Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Extra Money?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Its really weird to have "extra" money in my bank account. Im used to having 200$ in my account after all monthly bills and expenses. This month, after just bills, I have a thousand dollars in my account. :O All I really have to spend money on this month is gas which will probably be 50$ for the month.

Im thinking instead of a shopping spree or a tattoo,which I really want to do(lol), I'll stock my pantry and save the rest for school clothes and supplies for my son for next year. It really fucking sucks to be a "responsible adult" :'(

Is it weird for you to have extra money?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:01 AM
Replies (11-20):
cmeeso
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:14 AM

No, I panic if there isn't extra money in the bank! LOL

Though measley, we make sure 600 dollars is put towards our savings every month, if not more.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:15 AM
I haven't gotten a tattoo since may 2008... Not going to happen any time soon either. A tattoo wont help me feed or clothe my kids or be there for an emergency.

Quoting Elyce225:

Why would you spend it on something you don't need?  This is why people never have extra money.  If I were in the position where 1,000 dollars is extra I would be saving it for an emergency.  

If you are going to spend it I would stock the pantry like you said, not get a tattoo.

towerjunkie1989
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I usually put extra money towards savings or getting out of debt. If my kids and I haven't done anything fun lately, or my oldest goes a month without an accident at night(we are on week two), I may spend some to go do something. She's really wanted to go to Chuck E Cheese, but I don't have enough so we may go to the Zoo when she hits the 1 month mark. I normally don't have extra, but I am normally smart about it when I do have it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:22 AM
I usually have 2,000 in checking after bills, any more than that gets sent to savings
mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:25 AM

No lol i strive to try and save to make sure there is extra for emergencies. But congrats mama, yay for responsible adults :)

CoolRelax
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Yes, although I would say that we're not in a position where any money is really "extra" at this point, lol.  There's always somewhere that we could put it responsibly. 

On a side note - I notice that amongst my friends, the ones who think of anything above bills as "extra" are the ones who struggle the most. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I would have to have thousands of dollars in the bank for it to be considered "extra".  I would suggest you put it in a savings account for a rainy day.  You never know when an appliance might break down, your car could be damaged, or a medical bill might pop up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:27 AM
I put it away to save so I can visit my oldest son :)
thehickinhickor
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:27 AM
Just leave it there move some to saving it'll grow faster if you just let it sit not need to rush out and buy food if you don't need it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoolRelax
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Elyce225:

Why would you spend it on something you don't need?  This is why people never have extra money.  If I were in the position where 1,000 dollars is extra I would be saving it for an emergency.  

If you are going to spend it I would stock the pantry like you said, not get a tattoo.

LOL - Elyce we usually agree on money and school.  I was thinking the same thing.  It's going to take us quite a while before we have anything like "extra" money.  Houses paid off, retirement and college savings set, then we can talk about "extra" money.  Until then it's all necessary money.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)