Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How would you feel if you went to a babyshower and then found out....

Posted by   + Show Post
That this is the girls 4th one for the same baby...so I'm not a huge fan of one of my best friends wives. Him and I have been really close since high-school, so whatever I am nice to her because I know how much he loves her. So I was really excited when I was invited to her baby shower. She was registered at baby R us, and most of the things she picked were very expensive. I ended up spending about 80$ on her gift. So while I'm at the baby shower I over heard someone say " I don't know where she is even going to put all her gift, this is the 4th shower she has had." I casually ask my friend and he said yep, one for family, one for work friends, one for her friends, one for his friends. I was kinda shocked, I have never heard of that before. Also I don't have a lot of money and I wanted to help them out, if I would have known this was her 4th shower I wouldn't have spent so much..but nothing I can do now. How would you have felt?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:07 AM
Replies (51-60):
jnttd
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:32 AM
Sounds ridiculous to me. I can understand 2 showers but 4 is kind of outrageous.

And I know what you mean about spending so much money on the gift. A girl I know moved to a different state for her husband and didn't have any family there. She was having her son a few months after I has my daughter so she sometimes asked me for advice on Facebook. I was pretty broke when she had her baby because I had just had mine. But I felt bad that they didn't have much so I shipped some gifts to their house. Later I see the new Chicco travel system and a million other nice things she got from flying home for a baby shower. I was a little upset I spent so much on a gift for some one I don't even really like but then I was REALLY pissed when I didn't get a thank you card or even the word "thanks" on Facebook. I had to ask her if she even got the package and she just said yes, not thank you or anything. Bitch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baquick
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:33 AM
I had 3 showers.
My work threw a little shower. It was an office hand-me-down party. A couple new things, but mostly, it was stuff they had from their kids that either was never worn or in good condition. It was also an office potluck.
I had one for my friends that one of my best friends (from work) threw for me. It was at a bar. We are pool hall junkies. Lol!
Then my grandmas BFF threw a party for the family, family friends and her friends.

My grandma had one too. They called it a "great grandma baby shower" and got her things for her to take care of the baby. It was mostly gag gifts and a pack and play for her etc. She was the first of her friends to be a great grandma. They were all pretty excited.

They were all pretty small. About 10 or so people each. (except the work office. Lol) The only really expensive thing I had on my registry was my stroller and carseat combo. And my 2 cousins and aunt went in on the gift together. Everything else was small stuff and clothes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mestiza_07
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:34 AM
I had 3 for my first. One from my moms side. My sil threw another one and my coworkers threw one for me. I didn't ask for any...they offered.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissyMegs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Well not sure if you all read the post where the OP stated she ASKED a person in each group to throw one for her.

To me there's a difference between asking and someone offering. To me, two baby showers is enough but at the same I would not ask someone to throw a shower for me. Unless people offered in all 4 groups to throw a party, then I'd say sure, have 4 parties.. But since the OP said she asked, it makes the situation a little more different. If you have to ask then your being greedy in my opinion, but if someone offers, then your not being greedy. 

Being a military spouse, we did this alot. The mother would have a baby shower for local friends and coworkers and then if able to fly.. fly home and have one there with family and friends. So two baby showers is not uncommon nowadays, but four is a bit extreme... 

3xangel
by *Angelicious* on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this
You telling your story doesn't change my opinion that 4 baby showers are ridiculous and seems greedy.

Quoting AmyG1976:

so she should of had one with all those ppl at it? would that make a difference in the end nope. lol not greedy you dont ask for showers and beg ppl to attend those throwing them want to do it. I threw my sister one I believe someone else did too I was not upset someone else wanted to give her one instead of all coming to the one I had in fact lol it was less ppl I had to pay to feed and what not.

Quoting 3xangel:

How is having 4 baby showers NOT being greedy? <---- don't answer that. I don't feel like going back and forth about it. I think it's being greedy and you don't. Different opinions.

Quoting bluesky51201:

How is it greedy? People choose to throw showers, no one is forced. It seems like each person was only invited to one so its not grabby. I had three showers and felt blessed and loved that so many people wanted to celebrate our baby. Two of them were groups back home that took it upon themselves to have a party and give my baby things even though I couldn't be there.

Quoting 3xangel:

I think that's ridiculous and greedy. I would take the gift back and not go to the baby shower.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Judesmom333
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:36 AM
With My first son I had 2 baby showers. The first was from dh' s family and the second was giving by my girlfriends.
NewJoyOn1308
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:36 AM
It doesn't matter how many showers you have just like it doesn't matter how much you spend. Most people I know don't even buy from the registry because they'd rather buy something they want for the baby, not necessarily something the baby needs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atyou
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I would feel happy for her/them that she has so much support. I didn't have a shower for either of my children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I had 3... My work threw one (surprise one) then my friends threw one, then my family threw one. I didn't ask it just happen.

3 parties in 3 days.... I felt honored really :)
baby2zacharias
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:37 AM
For my first I had 3. My moms friend threw me a surprise one, one for adults like my family/church, and one for kids (I was 16 at the time)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)