Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How the heck can you homeschool your kids when you can't write a coherent sentence yourself?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Aaargh! It annoys me to no end. Yes, as parents you should have a say in your child's education, but that does not mean that you should homeschool if you are barely educated yourself. I just wish there was some sort of accountability when it comes to homeschooling.

"We home school 'em. I teach the big ones, and the big ones teach the little ones, but nobody taught me, so the whole thing is an exercise in futility. " Cletus

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:15 AM
Replies (491-500):
emmettsmom
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:23 PM
I agree. If you homeschool you should have a degree in teaching!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 50 on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:23 PM
:). I homeschool, and it seems the worse your spelling, capitalization, grammar, etc are, the more apt you are to want to "represent homeschoolers" and brag about scores and achievements that your children are not actually contributing to. I agree, it's weird, but a lot of those families are successful business people, who rake in cash with a well chosen trade.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:24 PM
2 moms liked this

These are the words spoken from someone who truly doesn't know a thing about homeschool. Try researching.

Quoting aprilrain4:

I think that those who homeschool their children take away social skills, activity skills, making friends, and more.

justme00
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:24 PM
2 moms liked this

hey heres something to think about. To all you moms who say you cant do math or you cant write, its clear the schools failed YOU. So yep its a great idea to send your kids to the same place that failed you. LOL

tambrathegreat
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I had an algebra teacher in college who demystified it for me.  She said the part divided by the whole  equals percentage.  (x/x+y= %)  I'm horrible at math but can now do percentages with a great deal of proficiency.

Quoting writingafwife:

Quoting Sunnysdmom:

Agreed! I have a college degree and I get math questions from homeschooling parents on how to do percentages. Basic math! Infuriating! I worry for my senior citizen future.

I aced college calculus and I still have a hard time with percentages because I was never taught them in school. Dh thinks its funny it's the only math thing he can do better than me and "it's so simple how can you not get it" some things just don't click for some people

Anonymous
by Anonymous 49 on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I totally agree. And I did the same thing. My kids are more involed in social activity without the peer pressure in the group I started for them that grew to 268 members! 

Also over the years my kids have had more hands on activities and more awesome fields trips through out the year than they EVER did in public school. Plus when I pulled my kids out finally of school the next year on their exams ( yes they have to take exams according to the state) they surpassed their public school peers by 3 grade levels!!! They finally got the one on one teaching they needed instead of being treated like cattle.

Quoting EmmaLeeMaLa:

These kind of comments always make me giggle, only because I went to public school my entire life and even kids in public school dont learn these things lol ;)  I used to feel the same way until I did homeschool myself and started my own group where we meet up and hang with not only other parents but their children as well. Its a personal choice, and with 1 Autistic son some mom's have to do what is best for their children and not ever will all moms agree on this subject.

Quoting aprilrain4:

I think that those who homeschool their children take away social skills, activity skills, making friends, and more.

suziejax
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:26 PM

big smile mini an awesome awesome point!

Quoting justme00:

hey heres something to think about. To all you moms who say you cant do math or you cant write, its clear the schools failed YOU. So yep its a great idea to send your kids to the same place that failed you. LOL

snune1mi
2 moms liked this

Wow, ignorance. I was homeschooled, mostly unschooled actually, get a 1350 on my SATs and was top of my class in college. The majority of what you learn in middle school and high school you honestly do not need. I am proof. I am now in medical school and find that I know how to study better than my peers. It's all about how motivated you are and the development of study skills. 

Char07
3 moms liked this
While I agree it's sad to see parents who are not very educated themselves teaching their children, their ability to teach will be more than just their previous education. I think more importantly is their ability to teach their children how to learn and find answers for themselves. I don't remember much from chemistry because it wasn't particularly interesting to me although when the time comes I do not doubt my ability to relearn alongside my children and guide them in learning for themselves. For many a big part of homeschooling is fostering a love of continuous learning that many children lose in public school systems. If you help them love to learn and teach them how to do it it won't matter if you know everything or very little because they will have the tools and guidance to do it on their own.
ChristianHerbal
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Be tolerant. You have to understand that those parents were products of the "Public" schools.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN