Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Oh no she didn't

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies

I want others opinion about meds for ADHD.

We decided to have our 11 yr old evaluated and the doc confirmed that she is ADHD. They have her on Focalin XR but by the time she gets home from school at 2:45 she is hyper. Should we talk to her doc and she if she needs her meds switched?

What is your opinon on ADHD medications?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:26 PM

DS1 has days where his wear off around HW time, so we do a small dose of Adderall so he can make it through HW. 

Have you tried Intuniv? It tends to make the effects of whatever it's taken w/ last longer.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Why not allow her to exert some of the built up energy she has from sitting in a classroom all day? Why medicate a child who is hyperactive? My son is off the fucking walls at times, and when he gets enough exercise he is fine. He cannot sit still, he fidgets makes noises, something to keep his body in motion at all times. He has trouble focusing, but with redirection he is fine.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:18 PM

She started out on 5 mgs and it is not lasting her, So the doctor decided to start her on 10 mgs Monday. If this does not work we will have to switch her meds again..

Quoting Anonymous:

DS1 has days where his wear off around HW time, so we do a small dose of Adderall so he can make it through HW. 

Have you tried Intuniv? It tends to make the effects of whatever it's taken w/ last longer.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:22 PM

She has been diagnosed with ADHD. I firmly believe it alright to medicate for this. She is an ass at school, if she misses a dose.Her teacher even has seen a difference and she told her " your grades have picked up significantly since the meds". She should of been put on this a few yrs back.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why not allow her to exert some of the built up energy she has from sitting in a classroom all day? Why medicate a child who is hyperactive? My son is off the fucking walls at times, and when he gets enough exercise he is fine. He cannot sit still, he fidgets makes noises, something to keep his body in motion at all times. He has trouble focusing, but with redirection he is fine.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:23 PM

bump

thinkpink2012
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:24 PM
I was prescribed Concerta but have yet to fill it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDADanceMom
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:24 PM

My son takes ritalin LA.  It wears off around dinner time so it can be hard if we have evening activities.  If we know something is going on we give him 10mg of regular ritalin at 5pm

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:55 AM

DS1 takes Vyvanse 40mg, plus Intuniv 3mg in the morning... if it wears off (which it usually doesn't until later) then he just takes 5-10mg of adderall to help him focus on his homework.

Good luck!!

Quoting Anonymous:

She started out on 5 mgs and it is not lasting her, So the doctor decided to start her on 10 mgs Monday. If this does not work we will have to switch her meds again..

Quoting Anonymous:

milfanyway
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:01 AM
My son is very adhd. He had been on intuniv for about a year. We just started focalin in addition to it and have seen some improvements. Like major improvements. his dr recommended an additional dose in the afternoon, but of the not time released variety. We tried that but it seemed to make it worse. Honestly I would recommend a medication trial period. It can really help you find what works.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoneBad31
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:08 AM

The purpose of ADHD meds are not to make life easier for the parents, but to improve the child's chances of learning. The meds are usually to get them through the day at school so they can learn and not disrupt the others' learning process.

Not being snarky, but I have been through this myself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)