Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I DO NOT WANT YOUR USED BABY STUFF

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My husband and I are currently expecting our first child together.

His family has a few baby items left over and are trying to give those items to us. Normally, I would not mind but considering this is our first, I would like to go ahead and buy some of the items new to celebrate the baby. Plus, I know the items they are wanting to give us have been used by multiple other children. I am unsure how safe they are considering they have been through multiple children and I am unsure how clean they are because I know that this specific family member in question is not a very clean person.

Am I wrong for telling dh I do not want to use the items? I told him we could pick them up, but I do not feel comfortable using the items on our child. 

Dh said we could pick them up and post them on CL and use the money to buy stuff we want for our child but I do not know if I would feel comfortable letting another person use these items on their children. He said to post on the ad that these items are used by various children and need to be cleaned. That way the person can make an informed decision.

Opinions, please.

ETA: CL was dh's idea. Also, we have the funds to buy for our child but the family member in question is trying to get rid of the baby items so their daughter does not try and get pregnant again. Again, these items have been used for over 3 years by at least 2 other children NOT including this family member's child.

So that is 3 kids in 3 years. I am NOT comfortable with that for safety and cleanliness reasons.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:44 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 29, 2012 at 2:42 PM
Not blind by jealousy...just upset that she has someone giving to her and she doesn't seem grateful

Quoting Ireallydontcare:

No, she is not ungrateful. She just wants what she wants. It isn't for HER it is for HER CHILD. Maybe if you weren't blinded by jealousy you could see that? This is her first child. If she wants to purchase new items, then she should be able to purchase said items without people calling her ungrateful. Used furniture CAN be a hazard. That is a fact.

You yourself said you HAVE to use it. This implies if given the option you would choose to have new items. Nothing wrong with that.

Quoting Anonymous:

There is nothing wrong with used baby stuff I have to use it because I am homeless and jobless....I know your thinking just get a job but it's not that simple. Your ungrateful and some people,people like me, would appreciate having thing given to them

lady-t3984
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this
A bouncer is okay,the swing is okay,if, it is clean,and all parts are intact. But,I have a problem with you taking someone belongings,then selling it. If,you don't want their gifts of family hand me downs, just say," I know its family traditions to pass down baby things,but I don't want it". Now,you may hurt some feelings,and the family may think you are acting snobbish,but at least you are being truthful. Congrats on baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bethanyb0325
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 2:54 PM
When I had my first, I wanted everything new. I don't like used stuff personally.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 29, 2012 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

The stuff you are talking about I would not want either.  I also wouldn't try to sell them.  I was going to say donate them until I read the post with your list of the items.  I'd probably just get rid of them completely, like in the dumpster.  I don't have a problem with gently used clothes or toys but no furniture, car seats or anything like that.  Some things just should not be passed down anymore.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 29, 2012 at 3:00 PM
Only things I refused to have used was crib, mattress, and car seat.
One_Of_A_Kind
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 3:05 PM

If you don't want them I wouldn't take them. Just tell his family you would like to buy the first items for your new baby. Then tell them thanks for thinking of you. Or you could take the items use them once or twice and then donate them. It is no different to me than buying something at a thrift store. You just need to clean whatever it is really good before you use it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 29, 2012 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this

She is not grateful because what is being pushed on her is dirty and apparently was not well kept up with.  That kind of thing is not a gift.  It is rude to give someone, anyone, dirty junky things that have been well worn and used to the point that the receiver is not comfortable taking them.   

Quoting Anonymous:

Not blind by jealousy...just upset that she has someone giving to her and she doesn't seem grateful

Quoting Ireallydontcare:

No, she is not ungrateful. She just wants what she wants. It isn't for HER it is for HER CHILD. Maybe if you weren't blinded by jealousy you could see that? This is her first child. If she wants to purchase new items, then she should be able to purchase said items without people calling her ungrateful. Used furniture CAN be a hazard. That is a fact.

You yourself said you HAVE to use it. This implies if given the option you would choose to have new items. Nothing wrong with that.

Quoting Anonymous:

There is nothing wrong with used baby stuff I have to use it because I am homeless and jobless....I know your thinking just get a job but it's not that simple. Your ungrateful and some people,people like me, would appreciate having thing given to them

sheinadora
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 3:06 PM
I wouldn't take a car seat, crib or pack and play. Swings are wonderful and the seats cushion is removable for washing. I don't know your finances but these things ate costly. If you don't want them just say thanks but my friends are throwing me a baby shower and I'm getting all thus stuff new. It could be your in laws are trying to be helpful, it's sticky in these situations. Try to make the best of it, your blessed you dont have my in laws from hell!
One_Of_A_Kind
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I agree with this too :>)

Quoting lady-t3984:

A bouncer is okay,the swing is okay,if, it is clean,and all parts are intact. But,I have a problem with you taking someone belongings,then selling it. If,you don't want their gifts of family hand me downs, just say," I know its family traditions to pass down baby things,but I don't want it". Now,you may hurt some feelings,and the family may think you are acting snobbish,but at least you are being truthful. Congrats on baby.

weezer_cookie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 3:07 PM
I would accept everything, then donate what I don't want to Goodwill.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN