Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Teachers who can barely read

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 72 Replies

If a teacher can barely read, should she be teaching any subject?  Is it ok for her to teach something like math or science?

I'm talking about like when she reads from a book, it takes her forever because she keeps pausing at every other word to read it before she says it out loud. 

What do you think?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AlyBren
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:16 AM
5 moms liked this

Reading aloud is totally different than being able to read.

I'm an extremely efficient reader with strong analytical and comprehensive skills. It took me 3 years of public speaking and teaching courses to be able to read aloud well. For me it wasn't even nerves, it was my pacing. I read faster than I can speak and by the time I got the first word out, I was already halfway through the sentence, so I'd stumble and have to backtrack constantly.

I have never, however, had problems speaking to a class, connecting with students, identifying needs, explaining material, or comprehending what I teach. Which alone makes me more competent than 90% of the teachers I had before university.

EmilyMarshall
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:58 AM
bump

iluv2meow
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:00 AM

Hell after bickering in a post tonight I dont think teachers need a GED to teach!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:01 AM

I think your full of shit because she never would have made it out of college if she can't read. 

VioletSpirit
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:02 AM
Lol, let me guess...a homeschooling mom?

Quoting iluv2meow:

Hell after bickering in a post tonight I dont think teachers need a GED to teach!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
writingafwife
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:04 AM

maybe she has dsylexia and it takes her a moment. I am a faster reader when Im reading to myself but if im reading a story to my kids, unless it is one I have read a million times, it takes me a few min to get through a page. reading out loud is not the same as reading in your head. Can you read as fast out loud as you can in your head?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:04 AM

To homeschool they don't. Public school teachers take extensive national tests before becoming certified. They have to read to pass the test. Doesn't mean they are a great teacher, it just means they can read and have retained the information they learned in college education classes. Another bullshit post about how you don't need a GED or high school diploma. 

Quoting iluv2meow:

NDADanceMom
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:08 AM

I dont have enough info.  Maybe english isnt her native language and she is translating in her head as she goes.  Maybe she has dyslexia.  

Teachers have to pass a PPST test before even starting college courses on teaching.  Pre professional skills tests are timed and ensure teachers have certain basic skills like reading. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:10 AM

Really? All my kids have teachers that can read. Never came across one that couldn't. Oh, well, I guess this is just another people with degrees are idiots post.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:11 AM

I guess someone who can't read can pass all the PRAXIS exams also. I mean you don't have to be able to read to get into college, do you?

Quoting NDADanceMom:

I dont have enough info.  Maybe english isnt her native language and she is translating in her head as she goes.  Maybe she has dyslexia.  

Teachers have to pass a PPST test before even starting college courses on teaching.  Pre professional skills tests are timed and ensure teachers have certain basic skills like reading. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)