Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How would you feel if you went to a babyshower and then found out....

Posted by   + Show Post
That this is the girls 4th one for the same baby...so I'm not a huge fan of one of my best friends wives. Him and I have been really close since high-school, so whatever I am nice to her because I know how much he loves her. So I was really excited when I was invited to her baby shower. She was registered at baby R us, and most of the things she picked were very expensive. I ended up spending about 80$ on her gift. So while I'm at the baby shower I over heard someone say " I don't know where she is even going to put all her gift, this is the 4th shower she has had." I casually ask my friend and he said yep, one for family, one for work friends, one for her friends, one for his friends. I was kinda shocked, I have never heard of that before. Also I don't have a lot of money and I wanted to help them out, if I would have known this was her 4th shower I wouldn't have spent so much..but nothing I can do now. How would you have felt?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:07 AM
Replies (31-40):
keriley1
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

It makes sense to me. Sometimes you can't mix groups, it just doesn't work, so if others throw a party for you for that particular group then its no big deal to me. As long as guests aren't expected to go to every single party then I don't see what the problem is.

tyheamma
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I had three. My work gave me one. It was small, a few gifts that I loved (I still use that playpen daily after over 4 years) and gave everyone an excuse to eat some cake. My mother had planned a big on for me, but it would be darn near impossible for anyone from work to go. My MIL also wanted to throw one.

I think my MIL went to both family showers, but she was the only repeat guest. And I didn't get more stuff than I needed.

jennbitt
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:20 AM
I had two baby showers. A big one at my parents house and then a small one at my baby's fathers parents house for the people who couldn't attend the first one
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luna091306
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I'm having two baby showers. My sister is throwing me one for friends and family and then my coworkers are doing something for me at work. I didn't ask for either...they wanted to.

Meg48626
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:22 AM
Seems to me, she's awfully greedy, just looking for gifts. I mean how many work, family and friends does she have that she needed to have that many showers? I combined everyone into one shower, had about 50-70 people. And me personally, I would hate to have so many showers..they are so exhausting! But $80 is crazy, I wouldve been pissed, that's a lot of money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3xangel
by *Angelicious* on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:22 AM
How is having 4 baby showers NOT being greedy? <---- don't answer that. I don't feel like going back and forth about it. I think it's being greedy and you don't. Different opinions.

Quoting bluesky51201:

How is it greedy? People choose to throw showers, no one is forced. It seems like each person was only invited to one so its not grabby. I had three showers and felt blessed and loved that so many people wanted to celebrate our baby. Two of them were groups back home that took it upon themselves to have a party and give my baby things even though I couldn't be there.

Quoting 3xangel:

I think that's ridiculous and greedy. I would take the gift back and not go to the baby shower.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Yeah, I had 3 for my first dd. One from my co-workers, one from my friends and my dad's family, and one from my mom's family. My DD is getting ready for her first child and her Sorority sisters are planning one, Her sister and her friends are planning another, and the baby's other grandmother is planning one for the father's family.

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:23 AM

holy hell.... I had one for family and friends and one with my co-workers that they threw after work one day and it was a complete surprise because they were all invited to my family & friend shower.... it made me wonder why none of them showed up!

I would have been annoyed at the fact that she was having 4 showers.

AmyG1976
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:25 AM

why would I care how many showers she got thrown for her... I wouldn't care or think twice about it really. really you think she should of had one fine most ppl do but that one would of included all those ppl maybe it was just too many idk... and no I did not have any showers in fact so not defending for that reason.

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity"   MLK
~A wife of 14 years to B mommy of 16 years to J, 11 year old D, 9 year old M, and our miracle baby born at 26 weeks J 7 years.           http://www.freewebs.com/sacredjourneys/index.htm

vanna_k
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:25 AM
How many is too many? I had two. One for my family and friends and one for his family. I mean as long as she isn't the one throwing them for herself, I don't see an issue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)