Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How would you feel if you went to a babyshower and then found out....

Posted by   + Show Post
That this is the girls 4th one for the same baby...so I'm not a huge fan of one of my best friends wives. Him and I have been really close since high-school, so whatever I am nice to her because I know how much he loves her. So I was really excited when I was invited to her baby shower. She was registered at baby R us, and most of the things she picked were very expensive. I ended up spending about 80$ on her gift. So while I'm at the baby shower I over heard someone say " I don't know where she is even going to put all her gift, this is the 4th shower she has had." I casually ask my friend and he said yep, one for family, one for work friends, one for her friends, one for his friends. I was kinda shocked, I have never heard of that before. Also I don't have a lot of money and I wanted to help them out, if I would have known this was her 4th shower I wouldn't have spent so much..but nothing I can do now. How would you have felt?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:07 AM
Replies (311-320):
Bboysmommy11
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Not unheard of. My mom and SIL planned my baby shower. But the girls at work threw me one at work even tho they were all invited to the one my mom and SIL planned. They wouldnt all be able to make it do they surprised me at work. Then my dhs grandma had a small one with some of her friends from church and one of his aunts who was in from out of town. That one was a surprise as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkyheather
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd have taken the $80 gift back and got her a set of onesies. Not the babies fault but that's utterly ridiculous. What happened to the good old days when you had ONE? And don't get me started on the ones who have showers for ALL of their kids. I prefer the days when it was just ONE shower for the FIRST kid then that was it.

Queenfeld
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Thats pretty normal, Happens all the time.

michelleinfl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:02 PM

I know lots of people that have had multiple showers. It would not have bothered me at all.

daisyb
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:04 PM

I wouldn't "Feel" any kind of way- b/c i wouldn't care how many showers someone had- i'm not sure what the issue is- i'm sure she was happy about the gift she received from you..

vinalex0581
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:08 PM

don't know. i've never been to a baby shower. 

if something like that happened to me, i probably wouldn't have thought anything of it. 

i could see how you would be pissed but i wouldn't. 

llanib
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I think it would only bother you, if you have a problem with the girl in the first place! It's like you're looking for something to be mad about! You didn't have to spend 80.00 on a gift, whether or not she had one, two or three baby showers! It's the thought that counts RIGHT?confused

Jeni1124
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:13 PM

I had three showers. One with my family/friends, one with my husband's family and one at work. Who cares? I didn't "make out" on gifts either. The work shower was an excuse to eat cake and for them to give me a card that said they all pitched in and bought the carseat I wanted. The one with my family/friends and the one with husband's family was just easier to split because they don't live near each other...but each was small.

If I want to go to a shower and/or get a gift I don't care who else has already done that or how many times!

EthansMomma2010
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:14 PM

that wouldnt piss me off as much as when someone throws a shower for their 3rd or 4th child! by then you should be financially stable enough to buy whatever that baby needs. i dont care how long its been between children. i had a very small shower for my first and family threw me a long distance shower. so for my 2nd (whole new set of friends) i might have a shower with inexpensive gifts. but i think this chick sounds like a greedy bitch imo. 

jimi2626
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:14 PM
I would think it was tacky even if I liked her...the thing that really bothered me was that when I looked at her registry I felt bad because I thought no one was getting her anything off it. It turns out she just re-registered for every shower.

Quoting llanib:

I think it would only bother you, if you have a problem with the girl in the first place! It's like you're looking for something to be mad about! You didn't have to spend 80.00 on a gift, whether or not she had one, two or three baby showers! It's the thought that counts RIGHT?confused

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)