Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How the heck can you homeschool your kids when you can't write a coherent sentence yourself?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Aaargh! It annoys me to no end. Yes, as parents you should have a say in your child's education, but that does not mean that you should homeschool if you are barely educated yourself. I just wish there was some sort of accountability when it comes to homeschooling.

"We home school 'em. I teach the big ones, and the big ones teach the little ones, but nobody taught me, so the whole thing is an exercise in futility. " Cletus

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:15 AM
Replies (851-860):
melliemommy
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:19 PM

BUMP!

momofpreemieboy

Not trying to bash my bottom number one I capitalized on purpose DUMMY and I did excel in all area's. Also Purto Rico is a province of the United States. DUH

Quoting momtolittleg:

Quoting momofpreemieboy:

Unfortunately we have schools with Graduates that can not spell, read, or do math. I have a stepson not raised by me. Who Graduated and he has trouble with some simple math and let's not get into percentages. He can not write legibly or write cursive much at all I was appalled. My girls can read write and spell most of the time. They also Graduated. I plan on Home schooling my DS who is almost 2. I'm worried about home schooling him only because of not having interaction with children his age. I've had testing done which is mandatory here. I excelled in all areas. Math all the way up to trigonometry, writing, language, social studies, ect. So the only thing stopping me is my worry about his socializing. I just wish the testing was mandatory in every state and province of the United States. That way all children get a good and proper education. I also wish all teachers never gave up on proper teaching. Sorry it was so long! And I do agree with you! Do not teach your children if you yourself can't do the math LOL

You excelled in ALL areas?  How about capitalization? Graduated and graduates are NOT proper nouns.  Homeschooling is not a proper noun.  There are no provinces in the US (that's Canada).  You also have several incomplete and run-on sentences in that paragraph.  You  may be great at math, but your writing needs help.  I'm not trying to bash, just pointing out what the original poster was saying.  Many people are not trained to teach and do not have the mastery of all subjects that it takes to make sure children are properly educated.  Please send your child to a public or private school.

Ginnymarie33
Are you serious? How dare you?? You don't even have the guts to use your name. You are a pig!
momofpreemieboy
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:23 PM

And again did it on purpose. Dummy! I know proper spelling and proper punctuation. DUH

Quoting momtolittleg:

Quoting momofpreemieboy:

That is what I did for my Graduates. They went to Public Schools. Their teachers were for the most part really Intelligent people, but they had some horrible ones and I had to supplement them a lot in those classes. But for the most part I kept them learning new things over the summer as well.

Quoting TxCowGirl07:

Yes, the social skills and interaction with others their age is the main reason I didnt homeschool. I can supplement the academics at home.

Quoting momofpreemieboy:

Unfortunately we have schools with Graduates that can not spell, read, or do math. I have a stepson not raised by me. Who Graduated and he has trouble with some simple math and let's not get into percentages. He can not write legibly or write cursive much at all I was appalled. My girls can read write and spell most of the time. They also Graduated. I plan on Home schooling my DS who is almost 2. I'm worried about home schooling him only because of not having interaction with children his age. I've had testing done which is mandatory here. I excelled in all areas. Math all the way up to trigonometry, writing, language, social studies, ect. So the only thing stopping me is my worry about his socializing. I just wish the testing was mandatory in every state and province of the United States. That way all children get a good and proper education. I also wish all teachers never gave up on proper teaching. Sorry it was so long! And I do agree with you! Do not teach your children if you yourself can't do the math LOL

Again, please look into proper nouns and capitalization.

katarina666
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Their are pleanty of academic schools on line for homeschooling children.No one has to go it alone these days.

littlepinkrose
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I agree seems like the higher and better in math you get then all of a sudden the easy stuff seems hard.  Like you just do not remember!  LoL

Quoting writingafwife:

Quoting Sunnysdmom:

Agreed! I have a college degree and I get math questions from homeschooling parents on how to do percentages. Basic math! Infuriating! I worry for my senior citizen future.

I aced college calculus and I still have a hard time with percentages because I was never taught them in school. Dh thinks its funny it's the only math thing he can do better than me and "it's so simple how can you not get it" some things just don't click for some people

momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Quoting momofpreemieboy:

And again did it on purpose. Dummy! I know proper spelling and proper punctuation. DUH

Quoting momtolittleg:

Quoting momofpreemieboy:

That is what I did for my Graduates. They went to Public Schools. Their teachers were for the most part really Intelligent people, but they had some horrible ones and I had to supplement them a lot in those classes. But for the most part I kept them learning new things over the summer as well.

Quoting TxCowGirl07:

Yes, the social skills and interaction with others their age is the main reason I didnt homeschool. I can supplement the academics at home.

Quoting momofpreemieboy:

Riiiiiiiiiight.

HMLmom2
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:25 PM

You are all so hard on one another about grammar, punctuation, etc.....this is a website for discussions, no one here is writing their college thesis. Oh wait, are they? Don't grade me! LOL!

momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Quoting momofpreemieboy:

Quoting momtolittleg:

Quoting momofpreemieboy:

Quoting TxCowGirl07:

Quoting momofpreemieboy:

So, you misspell words on your profile, too, just for kicks??

stepdiva
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:27 PM
So do I. It's scary!

Quoting dmarie2101:

lol

i cringe when i see some people on here say they homeschool.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)