Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:19 PM
Replies (51-60):
Sweet_Britt
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this

She's stating HER personal reasons for homsechooling Tea : ) 

Your schools may be fantastic, but if they were really shitty, dont you think you'd seek out better for your kids? Knowing you could do better, wouldn't you chose that for your child?

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Quoting Anonymous:

*shrug* what is why you homeschool?  the quote?  ok.

The idea that school is being used as a means to an end. We aren't teaching our children that critical thinking and learning HOW TO learn is just as important.

Really? because my public schools teach EXACTLY that.  Critical thinking.

Ours don't. I've worked with some of the elementary school kids and if you didn't do the work EXACTLY like the teacher showed them or changed something just slightly they freaked out and were unable to figure it out. That isn't going to help them as they get older.

So? Not all elementary schools are lousy.  My kids schools were NOTHING like that-in fact one of their goals is to teach critical thinking skills.

Sweet_Britt
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Were you homeschooled? 

Quoting ihave1:

Bump for later. I'm using my cellphone & wasnt able to read what was posted. I'd love to be able to homeschool, but I want whats best for my daughter & Im to stupid to teach her anything. lol

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Quoting alyssaravensmom:

Do your kids like homeschool? I am thinking about what option I want to take for my daughters future.

They absolutely love it! =D They get to do so much more than they would in school with field trips and activities, not to mention that they only do sit down school work, on average 3 days a week for about 3 hours a day.

We ran into a lady I haven't seen in a while last Tuesday after we voted in the primary ( civics lesson,LOL) and she asked the boys if they liked homeschooling, and they said "Yes, we love it!!" It made me feel so encouraged because this year has been difficult for us.

That is great!

My kids spent a day with my Aunt in her high school special needs class. Then they went to the cafeteria for lunch, while in the halls with all the other students my son declared very loudly that it was "absolutely terrifying!" and then told my aunt that the cafeteria smelled like bacteria. LMAO!

They hate the idea of going to a public school!

So how will they handle college? Or will there be no college, as careers are unimportant?

They will go to community college around 15/16 years old. I never said that careers were unimportant. I believe that kids need to grow up learning HOW TO learn and how to use their critical thinking skills and then apply them to their lives.

what makes you think they will like community college? I mean they are used to learning at their own pace, and only 3 hours a day of sit down work. Community college will be a LOT more than that!

I refused to enroll my gifted daughter in college at that age ( well  13 was the earliest age she could have gone)-and she was used to an 8 hour school day.

I wanted her to have time to be a kid-and not be rushed off to college before she could enjoy it.

My husband was homeschooled and LOVED college! He felt that it was the same principle, getting to have discussions about the material and to express his thoughts and be challenged and be allowed to challenge the teachers.

I think that my children will really like college.

For them to graduate from high school, our only requirement is that they take the college entrance exam and test into all college level classes.

"college enteranc exam"? do you mean the SATS?  Because last I saw they required a GED to graduate from high school and enter community college. My daughter was offered a duel enrollment program at 13 which would have her done with high school and with a college degree in 5-6 years.

That would have sucked in retrospect.  Her 4 years of college have done her a world of good on so many levels.

They are tested every year, it is required by the state.

At our community college, you take a placement exam before you can enroll in classes and we will require that our children get placed in the 101 classes or higher before they graduate from high school. In our state, they graduate when we feel they are ready and we give them a diploma. It doesn't matter what age.

Our homeschooling conference every summer does a ceremony for the kids graduating that year. They wear a cap and gown, walk and receive their diploma.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Quoting Mamaknowsbest26:

I am a product of public education, and I am thankful for it. My high school is routinely in the top 20 national schools, as are several other schools in my district. I've had bad teachers, sure, but that didn't outweigh the benefits of an education. Learning abilities and desires depend on the student, not the teacher. I never once was taught to memorize or regurgitate information for standardize tests. I was taught a curriculum and certain aspects of that curriculum were covered on those tests. My parents' couldn't have taught me physics, chemistry, calculus and trigonometry - all my favorite subjects. Both of my parents are very skilled in math, but to a certain extent. My mother is a budget analyst, and my father is in construction. I value the education I received. I am thankful for my education coming from competent, informed, educated individuals versus my parents.

I personally find that people who homeschool their children are socially awkward themselves. Most tend to be religious and simply do not want their child exposed to certain things. It also appears if the child has even the slightest difficulty in learning, parents blame the teachers and immediatly withrawal them from school, thinking they can do a better job.

We are def not socially awkward. LOL. We surround ourselves with friends and family. They kids go on at least 20-30 organized field trips a year with our co-op, they take 3 classes with the co-op, participate in ballet/tap, soccer and swimming.

We are Atheists.

We don't censor our children at all. They are exposed to life, the good and the bad. Another reason we homeschool.

We've never blamed the teachers, although our kids have never been to an outside school.

We do feel that the school system as a whole is broke and needs to be torn down and rebuilt from the grown up.

FL2AK
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 2:49 PM
3 moms liked this
It is very possible to supplement a public education. I don't expect the schools to be the main educators of my children. That is our job as parents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 2:49 PM
2 moms liked this

I've debated with her before. LOL. She will never understand or agree but it is fun to debate when I am bored.

Quoting Sweet_Britt:

She's stating HER personal reasons for homsechooling Tea : ) 

Your schools may be fantastic, but if they were really shitty, dont you think you'd seek out better for your kids? Knowing you could do better, wouldn't you chose that for your child?

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Quoting Anonymous:

*shrug* what is why you homeschool?  the quote?  ok.

The idea that school is being used as a means to an end. We aren't teaching our children that critical thinking and learning HOW TO learn is just as important.

Really? because my public schools teach EXACTLY that.  Critical thinking.

Ours don't. I've worked with some of the elementary school kids and if you didn't do the work EXACTLY like the teacher showed them or changed something just slightly they freaked out and were unable to figure it out. That isn't going to help them as they get older.

So? Not all elementary schools are lousy.  My kids schools were NOTHING like that-in fact one of their goals is to teach critical thinking skills.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Quoting FL2AK:

It is very possible to supplement a public education. I don't expect the schools to be the main educators of my children. That is our job as parents.

I agree with this, unfortunately, I don't see that attitude very often.

AdellesMom
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 2:52 PM
Meh...I don't homeschool. Even if I could homeschool, I wouldn't. lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Quoting AdellesMom:

Meh...I don't homeschool. Even if I could homeschool, I wouldn't. lol

Okay!

conweis
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I homeschool cause my oldest was failing public school. Common sense tells me if the professionals are failing my child then maybe the system is flawed and needs an over haul. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured