Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How the heck can you homeschool your kids when you can't write a coherent sentence yourself?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Aaargh! It annoys me to no end. Yes, as parents you should have a say in your child's education, but that does not mean that you should homeschool if you are barely educated yourself. I just wish there was some sort of accountability when it comes to homeschooling.

"We home school 'em. I teach the big ones, and the big ones teach the little ones, but nobody taught me, so the whole thing is an exercise in futility. " Cletus

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:15 AM
Replies (971-980):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 84 on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Quoting TigerofMu:

Oh I love Tim Hawkins!  He cracks me up :).

Quoting Anonymo

us:

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sorry but even though homeschooled children may appear to be so very smart & can carry on good conversations with adults, they are freaks.  They just are.  They don't fit in with regular society and they dress funny and even look funny.  They are weird.  And so many of them get married at age 17 and like the freakin Duggar women they become submissive and then start having a bunch of kids.  What a waste of a smart person's brain!  It's pointless.  Why would you want to raise a kid who will forever be an outsider?  Oh I guess because YOU are an outsider. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 93 on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Absolutely ATROCIOUS spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Believe me, you are NOT a "much better teacher" than your public school teachers. I feel so sad for your child.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well i do have a disability and my state does not require a test.My dd was being bullied vary bad and i did concieder it. Also like i said my dh is vary smart so it would not matter he would pass the test but their would be times hes was not around that id have to help and id do what it takes to help my dd.Like i said their is online teachers that you can turn to.Believe me when i say i am a much better teacher than our public school has.And i do not have the option to choose a school.The only reason was my health that we choose we could not do homeschool.So we had to take other actions to deal with her being bullied....my dd makes As btw and its not just the school and teachers iv helped her and so has my dh.

Quoting new2this09:

A lot of folks with or without learning disabilities aren't qualified for lots of jobs. It's based on how well they do on entrance exams, exit exams, etc. for their particular career field. Even teachers have to take the PRAXIS, or an equivalent type test in most states (if not all??). I see nothing wrong with requiring a parent to pass a similar test prior to authorizing him/her to homeschool a child.

You wouldn't just practice medicine on your child instead of taking the kid to the doctor, right? I mean, doctors are qualified to practice medicine. Not just anyone is qualified to teach.

Additionally, I believe state test scores for home-schooled kids, count for the school district as well--so a school district would be wise to require a parent to undergo some sort of training, or to at least take a test, prior to being authorized to home-school...

Quoting Anonymous:

So because i have a Learning Disability that means i cant teach my kids @ home? First off they have teachers online for any help you need.In fact you get a computer for free when you sign up & i do have a DH that is vary smart ,but id still teach my kids if i had to. So OK lets send my kids to get bullied and criticized by the teaches themselves & end up ending their life??? Whatever this is a bitch post! So Djinn is your group better?all i hear is ppl being mean!!

Quoting Djinn83:

In florida you have to pass a test to get permission to homeschool.

ETA: I don't k ow why some of you are so bent out of shape over this statement, I would think it would be a good thing. But let me clarify, in ESCAMBIA county, FL, to get permission from the school board to homeschool, they make you take an adult basic education test. (ABET). Whether this is an extra requirement for the county or not, I do not know. But if you are so confident in your abilities to homeschool, then this test shouldn't be such a big deal. Good grief.

momofpreemieboy
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Some people sometimes try to type the word correctly but because of sticking letters due to spillage on them (LOL) the word can come out like this. H ll hw yo tda. it was supposed to look like this. Hi all how are you today. And some really can't spell. Those are the scary ones, but even some teachers don't always spell right.

Quoting tahjismom:

I would much rather see these parents who make you cringe when they type simply supplement their kid's education than be the sole provider of it. You know, like a lot of these homeschooling parents who make me cringe when they type.

Quoting Anonymous:

I cringe when I see public school parents type on here. I wonder how they hell they can help their children with homework.

VanessaCB
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Reading this debate between homeschooler and public schoolers make me SO grateful for my DD's school.  It's a fabulous school and she is doing fantastic in every way. It's a charter school, and I know...... it having charter status does not make a school necessarily a great school, but in our case, it IS. 

TigerofMu
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:11 AM

sidesplittinglaughterI had not seen that one!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting TigerofMu:

Quoting Anonymo

us:

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sorry but even though homeschooled children may appear to be so very smart & can carry on good conversations with adults, they are freaks.  They just are.  They don't fit in with regular society and they dress funny and even look funny.  They are weird.  And so many of them get married at age 17 and like the freakin Duggar women they become submissive and then start having a bunch of kids.  What a waste of a smart person's brain!  It's pointless.  Why would you want to raise a kid who will forever be an outsider?  Oh I guess because YOU are an outsider. 

TigerofMu
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting TigerofMu:

Quoting Anonymo

us:

Quoting Anonymous:

new2this09
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:12 AM
My 7 yr old stepdaughter can do that.

What if the item is $67, and 20% off? I expected my students to be able to figure that out without a calculator (and preferably in their heads) after I taught them.

Quoting tmm0172:

This is awesome! You would pay $70 of course! :)

Quoting Sunnysdmom:

Really? I assume you shop. If you buy a $100 item and you get 30% off, how much would you pay? :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 84 on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Quoting TigerofMu:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting TigerofMu:

Quoting Anonymo

us:

Quoting Anonymous:

AlyCakes23
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:21 AM

OMG. I was homeschooled but my mother had a master's degree in education... I was under the impression that you were required to have some form of college education in order to homeschool....

TigerofMu
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:24 AM

That one did cross my mind :).  I like this one too.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting TigerofMu:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting TigerofMu:

Quoting Anonymo

us:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN