either way there learning
chalisa0
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

No, this is simply MY personal experience.  I disagree with homeschooling in most circumstances-certainly not just because of my moronic sister.  I see homeschooling as a way for parents to isolate their children.  That is the main reason.  Then, I see so many uneducated parents (esp on here) that couldn't teach their way out of the garage, yet they somehow believe they are capable of teaching their kids geometry and calculus. biology and chemistry.  Hah!  I don't think so.  The kids are the ones who suffer-in many ways.  The end up with completely unrealistic views of the world-they only learn what the parents deem necessary for their kids.  Here's another example:  when my dd was a freshman in high school, a girl who was previously only homeschooled but then went to high school became her friend.  We were all taking about Quakers and she never heard of them.  We were explaining that it was a type of religion (and so forth) and come to realize that by age 14! this girl had no concept of ANY religion (or even other Christian denominations) outside of her own Catholicism.  I still shake my head.  I can't imagine what else she missed out on.  And that is the problem with isolating kids.

Quoting LucyMom08:

So that one experience makes all homeschooling bad?

Quoting chalisa0:

I could not agree more.  My sister decided to homeschool her daughter (not the boys for some reason) and yet she dropped out of high school in the 9th grade!  One of the dumbest people I know.  The one who suffered is my poor niece.

NewJoyOn1308
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Hahaha! Great question! Public school is so piss poor in their eyes, but it can't be any worse than their spelling and grammatical errors.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:30 AM

spelt

1 [spelt]
verb
a simple past tense and past participle of spell1 .
Quoting Christine0813:

sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting Anonymous:

*spelled, not spelt.

Quoting Zacksmama82411:

hehe not picking on you but consider taking a few refresher course, you spelt "considering" as "consitering" :)
(promise its not picking on you!! i just wanted to help with OPs point :) )

Quoting MommaSchimmel:

I am consitering homeschooling my boys. That's still a few years away for us but I know my Math skills are not highly advanced and that would be something I would need to study or hire a tutor for once they got to a HS level.

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Minor spelling and grammatical errors will get me further in life that an indoctrinated attitude...

Quoting NewJoyOn1308:

Hahaha! Great question! Public school is so piss poor in their eyes, but it can't be any worse than their spelling and grammatical errors.

NewJoyOn1308
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:34 AM
More power to you!

Quoting LucyMom08:

Minor spelling and grammatical errors will get me further in life that an indoctrinated attitude...

Quoting NewJoyOn1308:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:35 AM

That is still not a full view of homeschooling...I, myself, am a secular person...Many many many types of different people homeschool. It is not just zealots or socially isolated people.

Quoting chalisa0:

No, this is simply MY personal experience.  I disagree with homeschooling in most circumstances-certainly not just because of my moronic sister.  I see homeschooling as a way for parents to isolate their children.  That is the main reason.  Then, I see so many uneducated parents (esp on here) that couldn't teach their way out of the garage, yet they somehow believe they are capable of teaching their kids geometry and calculus. biology and chemistry.  Hah!  I don't think so.  The kids are the ones who suffer-in many ways.  The end up with completely unrealistic views of the world-they only learn what the parents deem necessary for their kids.  Here's another example:  when my dd was a freshman in high school, a girl who was previously only homeschooled but then went to high school became her friend.  We were all taking about Quakers and she never heard of them.  We were explaining that it was a type of religion (and so forth) and come to realize that by age 14! this girl had no concept of ANY religion (or even other Christian denominations) outside of her own Catholicism.  I still shake my head.  I can't imagine what else she missed out on.  And that is the problem with isolating kids.

Quoting LucyMom08:

So that one experience makes all homeschooling bad?

Quoting chalisa0:

I could not agree more.  My sister decided to homeschool her daughter (not the boys for some reason) and yet she dropped out of high school in the 9th grade!  One of the dumbest people I know.  The one who suffered is my poor niece.

Tea4Tas
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Quoting Coca.Cola:

There is accountability in homeschooling. Each state has their own laws and testing practices. Most people do not understand this though. Plus my grammar on Facebook and Cafemom is not something I analyze.  I go on these sites to relax.

Grammar isn't something that has to be analyzed. It is a reflection of your education. Now spelling isn't always a reflection of that, but IME grammar is.

Most people who know how to use words correctly do it automatically. with no need for thought.

They don't confuse two too to, then and than ,your and you're, site and sight, their and there etc etc...

If you are educated, and literate, you don't have to think before saying  My daughter and I went..it is as natural as breathing.  I did well on my test comes just as naturally, and you would never dream of saying I seen....or me and my son went...you might not even remember the rules of WHY it is done, but you remember to do it.

Namaste17
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Lol I don't get it either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Hmmmm, no comments? LOL.

Quoting Anonymous:

Nope.

It just proves that they paid for that degree. I wonder if it just pisses them off because they realize homeschoolers can do the same job as them, and didn't have to pay for that paper.

Quoting LucyMom08:

A piece of paper doesn't "prove" how smart you are. My grandfather was an orphan in the great depression, and never went past 4th grade in school. One of the smartest men I ever met. He worked as an accountant AND tutor in his life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)