Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How would you feel if you went to a babyshower and then found out....

Posted by   + Show Post
That this is the girls 4th one for the same baby...so I'm not a huge fan of one of my best friends wives. Him and I have been really close since high-school, so whatever I am nice to her because I know how much he loves her. So I was really excited when I was invited to her baby shower. She was registered at baby R us, and most of the things she picked were very expensive. I ended up spending about 80$ on her gift. So while I'm at the baby shower I over heard someone say " I don't know where she is even going to put all her gift, this is the 4th shower she has had." I casually ask my friend and he said yep, one for family, one for work friends, one for her friends, one for his friends. I was kinda shocked, I have never heard of that before. Also I don't have a lot of money and I wanted to help them out, if I would have known this was her 4th shower I wouldn't have spent so much..but nothing I can do now. How would you have felt?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:07 AM
Replies (371-380):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 40 on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:23 AM

I had 4 showers.  My MIL threw one in her hometown for all the family up there.  My friends threw one where I live.  My church friends threw one.  My co-workers threw one.  These groups don't really interact with each other at all.  They are from different parts of my life.  It may have been uncomfortable to have my MIL at a shower my friend threw, etc.  I don't think it's uncommon.  I didn't ask for any of them, but people insisted.  I don't think showers are typically something that the expectant mother asks for.  I doubt that the same people were invited to each shower, nor do I think that it is wrong to have more than 1 for a baby (especially if it's the first).  I don't really get the showers for every kid (but that's just me).  Who really cares if there is more than one shower?  It sounds to me like you are looking for further reason not to like this woman.  

No idea how I posted that anonymous....oops.

RyansMommie07
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:27 AM

i had one baby shower... and im on my 3rd baby. wish i couldve had at least 1 per kid, but oh well. with the exception of diapers, weve already got everything we need for baby because my family and friends were so generous the first time around that everything has lasted through to this pregnancy/ baby. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Ryan and Troy are going to be Big Brothers!  Baby Boy Myers ... coming this summer!!!

agrisham13mom
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:27 AM
I had 3 different baby showers with my first baby because my work threw one, my MIL threw one, and then my mom threw one...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DixieL
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:27 AM

The same as you. She just needed one shower and invite everyone at once. I can't imagine that she would have so many friends that she would need four showers. Two at the most. One for her family and friends and one for his family and friends. To me having four showers is a little to tacky.

pristine729
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:29 AM
That's actually a good idea...wish I had thought of it ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DixieL
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

I had 4 showers.  My MIL threw one in her hometown for all the family up there.  My friends threw one where I live.  My church friends threw one.  My co-workers threw one.  These groups don't really interact with each other at all.  They are from different parts of my life.  It may have been uncomfortable to have my MIL at a shower my friend threw, etc.  I don't think it's uncommon.  I didn't ask for any of them, but people insisted.  I don't think showers are typically something that the expectant mother asks for.  I doubt that the same people were invited to each shower, nor do I think that it is wrong to have more than 1 for a baby (especially if it's the first).  I don't really get the showers for every kid (but that's just me).  Who really cares if there is more than one shower?  It sounds to me like you are looking for further reason not to like this woman.  

No idea how I posted that anonymous....oops.

That was different. At least one of them was in a different town than you lived in

katiepolk
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think you should be worrying about how many baby showers she has had. So what if she had 4 showers for the same baby or if she had one major shower and invited everyone to one really big one. From what I can tell no one pressured you into going or spending the $80 on the gift plus the gift really is not for her it is for the baby of one of your good friends why does her having more than one shower make you regret your gift.  I think you need to just get over it. 

BannerElkHogans
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Some people are really stupid an you really have to tell them.......hey dumb ass thats not the way it's done!   she sounds like a flaming Greedy ass......an like she was trying to get all the stuff for her baby withour her having any out-of -pocket -expense's- so in otyher words she wanted all the shit on her list ,but wanted everyone else to buy it an not for her to have to buy it.......GGGRREEDDYYY

alwayskk
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:36 AM

My sister in law had two showers. I *guess* she had a good reason- because she was from NOLA, living in Houston, and her family in each state couldn't travel. But I still thought it was kind of tacky, especially since she acted like the shower I threw her wasn't good enough (it was beautiful!)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 41 on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:49 AM

It was your choice to spend as much as you did. I wouldn't have thought that much about it. They obviously know a lot of people and I would rather go to a fourth shower than be crammed in a room with 100 people waiting for things to be over and done with. What difference does it make how many she has had? Same people would have been at one as opposed to spreading it out. I think you're jealous that you're not a popular as she is and you're resentful of her. I, personally, as the mother, wouldn't want you around that baby

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN