Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

im unedumacated and i homescool

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I got pregnant at the end of my junior year of high school and due to many unfortunate circumstances I left school. I was an A and B student and my best subjects were math and English. I was highly involved in the arts and took great pride in school. I absolutely loved learning new things. I am so tired of seeing these posts on homeschooling saying that you need to be educated to teach your children at home. Who are you to define educated? I never got my GED and at the moment I don't plan on it. My family is doing well and my children are ahead of most of the children they hang out with who go to regular school. None of my children are old enough for grade school. They are already ahead because I work with them. We also make great use of our daily lives and use things like looking at the rain clouds to teach them lessons. 

I have many college graduate friends I can't honestly hold an intelligent conversation with. I start speaking to them and their eyes glaze over. Are they more equipped to teach my children than I am? I don't need a piece of paper to tell me I'm intelligent because I know I am. I'm also smart enough to realize that there may be a time when their schooling goes way past my ability. When that happens I will seek help from other homeschooling parents and/or tutors. I am not good at every thing but it'll be awhile before I have to worry about all of that. 

Okay now bash away. I know people are going to go through and dissect everything I have written and find something wrong. 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:04 AM
Replies (161-170):
BamaMomto4
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I know a few teachers and they have told me the bulk of their classes are on classroom management. Homeschoolers have access to many of the same resources teachers have. including teacher's editions of some of the textbooks that are out there.I've even seen some where theteachers manual has a script for the teacher/parent to follow. 

Quoting MrCruzito:

I just wonder what these teachers learn in college....I mean, if every sahm can do it and by their account much better and without so much as a ged, what do they do those four plus years? I personally think teachers should teach, just like I think doctors should doctor, drivers should drive etc. im not totally against it, like if kids are disabled and cant or whatever...but for the most part I think kids should go to school.

Lisa

BamaMomto4
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:52 AM

I don't need to teach my son. He has the ability to read and has great comprehension skills.He actually can read better than dh ,unless it's a technical manual related to dh's work.Dh has a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering. Homeschooling doesn't have to happen during public school hours. My son prefers to start his work in the late afternoon.Since he and i both tend to be night owls it works well for us. Whe he s doenwith onesubject he moves on to the next without having to wait for the teacher/bell to tell him it's time to move on to the next subject. He did a lot of waiting when he was in public school.

Quoting Anonymous:

I worry about our future since so many people are homeschooling and unschooling. Im not against homeschooling if you are really going to teach your children but alot of parents arent teaching them at all or just teaching them the basics to pass the exams at end of year. I have a friend that homeschooled and instead of teaching her child, they ran around shopping all day and the child slept all day.

Lisa

BamaMomto4
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:11 AM

I don't care what you go around telling people.I get what she means.If you don't ..oh well.It doesn't matter to me.

Quoting iluv2meow:

And yet you expect me to run around telling the youth "Hey these guys did it! You guys don't need EDUCATION to succeed!"

While I respect they got "Lucky" but how many out of billions of people in the world are going to strike that kind of LUCK? Is it high enough we can actually convince our kids education isn't that important and wait for the right opportunity?

Alrighty then.

I do not admire someone that is too lazy to further their education, famous, rich, or NOT.

Quoting BamaMomto4:

Running her busines is pathetic?  Would you consider these people to be pathetic: Dave Thomas( founder of Wendy's) , George Bernard Shaw,George Eastman(creator of the Kodak company),Quetin Taratino, Richard Pryor, Peter Jennings, Peter Jackson(diretor of The Lord Of The Rings) ? 

Not one of them finished high school.

Quoting iluv2meow:

I do a lot of hobbies they are not neccessary either, for example I took cake classes, attend scrapbooking meets, so forth... The fact is, I don't narrow or limit myself to thinking I am all mighty because I happen to be Honor roll in high school although you dropped out like your some kind of shining role model for others to look up to.

Seriously, you are hardly even one to admire. I think it is pathetic regards to your attitude.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting iluv2meow:

I dont understand why it is such a task for you to finish your schooling and get your GED especially since you can get it online now. Sounds a bit lazy and honestly, I think it is a poor choice of role modeling you are setting up to your kids.

It's not laziness. I just don't feel the need to get it because it's not something I see as a need or want. I am doing well in my life and getting my GED won't change what I am doing with my life. I will still be running my business, still home schooling, and growing my own food. What's the point? 

Lisa

BamaMomto4
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Anyone that wants to can educate themselves further without going to college.There are many resourses available.The most economical ones being books borrowed from the library or friends/family.

Quoting iluv2meow:

I feel sorry for them that they think that they cannot further their education, or complete their education regardless if they have a good job or not. Seriously, I don't see that as admirable. Many people with GOOD jobs in this world. Not many further their education, insight, and talents and expand themselves more.

Quoting Anonymous:

why feel sorry for them if they are happy... nothing to feel sorry for...

Quoting iluv2meow:

I understand some people do not want to complete their education. I feel sorry for those people.

I have a good job, I had a good job. Just because I had or have a GOOD job doesn't mean I shouldn't further my education.

Quoting Anonymous:

Not everyone wants to... Whats wrong with that if that have a good job and they are happy?

Quoting iluv2meow:

And yet you expect me to run around telling the youth "Hey these guys did it! You guys don't need EDUCATION to succeed!"

While I respect they got "Lucky" but how many out of billions of people in the world are going to strike that kind of LUCK? Is it high enough we can actually convince our kids education isn't that important and wait for the right opportunity?

Alrighty then.

I do not admire someone that is too lazy to further their education, famous, rich, or NOT.

Lisa

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:27 AM
Don't argue with her. She thinks her disability and her attempting to finish her degree makes her better than everyone. God forbid you homeschool and be a minority and GASP!! an illegal immigrant!! Oh nos! Yous is evils!

Quoting Achromia:

You have a sour attitude towards homeschoolers.

Quoting iluv2meow:

So in your opinion you feel that nurses, doctors, and other high paid professions are worthless attending college and that anyone can be a nurse or doctor by starting at the bottom with self training or training hands on (follow along) and that is what you want to teach your kids? Alrighty then

I think your perception on education stinks considering you are looking for excuses to not be educated, verses being educated.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting iluv2meow:

Don't forget the almighty attitude, I dont need no education or GED to be the BEST in this world.

I think the attitude is very sad considering one can always use more education, ALWAYS.

Quoting Mamaknowsbest26:

I find it quite odd that you are going to be educating your children and more than likely teaching them the value of education, while never having completed high school. I understand you got pregnant, had some issues and were likely left with no alternative, but there is no excuse to not have at least a GED. I think it send the wrong message to your children, and will only seem hypocritical of you. Just think of when your children are in the sophomore/junior year of high school and they start to lose interest in school. If one comes to you and says, "Why should I have to finish school, you never did?" How are you going to react to that?

I'm not trying to sound all high and mighty I just have a very different view on things. 

While I value education I don't value the system in which we push our children into. I do not feel that college is a necessity and we push our children so hard to go. Most people don't end up using their degrees and just end up in debt. Yes, if my children want to go to college I will be there to love and support them. I do consider myself a success because I did have a rough start but I found something I enjoyed and was good at and I made sure I was able to rely on myself. My biggest hope in life is that my children will do the same. That they will find skills they are good at and use those to make a living rather than jumping onto the bandwagon of debt and working to pay off debt. If there is anything I can really teach them that would be it.

BamaMomto4
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:29 AM

I lived right here in Alabama.Homeschooling was illegal back then.Some people still did it but they risked jail or heavy fines. 

I know that at one time there were no public schools(which proves that people can get an education without a piece of paper from a governemnt instituton).But in the 60's public school was mandatory and homeschooling was illegal. Homeschooling did not become legal in eveyr state until 1993.

Quoting Anonymous:

Where did you live in 1968 that homeschooling was illegal? Homeschooling has been going on for 100's of years. Hell at one time in some areas there was no such thing as public schools.

Quoting BamaMomto4:

I learned to read at 3 or 4 yrs old. When I started school in 1st grade(no public K available here back in 1968) I memorized the first Dick and Jane story in our reader in less than 10 minutes.If homeschooling had bene legal back thenI have a feeling my mother would have done it in a heartbeat.She didn't have a college degree but did did have soem tecahing experience.She got it way back in the late 30's and early 40's.She went to a two room country school. One room held 1st to 3rd graders the other had 4th thru 6th. By the time she as in 3rd grade the teacher was letting her teach the first graders. In 6th grade she was allowed to be a substitute teacher when the 1st thru 3rd grade teacher was absent.

Quoting llanib:

I home-school as well and my 5 year old reads at a 4th grade level. She really doesn't start kindergarten until this fall, but is already ahead of her kindergarten friends in our neighborhood. None of them can read or do basic arithmetic. I do have a college degree though! I don't knock other people that are homeschooling without a college degree! I refuse to put my child into public school! I don't have the 20k a year for private school, so I figured I will do it myself! and will continue to do so!!!!eff what other people think!!!! do what YOU feel is best for YOUR children!!!!

Lisa

iluv2meow
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:33 AM

Correction, two degrees. At least I attempt to better my life and education instead of depending on stroke of luck to get by while patting myself for failing and REFUSING to get at least minimal of GED. A real person with real sense would see that failing to attempt to get your GED is risky into the future.

SMART people further their education or make sure they have the proper education to secure their future.

As for illegals (that is another debate) as for homeschooling, not once was I discussing HOMESCHOOLING in general. I was discussing the OP not willing to get her GED and further her own education.

Quoting Anonymous:

Don't argue with her. She thinks her disability and her attempting to finish her degree makes her better than everyone. God forbid you homeschool and be a minority and GASP!! an illegal immigrant!! Oh nos! Yous is evils!

Quoting Achromia:

You have a sour attitude towards homeschoolers. 

iluv2meow
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:34 AM

I have never met an employer that hired someone because they educated themselves reading books and surfing google.

Quoting BamaMomto4:

Anyone that wants to can educate themselves further without going to college.There are many resourses available.The most economical ones being books borrowed from the library or friends/family.

Quoting iluv2meow:

I feel sorry for them that they think that they cannot further their education, or complete their education regardless if they have a good job or not. Seriously, I don't see that as admirable. Many people with GOOD jobs in this world. Not many further their education, insight, and talents and expand themselves more.

BamaMomto4
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:44 AM

where did I say surfing google.Although it is good placeto start if you don't know of any educational websites  . I also never mentioned anything about educating yourself for employment. Bettering yourself doesn't have to be done for the purpose of getting a job or earning more money in a current job. It can be just because a person has a desire to learn more about anything from aardvarks to zits. 

Quoting iluv2meow:

I have never met an employer that hired someone because they educated themselves reading books and surfing google.

Quoting BamaMomto4:

Quoting iluv2meow:

Lisa

manda-nicole010
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:46 AM

I think its great that you are getting them started early. Teaching elementary school and high school are two different things. High in tune are you with all the latest requierments for school? What's the highest level of math and english you've completed/can teach. 

Those are things to consider when homeschooling. Obviously, you have time to figure that out... but yeah. I don't think homeschooling is wrong. I plan on homeschooling. I just want to make sure I am not learning the subject with my child.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured